• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ottertail Lake Fishing Reports

Ya please keep me posted Hot Spot, I will be out there this weekend regardless as I have family that lives on OT. However its nice to know if I should plan on putting the perm out or plan on the ol portable. Thanks to all for the latest reports I will keep checking this off and on to see if anything changes.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GRAND DAD

• MIke A

• HOT SPOT

• usmcjsy

I sent Gary at Kens Tackle a Email concerning the Amor area of the lake and here is what he said about the conditions.

"Good to hear from you.

As far as Amor - the access is open. There is a crack now by Amor - but it's assessable.

As of right now - 4 wheeler traffic is the way with some drifts - but soft.

There are perminate houses out and more going this weekend.

Ice is between 6-14 inches. so it's looking good.

Stop on in!"

Gary, Ken's Tackle

That is some what true. I did sneek out from amor last night and it was tuf going to get to the spot i wanted to try. I think I got stuck 2 or three times with the 4 wheeler. I no that I wount be getting my big house down the amor park. but hopefully someone will plow a road soon but nothing that I saw yesterday that would alow me to get to the spot i want my house. I think I will be waiting till full size trucks are out there frown

Sounds good Hot Spot, I appreaciate all the intel I can get. I may try to take the house out on Friday as it sounds as if more snow is on the way. I almost feel like if I dont get it out this weekend and we get more snow I will really be screwed.

well i got out early yesterday so I headed to Amor. I think it will be very very hard to get fish houses out, and when they do get out their will be a lot of flooding. we were able to get to the spot I wanted by 4 wheeler but if you were pulling anything you woudnt make it to far. I dont have a plow but the snows getting at the stage of hard and soft. I think I might wait to bring my house to ot till you can drive frown

The fish where very finicky for us, we did get a few but we also didnt start fishing till 530. Had to many problems. lanterns woulnt light and bait fell out of bucket. Turned out to be one of those nights that nuthing goes right.

Well here is my plan, I have not physically seen the lake yet. I am heading down there Fri afternoon. My plan is to pull the house out with the wheeler. Then I plan to hook another 4 wheeler up to mine and have 2 wheelers pull it through. I am hoping this will work. If not it will be quite a show for those watching. Then if I do make it to my spot I am going to drill a couple holes and see if floods before seting up shop. The main thing is I want to get it out there before the rest of the snow comes. If it floods I am just gonna leave the house out there and set it down at a more oppertune time. Keep up the reports its nice to kind of get an idea of the mess I am in for.

Thanks

Jeremy

I'm in the same boat you are usmcjsy. Planning on taking out the house on Sat. Plan on doing the same thing, using a 4 wheeler and a snowmobile. So it looks like there is going to be shows all weekend.

I drilled 3 holes in different areas last night and there was anywhere from 8-12 in.

I am think of doing the same with 2 or three wheelers with chains. but the drifts out there are up to 4 or 5 ft for about 10 yards, it will be tuff getting them out there. It would be tuf for a full size truck. IF theirs a will theres a way.

I would be willing to bet its going to flood, Last night siting in my portable there was about 3 in of water all the way to the sled, and yes i did shovel the snow away, i am going to go there tonight and shovel a big area and hope that no one goes right on it.

Good luck and maybe see ya out their, If any of out need help Im more than willing, I got a Green Polaris Sportsman 500

If you had thick enough ice I would come plow for ya, the Truck is pretty striped down as for WT its a real mutt of a truck is been chopped very short wheel base but need 12 inches.

GRAND DAD-

Thats a great offer I really apprciate it but I dont think I would want you driving out their yet, I would be drilling about 100 holes with a tape cheackin ice in from of you. If it comes down to it ill put her on wbl

I take it you Fish WBL?

Ya all be plowing there first I have one house out there on Battle. I have to grab that one and get it out on OT then pull my big house over to Battle so I have a lot of work to do. Battle every were I went last weekend was 11 to 13 so I would think we would have at least gained an inch out there this week. I just have to watch flooding when I get the big house out I have a lot of blocks to block it up but we will see how it goes. On OT your fishing out of Armor Right? I here the ice is a lot better over at the Pelican access.So I hope I can plow to the first break and put one of my houses there.PS the only place I have checked ice thinkness on WBL is out in front of shoreline cafe out to the second group of houses.

Well if everyone wanted to get a small group together and use several wheelers etc to pull houses out I would be available Fri afternoon and anytime on Saturday. I have 2 Scrambler 500 4x4s. They do not have low range but they are all wheel drive. I really prefer to go out from Amor as the in laws live right by Amor park. So anyone looking to go out from Amor wants to get together and beat this dang snow let me know. This is the 1st year I have had permenant and I will be damned if it sits in the yard all year smile. Anyway if anyone wants to get a small group together let me know.

Later

Jeremy

Well if the wind isn't blowing to hard I plan on putting mine out Sat. morning out of Amor as well. I have my brother and possably a friend each bringing a 4 wheeler plus my snowmobile. So if we see each other out there we'll see what we can do. We'll have a John Deere 4 wheeler and a Polaris sled trying to pull a yellow wheel house.

I think That I might give it a Shot tonight, depeneds of I can get my other two buddys to help, sounds like snow for the rest of the weekend so now teh time to give it a shot. Ill no by 1 if im going to do it tonight are tomarow morn.

USMCJSY- Where are you From and who are you in laws?

I am originally from FF and now work in Fargo and live in Glyndon. My in laws are Chuck and Suzy Johnson they live approx 1/4 mile down from Amor park, just a few houses away from Red Lantern Resort. Anyway if I see anyone needing a hand I will stop and see what I can do. Do you think a snow blower could clear out in front of the access....? I dont have a plow so its just an idea. If its only a high drift for like 10 yrds I thought maybe its not un reasonable to think about using the blower to clear a path. I will be out there with a beige color wheel house today or tomorrow. I still am trying to find a driver for my 2nd wheeler. Everyone I know works Fridays so I may have to wait till tomorrow. I will probably be out there scouting around today though.

I dont think It would be worth bringing the snow blower, teh acess is decent, its when you get out on the lake a few 1/4 mi on the lake when you get the bigger drifts. I Might come out their around 6 tonight so if I get my buddys to help im sure we could give you a hand to. Whre are you going to put the house?

Shoot our in-laws must be neighbors they live a couple houses away from Red Lantern as well. They are John and Jan Thiele.

If I see you out there I'll try to give you a hand.

Anybody have a 4 wheeler with a plow? I used my uncles Polaris last year to put out his house on lake 7. It was fun blazing the trail from the access to his spot.

Was out there last night, and we had to dodge around the biggest drifts to keep from getting stuck with just the wheeler (with chains) and a portable. I can't imagine trying to pull a perm. house with these drifts, not to mention after another pile of snow we're sposed to get on top. It's going to be another messed up year! :-(

Ya I think the Thiele's place is right by there. I think I remember seeing that name in front of their drive. Anyway ya I will do what ever to help. Maybe I will throw the blower in the back of the house in case I have to blow out a path through some of the drifts. I usually go out a straight from red lantern resort. There is usually a few houses out in that area. I also have a set of tires with carbide studs on them for one of the wheelers if need be. Anyway I will come prepared as possible. I am sure I will see ya guys out there. I am sure it will be frustrating getting out but maybe around Xmas we will be able to sit back and laugh about it. I have like 2 weeks off over Xmas and I dont plan fishing out of a portable that whole time. Ya know its funny there is not a businees that charges to put houses out on the lake. Ya know like the people who come and put the docks in and out. I would imagine if you have the right equipment there would be money to be had especially when the year is like this one and last one.

One other quick note, I know at Kens Tackle last yr he had a dontation jar set up to pay for plowing on the lake. I did not put in last yr as I did not need to as I just had the portable. However this year if he has that going on again I am definatley trhowing in a good chunk of change.

Roger that in the tip jar, it's worth every dollar. Not only do they plow roads the also break the ice and push the sand down at the access.

We'll probably see you out there tomorrow.

Chris

Well my fish house became a casualty of the war on Friday night. The wheel broke off the axle and I was un able to repair it. So I tore it down and hauled it to my mother in laws house. Now if anybody knows of someone that would come and pick up the demolished house from my mother in laws and properly dispose of it I would appreaciate it. I usually see ads in the mid week and so on for this type of thing but I just checked it out and found nothing. So anyone know of a business or anything that comes and hauls junk away in the Ottertail area I would appreaciate it. Otherwise I would offer $200 to anyone on here whom wants to come and clean it up. You will need a good sized trailer. My mother in law wants it out of there ASAP!.

Thanks

Jeremy

So there are no roads plowed out of the Pelican Bay access? I will be up there on the 26th for a couple days with my brother-in-law. By the sounds of it we may have to bring the snowmobile, but if there is a road to the first break my brother may pull up the permanent.

Jermey- sorry about the house that sucks. I might be able get my trailer out and clean all the stuff up for you on tues. what all in the pile?

was anybody able to get their house yout from amor?

I came out there and pulled mine off and headed to wlb

Hey USMCJSY I know a guy up there with a big trailer and is not working this week and am sure hey would be up to making a buck what city is the house in and how could I get him in touch with you ?