• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smelting report for Lake Superior and Tribs

What is the weather looking like for tonight? I am thinking of driving up from St. Paul to give it a shot.

Chaff its windy now, WNW winds at 6 mph but gusting to 16. It still may be doable but will be crowded. I have a spot I can seign all alone though if need be. Call me on my cel and you can seign with us. If its too windy we can always go dip the Lester.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• MOBY RICHARD*

• protrapper

• opsirc

I was just down on park point and as of now it is pretty calm. The wind is gusty but it's blowing just right, so as long as it doesn't change directions, it should be pretty good tonight.

Yup I just got back myself and it looks good to go. wink

Yup I just got back myself and it looks good to go. wink

I dont have any equipment at all (not even waders) and I have been up at work since 4:00 a.m. but I could come help you if nobody else is. Let me know.

be heading down around 1900, hopefully the smelt will be plenty and suicidal. grin

I seem to remember seeeing a reg in the 2009 Mn fishing rules about cast nets being illegal in mn,too bad as they really work.

BD or NL,

If either of you is able/willing, I'll gladly buy a ice cream bucket of uncleaned smelt from ya (the wave info kept me home last night). I am stuck with kid duty this whole weekend, and Jr being only 6, bedtime is too early to hit the point. I am gonna be in town tomorrow AM so if you see this let me know.fourtwoeightsixtysixtyfive.

I just want to freeze some for trolling, and a meal or 2 for the family.s

I've never seen so many people down there tonight, it was a crazy zoo. People were burning fires, everyone had beers in their hands, and people were pulling 60ft nets...I don't really mind, but it seems that no one down there has a clue about the laws or doesn't care.

Also, everyone I talked to said they were trying to get enough smelt to use for bait on inland waters like Rainy, Basswood, etc. Apparently no one has a clue about the regulations on using smelt for bait either.

As for the report, we pulled for 2-3 hours and managed 1/3 of a bucket - all I need. Other people were doing pretty well by the looks of it.

We did a little better...about 5-6 gallons...but we worked hard, 4 guys, two seines, going nearly steady...

Averaged around 1- 2 dozen a pull...a couple around 3 1/2 dozen...and a couple 3 skunks...

After the wind came up and it started to cool down, it really dropped off and we called it quits around 11:15 PM...

Most unexpected was, that we decided to try it while it was still pretty light and got some of our better pulls right away, though our best was around 10PM...

Then I went to the Lester...got there about 11:50 PM...it was still packed, but a few started to leave just as I got down to the water...I have that effect..

The water in the Lester felt way warmer than the Lake on Park point, so I was hopeful that it was a little ahead of the game...

Anyway, no one seemed to be getting much, but I started dipping and got one here and there right off, then had to keep moving around to get another one here and there...then I got two a couple times and thought I was onto something...and then nothing...then 1 here and there...and then none...

I packed it up about 1:45 AM...only one guy seemed to be getting onesies fairly regularly, but it was too deep a spot for me...he had extensions and kept switching out the length of the net pole for different areas, though he stood on his one spot...

Saw some really weird configuration dip nets out there...they didn't seem to help...

The water temps will continue to creep up and hopefully bring on a heavier run...

Fished the point between piers and tot lot from 10 til the wind came up. Caught about 1/3 bucket but some others did better.

three of us stayed until about 11:30 or so, only managed about 1-2 gallons. enough for a good fry and a few for bait. most pulls we got a dozen or so, and some not so many.

Use guys dipping are you leaving 5 gallon buckets on shore and walking back and putting your smelt in them?? I had a bucket stolen once doing that.. I need to figure a way to shoulder strap a 3 or 4 gallon bucket up... I'll be down Sunday on PP and then to dip Lester. I only want 4-5 gallons.. I hate cleaning them.. Just eating.. hahaha

I was thinking about comng up this evening, but not sure where to go. I have a dip net and a seine(cheap frabill) not sure how to work the seine, last I was smelting was over twenty years ago. Would be willing to help pull if someone needs a crew. Hope the weather cooperates.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have a pair of vented waders for sale. Vented on both feet to ensure a balanced water intake on both sides. You can expect to drain the waders after ever pull, if not, on the second pull the water pressure will have the level up to your crotch area. These waders are perfect of smelting in 80 degree water. The 5mm will protect your legs from the huge schools of smelt.

JR, Ripstick, Northlander, Grant, and I started at 8:30PM and ended around 1:AM. A few smelt every pull then as the night went on we got into 1 quart-half gallon pulls. That would be a half gallon smelt and a half gallon in the waders. We left when the nets were at their highest yield. Total take was one 7lb Lake Trout(released)8 gallons smelt and 8 gallons of water. Since you can't transport water I dumped it all on the beach.

Xplorer - I'm in your neck of the woods and have about a half an ice cream bucket of uncleaned smelt that I 'm looking to give away or freeze as I have all I need.

We were at the airport last night from 9:00 until 11:00 and had about the same success as everyone else. 6 guys, 3 smaller seines, and about 3-4 gallons overall.

Great night to be out until that wind switch...

If I was a betting man I would say tonight will be the big wave and then they will be dwindling off. The females were just starting to drop eggs in the net. Usually when you can see eggs in your nets or buckets pretty good you have a night or 2 left. Im saying tonight and monday will be good.

Myself, Frank, Gary and Grant managed about 8 or 9 gallons. Hard work is right. They came in waves. Just as we thought it was done we would get a pull of a half a gallon and a couple close to a gallon.

If you think last night was a zoo tonight should be even worse. All the people traveling distances will be here in full force tonight.

Looked like the Airport was the place to be last night. Talked to 2 crews who had a couple buckets full. The tot lot and bridge areas seemed slow last night. We all know that dont mean much tonight though.

sor,

I just saw this...I'd sure be appreciative, I can drive over anytime from now on. You can reach me at four two eight- six zero six five. Hope we can work it out. Thanks!

Well I just finally got through bagging up about 7 gallons of smelt into 1 dozen count bags. I went through roughly 100 bags so I figure in the 1200 smelt range. Lots of work and cold hands but worth it.

Just finished myself...kept them in ice water at home...only had to clean 165 though, the rest went to the other guys...

Kept some fresh and put the rest into the pickling brine....gonna be tasty... smile

NL and MOBY did you have to tell us how many you brought home? Now i am haveing smelt fry withdrawls, all I have in the freezer is Mrs. Mortons frozen fish sticks. Congradulations on a succesfull smelt run.

Well, I'm gonna' make it even worse for you...

I am obviously not out there tonight, so I had to fry up a dozen...which by the way is the Official Smelt Portion...

Well wouldn't you know it, the batter and oil were just right...I gobbled those down and they were so extra good, and I had enough of the perfect batter left and the oil still on sooo...I deep-fried another dozen...and down they went...

Mm-m-mm-mm-mmm...Pure Heaven!!! whistle

I will also be downing a few dozen for lunch in some tasty beer batter later today.

As far as smelting goes you can stick a fork in it if tonight is any indicator as whats going on. Between 3 guys pulling from 9 to midnight we only got about a gallon, maybe a tad more.

My young crew pulled in a couple gallons on the point between 9:00 and 11:30. Looks like the beginning of the end.

I was out with the masses at Lester last night. I was only out there from about 9:30-11 and only got a couple dozen smelt. It didn't look like anybody else was doing any better. Overall it was pretty slow.

Was out on the point from around 11-2 and got about 2-3 gallons toal for the group, using one seine.

Was up Friday night at the Tot lot from 9-1 and then moved down by the airport from 1 to 3. Their was 3 of us with one net and we only managed somewhere between 3 to 4 gallons total. Sure was a beautiful night to be out though.

Norhtlander stopped by when we were down by the airport to give us moral support and to tell us some of his secert smelting methods. smile Thanks for stopping by Steve.

Chaff

Chaffmj

were you straight out from tot lot? iwas there about the sametime, the three of us managed about a gallon. Gave us enough for a couple of diner and some bait.

Northlander, what are you going to do with 1200 smelt?

Northlander, what are you going to do with 1200 smelt?