• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smelting report for Lake Superior and Tribs

Yeah I remember it. I was young and always wondered the point of it and still do??? Just like the guys who di the same with the perch on Winni.. You mean the slob mentality??

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• MOBY RICHARD*

• protrapper

• opsirc

Went out to Park Point last night. We got there early, 5PM. Noticed althrough the park and the airport area the signs that read "No parking after 10PM violators will be taged and towed" or words something like that. So being the first time there, and not finding any other place to park, we went home.

Where else can a person park?? Had my brand new Christensen net that I wanted to try out. I will have to do some better planning next year.

The signs do say that, but the police usually know when the smelt are running and I've never heard of anything ever happening for being parked too late during the run. It's more something to worry about the rest of the year.

Dude a twenty dollar parking ticket is worth it if you hit a smelting jackpot.

What do you meen by the south shore

Usually the Wisconsin shore is considered the South Shore, and you may have noticed I Got One lists his location as Superior WI...

Well if 90 gallons by hand seine or dip is accurate, it could mean they have been holding back because the water temps just are not staying up there and there may still be a good run in store...if it happens big in MN it will probably be soon and over fast...

I heard some good (not great) reports from the point last night. I'll be out there myself tonight

Peter, any recent updates...I heard something from a little Smelty...

It was windy last night again so I didnt go but from those I talked to that did go they didnt do much.

The point of that was that i was able to have a huge smelt fry, give away dozens of gallons to friends in central Minnesota and much of the remainder was either sold to mink farmers and still had plenty to fertilize a large garden well. It was small income during the spring of the year.

I suppose you are thinking we were game hogs. In those days people thought that the downfall of the lake trout was because of the huge numbers preying on the eggs and fry of the trout so they were encouraged to take as many as possible. I personally don't believe that harvest could have possible put a dent in the population. The shear numbers of these things was absolutely unbelievable.

The shear numbers of these things was absolutely unbelievable.

The numbers were incredible. I didn't arrive in Minnestoa until 1981 and even though the heydays were starting wane there were still good runs at the Lester. One night the smelt were running so strong that the I would fill up my dip net with each pull and could hardly lift it out of the water. You could feel that smelt just bouncing off your boots. I always limited my take to 5 gallons, but there were lots of people lined up on the bank with buckets who weren't even smelting and the dippers would just fill them up. It was a great party atmosphere. How many of you had a smelt meal in the boyscout tents located at the Lester and on Park Point????

I ate at smelt fries from Lester, Park point and every mom and pop joint around. I still cant eat more than 6 dozen at a time now. wink

Four guys four gallons four hours last night on the point. They ran in spurts and just like all the reports this Spring some did better than others. The group next to us did better than we did. Other groups didn't fare so well.

Thanks for the reports...

The water temps of the lake are now staying in the 40s overnight, so whatever Smelt that haven't spawned yet should be attempting to in the next few days...

Please keep the reports coming as long as anyone is out...

And yes, I also ate plenty of Smelt in the tents...way back then...it was a lively time...

Wisc. point three guys, one seine ( sorry not a Christiansen)2-1\2 hrs = 6 gals.

Nice night last night with the full moon.

Jar Jar

Jar ya would have had 12 gallons with a Christiansen. wink

My smelting is over for the season and I have walleyes on my mind.

Jar ya would have had 12 gallons with a Christiansen. wink

Yeah... but my back feels good this morning wink

It was kinda a crazy night out there last night with a drunk stealing his buddies car and flippin it into Allouez Bay crazy

I've had enough for the year now.

Jar Jar

We tie a backstrap to our poles and you can pull all night long with them. Guy must have needed more beverages eh? crazy

Well then, there's still some there for those that want to chase the better eating fish, Smelt that is...

Tonight waves should be building and probably be too high after 10PM...they should keep building 'til about 10AM, 2-3 footers...then start tapering back into the afternoon...

Possible rain off and on later tonight and tomorro...bring your slicker...but not from the city...

This is probably my last Smelt Report for the year...

Went to the Point Saturday night...the waves were supposed to be down, but were crashing wildly near shore, making it near impossible to get a good pull...

There were several groups out and everyone was only getting 1 or 2 a pull...probably due to the waves lifting and turning out the seines in the last few yards...

Few dipping in the Lester...didn't get any and didn't see any gotten...

That's about it until next April...will have to console myself with pickled Smelt... cool

Thanks for all the reports...see you next year...

Thanks Moby for keeping us informed this season. Your information has been very useful.