• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ottertail Lake Fishing Reports

Thanks Guy's it's always nice to here from some fellow fisherman with reports or helpful tips. Again thanks for your time!!!!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GRAND DAD

• MIke A

• HOT SPOT

• usmcjsy

Last weekend the water on OT was still under 50 degrees, and we found the bite to be subtle but if you could mark some you'd get a couple. We had a couple warm days this week so it should be warming up some. The fish should be in their usual spring locations now. Just use your 'lectronics to find 'em, or else try the "BOB" method (By Other Boats).

lol i love the "bob" method lol lol i hope the fish are biting on June 13 that's when i head up to OT

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions for a first timer on Ottertail this coming weekend? Not looking for specifics. Looking to target walleye primarily and maybe perch/crappie if the walleye bite isn't there. Just looking for suggestions on targeting shallower vs deeper and what's working (jigs, rigs, trolling cranks).

Thanks,

Tony

Take it for what it's worth, haven't fished OTL this season yet...

Jig/minnow (shiner preferred)

Shallow in dawn/dusk and work deeper during the day.

Fishing has been good when the weather is stabil, which has been a rare occurance thus far...

I'm not into trolling at this time of the year, but if you do maybe try in the dusk hours up shallow. Water temps are still a little cool on the larger lakes, upper 50's.

I mysilf have been doing great with jigs tipped with shiners. we have found walleyes from 6 to 30 feet, again depending on time of day.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will post a report when I'm back, hopefully a good one.

2 of my frinds where just up there the other day and they did good they said about 5 keepers a day or so but they dont know much about fishing lol so they must be biting or they got luckey lol any ways im going up there a week from today so we will have to wate and see i think this warm weather is really going to help

Tony,

I'll be up there this weekend for the first time as well. Looking at a map, there are a ton of options!! Maybe we should work together and try to figure out what's working! Two boats is better than one! My wife, kids, and I will be staying on the west side of the lake from Friday-Monday. I've got a dark colored (Forest Green) Warrior tiller with a black Suzuki motor. If you have a marine radio we could hook up that way too. Let me know if you are interested in working together. With that much water to cover, it might be worth it. Matt

Matt - I'll be in a black/red Lund Pro-V tiller with a 75 yamaha. No marine radio yet. I'll be up there with a group of 6, most of who aren't big fisherman, so they decided to rent a pontoon as well. We're staying on the NW side, and with the extra guys, I doubt we'll cruise far from that side of the lake. I agree with you though; soooo much structure on that lake, hard to figure out where to begin. Hit me on email and we can try and figure something out. ameyers41 at yahoo dot com.

hey guys NUMBER 1 thing on ottertail is depth. There are a ton of walleyes on this lake. Get the depth right and learn to bounce around. If you get one there are many more CLOSE. But do not get hung up on a spot that someone said they were biting or a spot that the day before you did good. The fish there will move in an hour.

Stay shallow for good sized and deep for a ton of 13 inchers

Tony,

I sent you an email. Matt

Matt - I'll be in a black/red Lund Pro-V tiller with a 75 yamaha. No marine radio yet. I'll be up there with a group of 6, most of who aren't big fisherman, so they decided to rent a pontoon as well. We're staying on the NW side, and with the extra guys, I doubt we'll cruise far from that side of the lake. I agree with you though; soooo much structure on that lake, hard to figure out where to begin. Hit me on email and we can try and figure something out. ameyers41 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks for the tips alwaysonthemove. Contrary to my original post, I noticed Ottertail doesn't hold crappies, at least according to the DNR's site. How's the perch fishing?

Matt - Will send you an email tonight.

there are a few crappies in OT, you'll just never catch one.

you can find some eater size perch. winter is usually a better time for the perch out there imo. it seems they're more concentrated then.

I agree with Amish...except for the upcoming time period. As the bullrushes poke out and the temp gets about 60 deg., you should be able to locate the pre-spawn/spawn crappies that do exist in the lake near those spots. There are some patches on the south side of western portion of the lake. If you have the time, it might be worth a try.

thanks for the info ill be heading up there on wnedsday ......centralmneyeguy and ameyers41 if you guys could give me a report when you come back that would be great and ill tell you about my spots on the lake if shoot me an email [email protected]

I'll post a report and send you an email 7outof10. Hopefully one that says "couldn't keep them off the line" as opposed to "couldn't find any fish."

I don't think finding them will be a problem! Getting them to cooperate once we find them however, is in the air at this point! Another cold snap and chance of rain just in time for the weekend!

I'll post a report and send you an email 7outof10. Hopefully one that says "couldn't keep them off the line" as opposed to "couldn't find any fish."

i got a cupple gps spots i could send you if you would like that where really good for me last year on OT

Anybody know what the water temps are at? I am coming up for the week starting Saturday the 13th. Hows the walleye bite been?

Things have gone backward. Last week South Turtle was 65-66 and Otter Tail was 61-63.

I was out on Turtle tonight and it was 59.5

It was a great night to be out on the water! One of the few times this year it hasn't been 15-20 mph winds.

It was a tough bite for the few fish we found on the graph. I think 4 days of East wind and super cold fronts has taken it's toll. Crazy how the lake has basically been right around 57 degrees for over 3 weeks. Also saw lots of lake flies on the water surface, so there's some kind of hatch going on.

Shoot. Sorry I missed your post. Would have loved some suggestions. We boated a few friday afternoon/evening. Most between 14 and 17 inches. Didn't get a limit, but enough for a fry. Saturday it was just brutal out. We were out for a while. Partner got a 26 incher right before the rain moved in, and we called it a day. Fun weekend, but it would have been nice if the weather was a bit better.

It was a great night to be out on the water! One of the few times this year it hasn't been 15-20 mph winds.

It was a tough bite for the few fish we found on the graph. I think 4 days of East wind and super cold fronts has taken it's toll. Crazy how the lake has basically been right around 57 degrees for over 3 weeks. Also saw lots of lake flies on the water surface, so there's some kind of hatch going on.

i hope the hatch is over by tmw lol im comeing up there in the morning staying tell sunday

Finally some nice weather. With all the cold weather it seems like it really screwed up the post spawn bite. My guess is the larger fish have already moved deeper but who knows with the cold. Is it time to switch to cranks and crawlers or is there still a shiner bite? Might be too cold for cranks but I'll still try e'm. Gonna have a variety of bait in the boat this weekend.

well i got up there on the 10th and fished for about 4 houres or so got 2 fish both about 16 or so but they where really really deep i was fishing in the late afternoon and the fish where stacked up in about 28-35 foot of water and really hart to get to bit i pulled spiners when a WARM on (that was the only thing they would hit ) nice and slow about .85 or so and i was fishing the first brakes off of shore ........ then for the next cupple days things stayed the same the fish where really had to get to bit in the day becouse of how deep they where...they where down there becouse the calm wind and the all the sun ....needed to get out of the light and the best way for them to do that is go down deep the last 2 days or so they started t come up we started to get there out of 23-28 friday on saterday they came up even more in the day 18-25 .....we where geting some each day about 5 or so ........here is my tip if you want to catch some of them start your day off at 7 pm fish tell 2am we did a lot better then fihing aroind 12-18 foot on saterday they rreally bit good at night tell a fly hatch cry that was sad .....over all kind of slow on this trip but fish where there to be had if you worked for them in the day time and night was right spot and right time and ...... cool but they where NOT hiting hard at all you needed to have an open bail and when they hit feet time line some of them we where wateing 20 sceonds or so and we would only get about 1/2 of them on if you did not feet them line (giveing them time to eat the warm ) you would only get aboit 1 out of ever 5 hits or so the big fish of the trip was my 20 1/4 coguht saterday night and i had a 18 1/2 that night to the biger ones can get had at night .....they are smarter

We caught this little guy by our dock yesterday. Thought it was a dog fish or sucker until it was out of the water. After a quick click with the cell phone, it went right back.

sturgeon.jpg