• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ottertail Lake Fishing Reports

I put it to the Left of the public acess on the first break. I want to move as soon as I can tho. Any helpful tips for it I dont fish WBL to much.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GRAND DAD

• MIke A

• HOT SPOT

• usmcjsy

were you on the Battle lake city side? There is a little group off to the left from that acess. I have never fished off the other acess on ther other side from town. I plowed a prety nice road out there this weekend I went thru like 3 tanks of gas trying to keep it open that was a lot of fun. except for the dumb a@# out there. I now can relate to what the plow operaters on red and LOW always [PoorWordUsage] about.

Yes i am a little further N then the first group, on the Battle lake side. Ya I saw a nice road going from the acess to in front of the shore line. Thats nice of you to be willing to plow like that I hope the PPl fishing over there are givein you some money for the gas to keep that road open. I wish there was someone like that on OT. But maybe I can find some bigger eyes on WBL

Well Email me if your looking for so tips Hotspot I don't know much but maybe I could share a little info that might help. BSCHUTZ AT LESSORSINC DOT COM

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks guys I have not been on here since the "incident" I ended up getting it hauled out via Ed and Marys junk hauling out of NYM. Well I guess you get what you pay for. Well I spent the rest of my time off shopping for a new fish house. I looked at a variety of different ones. I am no carpenter so I really could not build one probably any better than the one I bought that the axle broke on. So I looked at all the different big name fish houses and the features and ended up going with a Carsella Shack. Its a crank down, with a tube frame, 3500lb axle, 7x12, insulated floor, steel siding, thermopane windows, forced air heat, crank down hitch, knotty pine, marine carpet, 2 bunks, hole covers, all lighting etc for $4850. Which was the best deal IMO that I could find. They custom build to what you want so it should be ready in 2 weeks. It was more $ then what I cared to spend but after my experience this year I dont wanna deal with that problem again. If anyone is interested in them let me know and I can get you there # or Email. I will get some pics as soon as I pick it up.

• 3 months later...

Have any of you heard when the Riveria access is going to be fixed? Any idea if they will try and get to it before opener? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

I would think it will be fixed before Opener. That access is heavily used, so they'll be working on it this week for sure.

Very high water out there this year. Also very dirty water, I'm assuming the high water has flushed some debris into the lake.

Interesting article in the FF Daily journal today

Lake levels nearing records

By Trisha Marczak (Contact) | The Daily Journal

Published Monday, May 4, 2009

Area lake residents are experiencing record high water levels this season.

DNR Hydrologist Terry Lejcher said high water levels this season are due in part to an increase in precipitation over the years.

“It’s accumulating faster than it can evaporate,” Lejcher said.

Since 1990, the Otter Tail County area has had a total of 63 inches above normal precipitation, which amounts to nearly three years of additional precipitation.

A heavy season of snowfall over the winter is also a factor, Lejcher said. This season, the area saw some 80 inches of snow, exceeding the 45 inch average.

Lejcher said rain that fell in the fall is also a factor, considering there’s no chance for it to evaporate. Between the months of September through November, the area had twice the amount of rainfall normally experienced.

Kirby Anderson, president of the Long Lake Association, said residents near the lakeshore are dealing with flooding situations in basements and crawl spaces — something he said isn’t typical for the lake.

Robert Deutschman, a lakeshore property owner on Dead Lake, said that while the lake’s water levels are the highest he’s seen in the roughly 11 years since he’s been there, he’s not experiencing issues when it comes to flooding.

“It’s as high as I have ever seen it for this time of year,” he said.

Deutschman said that water levels are generally high to start with, as Dead Lake has a large watershed, but usually calm down as the season progresses.

As for Long Lake, water is also eroding shorelines and has crept into area lawns on Long Lake.

Anderson and the Lake Association have been dealing with the DNR, and is expecting water levels to slowly head back down to reasonable levels during the summer months. But that’s something Lejcher says depends on the weather to come.

According to the DNR, this is the highest water level Long Lake has ever experienced. The record was previously set in 1997, but this year’s levels exceed those numbers by 1.5 inches.

Lejcher said lakes in the western third of Otter Tail County are experiencing the highest water levels. Levels on Otter Tail Lake indicate the lake is three-tenths short of a foot within the highest record set.

Water has been reported to have gone over the top of dams on Big Pine Lake and Rush Lake.

Otter tail was almost a foot higher this weekend then it was the weekend prior. Never have seen the lake this high.

Water down stream in FF is definitely maintaining levels even with flood gates wide open to over 2 weeks.

Hey all. Gettin' ready to head up this weekend.

Anyone know what the water temp is on OT lately?

Thanks - Jon

caught the biggest walleye of my life- just under 28 inches- put it back- weather was not great but will never forget that fish.

We didnt do that good...only 11 walleye and a few crappies. Hey where did you catch that 28 incher? I saw a guy next to me get a 28 on ottertail opening night and was wondering if maybe it was the same guy that would be kinda ironic.

How, Was the lake bite on ot for you guys, I wasnt able to get out. Did some fishing from shore in the Fergus Area and got 3 18-19 in eyes and 5 crappies that were slabs Think I might be getting a coupple of the mounted.

We only managed two 19" eyes on OT from 9 am to 3 pm Saturday which was actually good compared to everyone else we talked to. Saw a nice 25+" caught Saturday afternoon near us.

A buddy got a 27" and a 16" on another area lake but that was it for the 7 guys I was with.

Could anyone give any info. on whether the shiners are running or not on OT? I couldn't make it out fishing last weekend but I will be going this coming weekend so I am wondering if it would be worth trying to net a few.

Thanks in advance.

They did for a short time when it was sunny for a few days in a row, but haven't since. The water is still very cold and hasn't warmed up at all in the past 3-4 days...feel free to try but I wouldn't bet on it!

Headed up to Ottertail this weekend, hopefully the fishing will be good. What is the water temp?

I found surface temps ranging from 49-51 degrees on the lake. By the rivers I think it was closer to 53. That was on Sat.

28 inch walleye was not caught on Ottertail. Perham area lake. good luck to everyone this weekend.

My bro is heading up this weekend. It was a fun opener to say the least... speared 40 suckers, caught a 17" tulibee for the smoker, 4 16"-23" walleyes, and some cold fingers!

My wife and I are heading up this weekend to do some fishing. How is the walleye bite right now on Ottertail, Big and Little pine,or silver. Any report would be greatly appreciated!!

Ottertail pretty much always has a decent bite going on. Just check in up at the local baits stores and they can fill you in. good luck

I haven't been out since opener, so I really can't give you any thing current.

dan

Hey jighead,

I have not been fishing any of those lakes, but I've been in the area. The walleyes I'm finding are really spread out. I've caught them in 4 ft to 25 ft of water, and it isn't fast and furious. Good size to the fish, but not finding schools yet.

The shallow fish came on a rattle trap casting against the windy shore. The deeper ones were lindy rigs and spinners with shiners. Have not had much luck with leeches yet.

It's not the lakes you asked about, but hope this helps. Good luck out there.