• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smelting report for Lake Superior and Tribs

Hope you guys wind up better than we did here in the bay. I did not get half of what I need. I am looking for bulk smelt, will drive over to pick up large loads if you get em. Pay is decent. and yes I have been in touch with the commercials, they have to fill all their orders before they have any extra to sell, and that may not happen this year. SO, if you get a bunch give me a call. I'll make it worth your while. Thanks, Craig.

Note from Admin: Please read forum posting rules before posting again.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• MOBY RICHARD*

• protrapper

• opsirc

Craig if we do get into them Ill let ya know but with this goofy wind, rain and cold we are having it dont look good.

Northlander,

Sorry I didn't get your call last night I gave up with the bad weather and hit the rack early. I'll be out tonight after volleyball. Heading to the point at 9:00pm and will stay as long as I have to so we can get the job done. Friday and Sunday are still there if needed.

Randy and Marty,

If I have the names correct It was great meeting the two of you and I look forward to making it a regular event. Before you make your next trip to Duluth we need to exchange cell numbers.

BD110 if the weather permits Ill be at the usual spot. If its too windy Ill be at the Lester.

I talked to Rory @ Sivertsons. He has two nets in the bay . He said it's the worst he has ever seen. He figures 3-4 days it will be over?? Didn't have any luck but it's still a good time. Thanks for the reports . Don't know if we make it up again this year or not. My dad's on his death bed so will just watch the reports to see how you all do! Good Luck!

hoping it will last thru sat night, have to work so the earliest I will get out if tomorrow night.

Been eating smelt for around 52 years, just love em. One thing I noticed for the 1st time this year is that Cub in St. Louis Park, MN had them all winter long, still do as I was there yesterday. I read a few weeks back there is a lake over in Wisconsin that has been over run with them. It's located northeast and up by the UP of Mich. If I find the article I'll post again. They are going to have a week long event, take as much as you can deal. Just hope they don't put the whole fish in the garden, just the entrails. Used to love the Lester, the By Scout tent that was set up just across the road, they even had smelt fry's down at Park Point and it seems little town fird dept's used to have em. Excelsior MN fire dept used to have em, Royalton Mn, even a little town in WI east of LaCrosse. Brooklyn Park had a smelt fry last spring, very good. I'd take garbage bags of em home after they closed at night and micro them by the dozens and make smelt sandwiches, drove girlfriend and ex-wife out of the house. For my B-day this past January I ate lunch at Phillili Creek down in Sarasota Florida and had 2 smelt lunches. I'm hooked on Smelt!

Tom, you got the names right. Thanks for all the info. We'll defintely keep in touch for next year. Heck, wish I had a little more time next week, I'd run up again! Good luck in your smelt chasing.

Planning on going up for round 2 tonight. Hoping the wind forecast is right and we can seine the Point. I see most people talk about Park Point or the Tot Lot. Any significant differences between the two areas - depth, bottom type, etc? Are some areas preferred over others? Thanks for the info.

Park point is very long as you know. The tot lot is just one of a few places that you can go after smelt. If I was able to tell what area on park point would do better then the others on a given night I would be a happy man.

The NOAA forecast is looking good for waves...switching to from the E to from the W this Aft, and should be 1 Foot or less...hope the change doesn't switch the Smelt to the East...

14 smelties at the lester last night. Scooped from 10-11.

that does not look too good. 14 smelts in 1 hour thats nothing at all basically. i guess the run this year is not as good, would you guys agree or do you guys still think its still going to get better.

The Bridge, tot lot, turtle park, airport and beyond all can be good at times. There is no structure that makes 1 place better than the other except the breakwalls. There is no way of teling where the biggest batch of smelt will be on any given night. Its about eliminating water. If you dont get them 1 spot you go to the next. Or you spread your forces out and use your cels to comunicate who is doing what.

65 and sunny here in Cloquet right now, whats it looking like for pulling on the point tonight?

As of 4:30 PM, wind gusts of over 30-37 MPH are being reported up on the hill...if that continues and comes down on the water, it won't be possible to stand in the water out on The Point...

I'm waiting for one more update at around 6PM...if it comes through, it will tell the tale...

Tomorro looks pretty Sunny which adds about 30 degrees to the posted air temps, and probably will bring the water temps up enough for a good run...

Well the winds are going to be there tonight, though lessening after 9PM...waves are supposed to be 1-2 feet which is not good, unless it's less right at the West end...

Another boonswaggle birdsnest, out of nowhere...

Im headed down in a few and I have a feeling the winds may shut us down again. Oh well Ill dip the lester.

Yeah, the new Nowcast says there is 2 footers...

Don't worry we will get them tomorro night... or Saturday night, while you are recovering from the WI Skunkener...Oops, I meant Opener...

Seriously, the run is just getting under way, and wacky weather and waves permitting, should get much better over the next few days...

Looks like fri nite and the weekend could be ok. With any luck we will get down there.

Just got back. Still slow. About 4 gallons for 3 of us and it looked the same for everyone else. 9:30-11pm still looks to be best. Airport area did better tonight with 11 gallon reports but 1 mans 11 gallons is another mans 8 but I dont doubt it because there is some deeper water off the airport in quick reach.

Back at it tomorrow. I still need about 10 more gallons.

Ripstick call me I need ya to pull with me tomorrow night.

We also just got back. We did very well on park point. We (i think 8 of us) all ended with our 5 gallons and some took more. We went on a streak where in 2 pulls we filled a 5 gal. then 3 pulls filled another and we had one pull where we got about 6 gallons. We where on a little underwater point where we could walk out super far. After our little streak we where getting between half a gallon and a gallon or so. Still most of them where males but we did get a couple big 8-9 inch females. by the time I left around 11:30 the wind was starting to switch making it a little more difficult and there was only a couple other groups i could see.

We were closer to the bridge tonight and ended up with about 2-3 gallons. Didn't seem like anyone was doing much better than that over there. Still fun to wet the seine, but need more than that.

I just got home as well. Down by the airport. Ten Gallons between three of us. Got there at 10:30, pulled till 12:45. I'd say tonight was pretty good. Small waves, little wind. Now all I gotta do is clean them and eat up.

Eric

Excellent reports guys...they are really starting to move...it will get even better...

Hoping to get my feet wet tonight...

Any river reports...???

What is the weather looking like for tonight? I am thinking of driving up from St. Paul to give it a shot.

hoping to get out tonight, probably start off at tot lot andgo from there, anyone else heading down tonight?

I heard some good (not great) reports from the point last night. I'll be out there myself tonight

The Lester was ok for scooping last night. From 9:30 to 10:30 was getting smelt every other scoop or so. At one point a 5 banger.

It's all I needed. Bait freezer is ready for 2009.

Have fun guys.