• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

dougger, where do they run at Grindstone? Up the little creek by the landing, or are people just netting them along shore somewhere?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• MOBY RICHARD*

• fish_4_fun

• Pickelfarmer

Water temps are advancing, the ice packs on Superior are shrinking fast...temps will ease back a bit this weekend but I don't think it will be more than a week before they start...maybe 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for a strong run... cool

They run the creeks but seining the shores is more productive. More work but better results. They go where the water temp tells them to go. If anyone is looking to get rid of any I'd be happy to find a home for them. I'd like to run up to the south shore but not sure if I can make the trip. It's not just "down the road" anymore.

If you are looking for a great smelt fry and also want to help out a local service club, Our Cloquet Kiwanis Club is having an all you can eat smelt fry on Thursday 4/23 at the Lost Isle in Carlton from 4:30 till 6:30pm for only $6.00 If you have ??? call Dan at 879-4581. Thanks, hope to see ya there

Thanks Dan...218 prefix I presume...for out of area partys...

Well the waters cooled inland and run was slow there...it was chilly standing around...

NOAA forecast for water temps is that it will be a little cooler for the next 4 days...bummer, but it has to warm eventually...

The good news is that Lake Temps are Homogenizing due to the shrinking ice pack and once that is complete will advance more regularly...

Still 8-10 degrees below what is ideal...week and a half to two???

Pingpong anyone...???

thanks moby for the update, we all hope to hear more from you and the rest of the guys over there in duluth. keep up the update. you guys are awsome.

Sadly Im thinking 2 weeks or so. By then Ill be crappie fishing and waiting for opener.

wait for two more weeks so i can keep catching them alone. i bet they will be running good by friday.

are you guys up there in duluth smelting already, or are you guys just observing. and if you guys are smelting, are you at least catching some smelt?

I havent seen nor heard of anyone smelting yet. Still ice on the south shore and parts of park point. water is still COLD!

Fishkid are you going to say where your catching smelt or just toss out teasers?

A couple of my buddies went to Grindstone on Friday night and didn't do real well (30 smelt). They where told that it was decent last Monday and Tuesday. They didn't go back Saturday. Was anyone up there Sat night?

The first time I plan on taking a look at Park Point will be this Friday or Sunday. I have Monday through Friday open next week so that's when I'm hoping for. If anyone has been out in Duluth I know I've not been a part of it. If we would have had more then one day of 70 degree weather that might be another story. 42 degrees and gusting winds as I type this. I'm not even sure what the shore looks like at the moment.

I'm in favor of letting someone else put in four or five late nights looking for the run. You no were you can get in contact with myself and several others if your looking for some help.

I might as well go down to Park Point tonight and give it a try. The ice blew out(we'll see how long it stays out). I'm pretty much just going to find the gravel spots, maybe drop the net to see if anything is there. I'll let you guys know if anything happens to be moving around, the water was still very cold, so we'll see.

Sunday night there...very little goin...was told Friday and Saturday had been good...cold 40 degree water and air...

If the ice is off the point all we need are a few warm days and they will be going. It supposed to be 85 here in St. Cloud on thursday. If you get 70 its game on as long as the ice is out.

Well I guess somebody had to be first. Made six pulls by the bridge with no luck. Water COLD. Did not even pick up any shinners stickle backs etc. Yes we need some calm and sunny warm days to get them going.>>>>>>later the load

Closest I have seen smelt while out trolling is in about 45' of water and not many at all. Still too cold for the Big Lake. Couple of Lakers did have smelt in them though.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Forecast is temps in the 50s and 60s the next few days.

Strong North winds should be piling up the water.

Once those waves lay down I think you'll see smelt in close.

Unfortunately I'll be turkey hunting then but will hit is later on next week.

I was out last night. Like loadmaster, I too had to be one of the first ones out. There is still a little ice left by the Airport on Park Point, everywhere else its gone. No luck with ten pulls. I did get a [PoorWordUsage] load of minnows though.

Yes, warm is what we need. I'll try again this weekend.

I havent seen nor heard of anyone smelting yet. Still ice on the south shore and parts of park point. water is still COLD!

Fishkid are you going to say where your catching smelt or just toss out teasers?

You have to think out of the box. He got over 2000 last night.(Yes they count them)

yes....

If your talking about fishing Lake Superior from Park Point. I have no idea about St. Louis Bay. I'm guessing that you have a Wisc. Lisc. Is that why your asking the question about what's needed to smelt on Park point?

Originally Posted By: Northlander

You have to think out of the box. He got over 2000 last night.(Yes they count them)

So where is he smelting than? Does nobody any good to post about it here if you dont tel them where to try. I can understand he doesnt want to give up his spot but if thats the case he shouldnt come on here braging about getting smelt.

I heard from a buddies nieces boyfriends hair dresser that they were getting some runs in the Ashland area ,,,cant say the numbers were in the thousands tho

LAS

I know they are getting them in Ashland and that a "Few" were in the Lester but nothing worth getting excited about yet.

I haven't heard anything reliable about any coming out of Ashland or the North Shore, dippin' or shore seining...

A anybody have hard evidence and numbers...the water should be too cold...except for possible Commercial Operations out in the deep water...

I know some think its ok to infer that it is about Superior Shore Smelting when it's about Offshore or Inland, but remember some are coming from a good distance...like it or not, its only right to be honest or not post on it...