• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Things not looking good for the state park

Thanks for the welcome Cliff- i enjoy reading your comments on this page- they are very helpful and spot on.

Here is sometihing that i found in the DNR conservation voulnteer online.

Vision for Vermilion

By Gustave Axelson

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/marapr08/vision_vermilion.html

DNR Parks director Courtland Nelson says...

But Courtland's vision for this state park goes beyond classic. "We have a chance to try something new in this first state park of the 21st century," he said.

"Now those resorts are gone, many lodges have gone upscale, and people are looking for something different from state parks. We need to get more into cabins.

-----

I am begining to think that a park would have a very very big impact on the eastern end of vermilion...

a612er,

Looks like I stand corrected on my last statement! Hope that the State Park cabin DREAM is just that,a dream! frown I did read that article earlier and somehow that statement got by me!

Cliff

From the way the park is sounding, it doesn't seem like there would be any difference to the lake wether the park is there or the condo's.

Just because the state buys the land and turns it into a park doesn't mean it's going to stay natural...2 years ago washington county bought over 1,000 acres of natural land on big marine lake to turn into a county park and restore/preserve the area...well, double concrete boat ramp with 50 trailer spaces, 200 yard long swimming beach, giant playground and picnic area later, the entire plot looks more like a golf course. All the woods and grasslands are gone in favor of a huge lawn.

I remember that article. He was lamenting the loss of the old style inexpensive rustic cabins and their replacement by upscale places. On the west end, Red Loon and Naughton's are gone. Pehrson has gone upscale. Ludlows has really gone upscale. Muskego looks about the same, but I can't tell from the water. Likewise for White Eagle, which seems to be trying to go upscale some. Spring bay seems about the same, but they are trying to go condo or something if they can as I recall. Whispering Winds is just trying to get habitable.

I don't know what is happening in the East.

It does seem that there is this trend towards upscaling, because of market demand and financial necessity. The state doesn't have either of those drivers so they can accomodate people in more rustic and affordable fashion.

I don't know whether this would be a good thing or a bad thing.

With the economy the way it is and lake homes not moving so well, maybe US Steel will change their minds. You gotta figure it would take some serious $$ to even get the roads etc in.

I just read the other day in the Timberjay newspaper that the estimated cost of just the sewer treatment plant for U.S. Steel's proposed project would be around $20 million!

Cliff

I know the more I think about the more I think they maybe bluffing or using some of this for negotiating.

I still think the State Park would be the lesser of 2 evils over a large development.

Just a couple of comments:

1. I think both US Steel and our governor are jocking for position. US Steel is negotiating for other things (permits, leases, etc.) and the governor is acting like he's not interested. Don't believe anything yet.

2. Last I heard, there were 300-350 lots and cabins/homes for sale on Vermilion. I think one or two sold the whole last year----at that at a huge reduction in price. For the County Commissioners to be counting their tax revenues is very far fetched. Counting their chickens before the eggs have hatched. It may take 50 years for those 140+ lots to sell----if then!

3. If the lots do sell, and the million dollar plus homes/cabins do get built, can you imagine what that will do to peoples property taxes in that area? It's all about comparables when taxes are determines. Get a couple of those selling and present owner property taxes will quadruple.

4. One thing about cabin/home owners compared to a state park is that people who own lakeshore tend to want to make swimming beaches. Which means removing vegetation from the water. Add this to lawns to the waters edge and you have a bad situation for the lake and fish.

5. Every year Vermilion gets more "locked up" by private ownership and fewer resorts. A state park would mean the average guy and his family would have the opportunity to enjoy the lake.

a few more comments to think about

1. I have not seen the proliferation of available properities on the lake for sale as alg speaks of. A quick search on MLS revealed 47 listed cabins/lots by area relators- give or take a 100 or so cabins for sale by owner that is far fewer than 300-350.

2. "Developed" lots fetch far more in property tax than un-subdivided land. The developer would be resopnsible for those taxes until a new owner is found.

3. What million dollar cabins? yes there may be a few, but most cabins on vermilion are just that cabins. What is the difference between a cabin and a milllion dollar home as far as disturbance to that relitavely undisturbed area goes- a cabin is a cabin as far as im concerned.

4. The new sewer system sounds like it will be much better for the lake than many current septic systems over exposed/shallow bedrock now.

5. I hear negative comments about the "flotilla" near hoo-doo point in spring, and traffic into stuntz bay. A park with 200,000 visitors will make those areas seem like the bwca- with all of the boats in a out of the new marina.

New cabins with owners visiting a few weekends a year- possibly as manay as 10-12 weekends at the most will be much better than the proposed park which would probably be at capacity memorial day to labor day.

as i stated before i like the way things are now, but i feel the bigger evil is quite obvious

612er

a612er, I live up north not far from Lake Vermilion. You ought to call a realtor that specializes in lakeshore property on Lake Vermilion, and you will find that there are indeed over 300 properties on Vermilion for sale, and have been for quite some time. Only two properties were sold this last year, one going for approximately $200,000 less then the asking price. Also, at the last St. Louis County board meeting, when discussing the Vermilion Park issue, it was stated by the commissioners that if the lots were developed, they expected the homes (cabins???) would be valued in the million dollar plus range. You can check the Mesabi Daily News in Virginia, or the Duluth News Tribune to verify. I have been following this issue closely since it first came up.

You're probably right, a new sewer system would likely be better then present septic systems. But we're not comparing old to new. We're comparing a new sewer system for 140 plus private residents to a new park sewer system. Which of these would be better? Both would be better then current septic systems over exposed/shallow bedrock.

I've been to many state campgrounds on lakes, and have never seen the "flotilla" or congestion you speak of. Most of the boats at campgrounds are small fishing boats, canoes, or people camping with no boat at all. Its at homes (cabins?) where you see the large power boats, jetskis, and so on. And of course, the "lake rakes" and chemicals to produce a clear swimming beach.

Lastly, I know many people with cabins on Lake Vermilion. You're right, many only stay at their cabins for a few weekend. But with homes (cabins?) in the million dollar range, they will likely be there year around, or at least from May to October.

I am definitely in favor of a state park at Vermilion. Every time I fish on Vermilion and see more and more wild and scenic shoreland become developed. Once it's gone it's gone.

Forgot to mention, the average price of those 140 developed lots is $500,000------one half a million dollars, just for the lot.

Form the points everyone has brought up I'd prefer a state park minus these cabins that have been proposed. As said before the government has no business creating competition for privatly owned business.

Only two properties were sold this last year, one going for approximately $200,000 less then the asking price.

I'm not sure that this is accurate. I know that Spring Bay Resort purchased the 2 adjoining cabins & properties within the past 6 months.

That would mean that no other properties were sold on the entire lake.

Quote:
5. I hear negative comments about the "flotilla" near hoo-doo point in spring, and traffic into stuntz bay. A park with 200,000 visitors will make those areas seem like the bwca- with all of the boats in a out of the new marina.

With that statement I can tell you have not spent that much time at State Parks. Most people that stay are not the real hard core fishing people you are talking about. From what I have seen most people at state parks are there for camping, relaxing and site seeing. Pretty low key.

Personally, I do not have an opinion on the Park issue, if its a park, its still being development from the raw land it is now. If its lots with private homes it development also, just being developed differently.

I do agree that government should not be competing with private businesses.

There are a number of resorts that have gone up scale but here on the East end the majority have not.

I would have to agree with Upnorth, the people in the park are not necessarily going to be on the water. To a fairly high percentage, guessing around 30-40% may not even bring a boat. Just having the fresh air and a campfire and some relaxation is all they are looking for.

As a person from out of state, from Illinois, I have visited lake vermilion and spent thousands of dollars in the area just camping, fishing and hunting. The draw for me, to the Tower Lake Vermilion area, is the undeveloped aspect of the northwoods that I found for the first time just several years ago. I have spent many years fishing the Walker Leach Lake area and now, having seen it grow into the "monstrosity" that it has become, it only saddens me when I visit. One of, if not the major draw for me to the Tower/Vermilion area is the ability to feel like like I am in the northwoods. The creation of a State Park will only increase the draw for myself and my family to visit year after year. I really hope MN can pull this through somehow because that park, if it is created, will be a state treasure for everyone.

Well said Olfster i to would like to see it a park , my reasoning is once its gone its gone its not coming back! If they cant get the whole thing ,how about a 50/50 thing? Believe me im all for progress and i know the area needs industry, so why couldnt something like that work? I know corporate greed, but ya know they own it and have paid their way so they hold the trump card!

Thank you Olfster for your point of view, I think that you represent a majority of people that really won't be heard from in general.

I do think that when USX originally was looking at the development, there probably was some potential for the 400-500K lot prices, I think the real estate market (along with the lending practices changing from 4-6 years ago) is going to drop the lot prices, but who knows by the time they develop it, things could be back to where they were a few years ago.

I can only hope that they people who are interested in the Park talk to their legislators. Of course if you're not interested in the Park please don't talk to anyone, actually I think that if you have an interest one way or the other it's important to let people know.