• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smelting report for Lake Superior and Tribs

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• MOBY RICHARD*

• protrapper

• opsirc

I'm ready for round two myself just need to get through the bottom of this bucket maybe a quick smelt fry when the wife gets home and it will be time to do it all over again.

To much fun !!!

Northlander,

Do you have the 4'x25', 6'x25' or the 8'x25' in 1/8 #35?

I think most guys have get the 3/8" mesh for Smelt, which pulls even easier...but they may not know it...unless they want the 1/4 for minnow seining elswhere...

Thinking about making a run up from the cities tonight. Winds are forecasted ENE 10-15 - will the point be doable with a seine? Thanks for all the up to date and accurate reports. It really helps us that travel a fair distance to time our trip.

BJP

Waves forecasted to pick up tonight maybe up to 2 feet by 10PM...possibly ok to 8 or 9PM but that may be too early for the Smelt...bring a dip net for the Rivers just in case...

Also things switched around from last night, so the the waves will be coming from the East...

yeah I think you're right Moby - I was mistaken, the frabill's are 1/4". The 3/8" pulls better - 1/2" is too big because then the smaller ones start getting stuck in the mesh.

I called Christiansens and they told me they have the 4x25 3/8's with the pocket for 185.00. Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I can make it up in the next few nights or so.

Chaff

I think I will try to sneak out of work early and rush to the Lester and try and if nothing there I will make some calls and see if the point is doable. If not oh well I got tobe up at 6am tomorrow.

Looks like the next 2nights will be iffy if that wind dont change. I dont mind smelting in a light rain but not a down poor.

Going to WI point tomorrow night anyone else going to be out there. Or would Park point be a better bet.

Park Point not smeltable and the Lester isnt doing anything yet tonight either.

Wednesday night looks like 2 foot waves, still from the East and NordEast...Thursday is supposed to switch around again and no more than 1 foot from the West...so at this point Thursday looks a lot better...

Another update from WI...though the Ashland side of Chequamegon Bay is thought to be toast, they are still expecting more on the Washburn side...

Also in Mn, Adults need a valid Mn Fishing Liscense...In Wi, Residents don't, but Non do...

Good chance of rain Wednesday night too...

Against my better judgement we decided to head north last night to try our luck. As others have said, the Point was not fishable last night. We did try the west side for 3 pulls but only managed a few dozen minnows and 1 sucker. At least we helped out the few fisherman that were at the parking lot wondering if they should get their nets out, head to a river to dip net, or just head home and wait for better weather. Once they saw our results, that lot emptied quickly.

After that effort, we went to the Lester and joined the people working for a few smelt. We quit around 11pm with enough for a few meals. It looked like everyone was getting a few but not often and not many.

Hopefully this wind turns around and the water warms up. Not sure if I will be making another trip up this year or not. Good luck to all of you who head out over the next week.

It should get better but its not worth my time until it does. From what I have seen it 1 smelt for 10-20 dips but its always time dependent too. Meaning they run is cycles/waves.

I would say by that time things should be in full swing, at park Point and the rivers.. My cousin said the pulls cosisted of small males the other night..

Whats the name of that small creek that sees some decent action in downtown Duluth??? That could be another spot.

Today is the first day of '09 that NOAA is showing Superior as completely ice free...

Rain off and on tonight...waves 1-3 feet, maybe lessening to 1 foot after 10PM...maybe not...

Water temps holding or even dropping...not what we're looking for...but ya' just never know...

Thursday looking better...winds switching around...dryer in the evening...a bit warmer...

EDIT:Today, Thursday, NOAA is now showing a little ice left on Superior, up in Canada and floating around...their ice free Map from yesterday was a little suspect...

We had a couple of guys call in sick last night. Smelt flu?

No doubt... laugh

When they return check them...you will catch them Silver-handed...however if they Oink...run away...

Was up there from Sunday night until Tuesday night. Didn't hammer them but ran into alot of great people along the way. You Duluth guys are a great bunch of guys. Thanks to BD110 for all your help and advise.

We didn't quite have the right set up for park point but we'll be back next year with the right style nets. We ended last night at the Lester bumping elbows with all the other guys and gals out there. It was a great time. We ended up with about 2 gallons last night.

We drove up last night from Cleveland (MN). Try the Christenson net by the tot Lot but way to much wave action. Went to the Lester too many people went up to the Stewart nothing there. Got a room in town thought about checking Commercial fishermen in am. They didn't even have any to sale. Went home. End of story.

You can buy them in the grocery stores. There are always guys that have more than what they know what to do with too - just ask around here.

Ya most of us are more than glad to sell a few smelt if you need some. If we ever get out again Ill have some.

My cousin who has a commercial license sells the extra smelt to bait stores. He's gotten around 215 gallons so far this year. When they run that 50 footer does dome damage!

My cousin who has a commercial license sells the extra smelt to bait stores. He's gotten around 215 gallons so far this year. When they run that 50 footer does dome damage!

And WHERE does it do that damage right about now?

if its like one smelt every 10 to 15 dip than its no different than when i was there on friday and saturday. you guys who are smelting tonight, post how many dip on average you make in order to get a smelt too. it would be really helpful. thanks again to all the reports. and also, do you guys think thursday night will be good or not.

Once again the point wasnt seignable. I didnt even bother with the Lester. Now watch they will pound them there tonight. wink

Tomorrow looks like the night for me. Ill more than likely be at the tot lot about 8pm or so. Lets hope the winds are in our favor like they say.

Originally Posted By: dougger222

And WHERE does it do that damage right about now?

Ya lets have a report on where this 50' seign runs. I doubt its around these parts.Only one I know who can legaly run a 50' seign around here is Johny Chalstrom and I havent seen him out yet this year.

Anyone know how the Severson boys are doing in their nets?

NL, I think you are meaning Sivertson's, out of Superior WI...

They are going by...Lake Superior Fish Company...online...

The waves did drop in the Bay later...except right at the tip... laugh

The winds are dropping now and should start to switch around from the Nordeast to the West overnight...still looking good for tonight...Thursday...