• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smelting report for Lake Superior and Tribs

Quote:
Chaffmj

were you straight out from tot lot? iwas there about the sametime, the three of us managed about a gallon. Gave us enough for a couple of diner and some bait.

opsirc,

We were about 50 yds to the left as you walk out from the tot lot entrance. Where were you at?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• MOBY RICHARD*

• protrapper

• opsirc

last night we young bucks pulled in about 10 gallons. gonna hit it up again tonight down in park point. i hope this week of smelting doesn't affect my performance next week during finals. haha.

i truly believe that this year their will not be a final big run. i talked with the conservation officer, he said with the wacky weather the run is spread out in a few days, and with that said there is no big final run. it will just slowly die down. and from the looks of it, its near the end.

Went out friday night from 10p-2a. stayed away from the crowds and ended with roughly 20+ gallons. We hoofed it all the way past the end on the line so to speak in front of the airport and it seemed to pay off. Had multiple pulls of 300+ per. Best between 11-1 and then died quickly. 7 hours to clean them bad boys.

I tagged along with some friends tonight and they actually didn't do too bad. Once we found them it was anywhere from 30-60 per pull.

same here. it was like last night, dead until 11 or so. once they started coming in, it was 50 - 60 a pull. I would say all and all, tonight was better for us than last night.

Bummer...we must have quit too early or been in the wrong spot...

About 1-1/2 gallons from 8:45-11:15, four and a half guys, 1 1/2 seines...some had about the same...some had none...

Went to the Lester...after the Lift Bridge let me through...got there about 12:30 AM...lots of Dips and Dippers, but no Big Dipper... wink

Last time I'll believe a report about a one-armed man getting 50 in an hour... laugh...well maybe not the last...when you're desperate you're desperate...just don't let the Smelt smell the desperation...

Nothin' for about 1/2 hour...then started checking around spots 'til most left...when only the foolhardy remained...Whoops, I mean the intelligent... I started to get a few...onesies, twosies, and a couple sixshooters...

Way too hard though...I don't know how many hundred dips to get a few dozen...quit around 2:30 AM...I think they had enough of me as I had of them...

Should still dwindle and peak for those in the right and wrong places at the appropriate times...

Doesn't look like it will last for much to next weekend...but as you know...ya' just never quite know......

And yes Guys, the Moby still lives...barely...

hello

went out by grand rapids last nite and got nothing. still fun though. if any you folks had a gallon or two extra you might want to sell or trade i'd be interested.

problem is i live in effie bigfork area, so chances are no one is coming by this way but it never hurts to ask.

thanks for all the good up to date posts.

maybe i'll get my act together one of these years and join in the mayhem. thanks

Has anyone tried the Wisconsin Point? If so how has that been?

Heading up there tonight.

Thanks

The same as Park Point basically. I thinks its over but tonight will tel. Im not even pulling tonight thats how sure I am that its done.

Oh wait, did it ever start? grin

Done??? huh???

Say Protrapper, what area where you at, what times were best, and approximate total haul...??? Thank you. Moby

We stayed out till about 2am, we got 4 gallons in 2 hrs or so. We hit a few different spots, as far as where we where I wont say out of respect for my partners..

Now I have heard from a couple of sources that are very old and wise that they have smelted on memorial weekend and even a couple of times into June, especially when the weather has been cold such as it has been. The smelt will pull back regroup so to speak and come back in a week or so after the initial run is over. They also mentioned that last year was one of those years where they smelted the end of may and they got smelt. I was wondering if anyone else has ever encountered this or if they have ever heard of this.

Yup 2 years ago we smelted the night of opener and did pretty good.

Quote:
Chaffmj

were you straight out from tot lot? iwas there about the sametime, the three of us managed about a gallon. Gave us enough for a couple of diner and some bait.

opsirc,

We were about 50 yds to the left as you walk out from the tot lot entrance. Where were you at?

I was about the same distance to the right. already thinking about next year. might have to find a new partner, mind can only make it friday or sat nights, kind of limits smelting time. grin

Opsirc,

I can't complain about my partners. I could only make it one night this year and it just happened to be last Friday. I'm looking forward to next year and getting out more than one night.

Well it's been a little cool overnights and the Lake Waters in the shallows have cooled just a bit too...though they are supposed to start staying in the 40s now...

I still think there is some possible Oomph to the run yet, as I had very few eggs in the cooler from Sunday night, and still a much higher percentage of Males VS Females caught...

I think it's going to drag out for a few days, with a few getting on hot spots at times and the rest not...I don't know that it will be worth much by the weekend...but we'll keep an eye in and see...

The MN DNR has reported a little better catch by the Commercials as of May 1...new update should be out today...

If you get out please report the good, the bad, and the horrendous...general areas such as the Tot Area, The Airport, and the Lower or Middle Rivers etc., would be appreciated and maybe help to formulate some sort of pattern that we can all benefit from in the future...

The Smelt haven't run away from Lake it's just trying to guess their behavior, with this bob and weave weather...

It's getting to be more like Crappie or Walleye fishing...trying to find them...then it's game on... smile

Last night was more of the same. Most found it slow while only a couple groups reported success worth talking about. A couple gallons was the most I saw.

Wind switched off the lake late last night wich cooled down the temps but hopefully will bring in warm surface temps and smelt with them. Myself I think whatever smelt you get now will be hard work. Heck its all been hard work this year.

Last night was the best run of smelt I have had this year. I have smelted every night for the last week sans tues and weds of last week. We got close to 90 gallons of smelt in about 2 hours on the south shore.

Went out to Park Point last night. We got there early, 5PM. Noticed althrough the park and the airport area the signs that read "No parking after 10PM violators will be taged and towed" or words something like that. So being the first time there, and not finding any other place to park, we went home.

Where else can a person park?? Had my brand new Christensen net that I wanted to try out. I will have to do some better planning next year.

Last night was the best run of smelt I have had this year. I have smelted every night for the last week sans tues and weds of last week. We got close to 90 gallons of smelt in about 2 hours on the south shore.

did you leave any for next year? smile

90 gallons?

Sounds like old times. Back around 70 or so one year on the Temperance we filled a pickup box in a few hours.

It was common back then. That mentality was totally different.

Went to the point tonight and only saw 2 groups pulling. Windy and COLD. I didnt even break out the net.