• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NCLaker,

Absolutely, I agree, hopefully a few reading this thread will get the idea and start to properly load the boats. I've often taken the time to mention it to a few at the launch that they are creating a hazard with the blow outs with some apologizing and some just blowing me off. At least I made the effort to educate a few of these guys. If done properly, especially with rollers, you can save a lot of time and no need to wade out into the water and crank the boat in with usually poor results and a crooked boat on the trailer. Just watch Laub or a few of the boys from Frankies when they load the boats, its almost an art.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deitz Dittrich

• NCLaker

• kaine

• TR21

TR21, thanks for doing what you can to educate people. It is always nice to have people willing to provide helpful advice to those that need it (even if they don't think they do wink

• 4 months later...

Thinking about heading out there tomorrow - anyone hit it this weekend at all?

How's the ice, how bad is the crowd, and how good is the bite?

Hoping that the sub zero temps will keep most people at home, but not this guy!

I was able to make it out there yesterday, even though there are no other replies to this topic there have been plenty of views so I figured I would give a report...

Found my way to a 30' bowl, drilled a line of holes starting deep and headed toward the shallow. Graphed quite a bit in the first couple holes, so much that I thought the vex had interference or was malfunctioning from a dead batt. Turned out that wasn't the case, crappies were graphed from 15' all the way down to the bottom (depth was 28-30 fow).

They were hitting pretty light, but loved the small green glow jig with GULP! fish fry and a red jig with matching bloodworm plastic when they grew tired of the gulp. I wasn't using a springbobber, but think I would have had many more hookups if I did.

Had pretty consistent action from 10am-12, not many fish over 7" though.

Also found 12-14" of ice, top few inches were questionable. Couple of full sized pickup trucks were on the ice near us, you could feel and hear the ice buckle quite a bit. Only a handful of permanents were around us, so the crowd wasn't bad at all smile.

I had similar luck to Shnelson ealier this year.. Tons of fish, but rare to find one over 7".

There have been trucks on it, but I am not driving mine on yet.. I personally do not think its quite safe yet.

Do you feel the ice would be safe all over with a Polaris Ranger SidexSide ATV?

Is there any areas to be concerned about?

I'm curious if I put in at the Public Access could I get up to the North End without any problems

Dietz do you know if its safe to run the Channel between Chisago and S. Lindstrom as well with my Ranger or is the ice questionable.

I want to come up this weekend and hit a couple lakes but leave my truck and trailer at the access but move around on the lakes

Do you feel the ice would be safe all over with a Polaris Ranger SidexSide ATV?

Is there any areas to be concerned about?

I'm curious if I put in at the Public Access could I get up to the North End without any problems

Dietz do you know if its safe to run the Channel between Chisago and S. Lindstrom as well with my Ranger or is the ice questionable.

I want to come up this weekend and hit a couple lakes but leave my truck and trailer at the access but move around on the lakes

I'd never consider it 'safe', but personally I would be comfortable running a Ranger through the channel. I've seen plenty of ATV traffic out there over the past couple weeks. Not sure what they have for thickness now, but it's got to be over 8-10" as that is what I was sitting on last I was out. Stick to other's tracks and you should be alright - wouldn't be a bad idea to pop a couple 'feeler' holes on your way out just to be certain though.

Like Deitz, I'm going to give it some more time before I think about bringing my truck out. Seeing up to 14" in some spots, but I question the integrity of the top half after our christmas dumping.

Wolfpac-I think shnellson covered it above. Its up to you. I dont feel its safe yet for "Me"..

the channel, may be safe as its always the first to freeze. But I always hesitate to tell someone else it safe, find out for yourself. In my opinion, "IF" and only "IF" I was to drive on the ice, it would be the channel.

ON my way home from work I saw full size trucks in the channel, and on N.Lindstrom, and S.Listrom.. BUT THEY WERE NOT MY TRUCK!!!! I will wait another week at least...!

I saw full sizes out on one of those lakes (the last one as you head towards hwy 95) 2 weeks ago, we couldn't believe it

• 3 months later...

Anyone have a report on the ramp off Hwy 8 on North Center? How about the channel between North and South Center.

I am thinking of hitting this lake for opener, opinions are welcome.

Thanks

how big a boat you got?

Last I heard, you are not going to make it between the lakes, but the access on N.Center was Ok.. not great.. but ok.

I was out with a buddy today on north center and its right down to the last chunk of concrete. Looking at the channel I dont think youd get through. Its pretty amazing how low everything is in the whole chisago area but when I was out there this winter there was not near the amount of snow that there was west of the cities and its been so dry, it will take LOTS of rain to get those lakes anywhere near normal.

I would'nt write it off just because the water is low. We had a pretty good time and caught a lot more than crappies.

The water is pretty low right now in the Chisago area. Other lakes I have been to this year don't seem as bad with its water level. Perhaps the rain is missing Chisago.

personally i think the water level is receding just like it rose in the early 70s when they had to move some of the houses on the shore lines to a higher elevation like on big marine. and from what i have heard the land where the channel is that connects chisago and south lindstrom lakes used to be a potato field. just a theory but im starting to wonder if thats not whats happening since all of these lakes seem to be connected by an underground spring.

its a theory.. its true that the lakes were much smaller back in the 60's. hope we dont go back that way.. if so, some new landings will be needed for sure.

Rain would help but talk from old timers an people live long time on lake feel under ground springs stopped feeding lakes.

Might be something to it?

Or can't keep up with LEAK.

smile

Something got to give....RAIN would be good for everyting round whole area for sure.....amazing change in water levels an weed growth in just 20 years...amazing.

Had hounds swimming North Center launch last night....be carfeful with larger rigs...very carful.

Tommy

Do any of the old timers think that when they moved the channel, they lost a spring that could have been in the old channel? It sure seems that water levels have started going down since that was done. Other lakes around don't seem to be down as far as N+S center are.

Foulpole18

Yes, one guy whom I talk with a lot all winter thinks something to that effect in that area.

Figures all the construction past couple seasons has done something.

Is it so...only a geoligist type person could really tell...but you an him think alike.

Ya see sunrise is in good shape, river also...Forest Lake is fine.

Green a bit low...could be rain there.....but North an South Center, Chisago an Lindstrom are low as ever seen.

Structure used to hold spring pannies an bass is now above water line.

Weird eh.

Either a leak or nothing coming in like before is worth thinking about.

Sad thing is before ya know it people with MORE shoreline will have the Tax-Man in thier face pretty so.

Can't have all that extrey land free...TAXES, Taxes, taxes.

smile

N&S Center still aren't even close to as low as they were back in the 50s. They brought those lakes up so much back in the 90s it was amazing, tons of people lost most (not some) of their yard on the lake side. Its nice to finally have a beach back after so many years of the waves lapping on the yard. Fishing will change as far as location, but they're still in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 20 foot pontoon on a bunk trailer.Would i have problems launching it at the boat launch on north center.Also what is the lake like for cruising and fishing on.I keep my pontoon on lake all summer was bummed that i could'nt get launched last summer at the access.

If Chisago and South Center are any indication the lake is considerably lower than last year. North Center isn't much of a cruising lake too small and weedy - you would be better off on Forest Lake for that.

Really hard to say.. only one thing to do.. try.. they did do work on both North and South Center last fall.. not sure if they made it better though?

last fall after they did the work out there north was a little better but they actually made south worse but i was still able to launch my 18 foot with a bunk trailer but barely, i had to make sure both livewells were empty and i had to have less than half a tank of gas any shallower and it would have been impossible.