• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FasterThanYou23

• FishSystem

• bigbad401

• kaine

was out today. measured 12 inches in every hole i drilled. Top 3 to 4 inches was real white brittle frozen slush/ice. so I'd say 9 inches of good ice. tons of people parking on the ice and a lot of people driving. maybe a little early for big vehicles. i wouldn't have driven. caught a few but was with my 7 year old so i couldnt focus to much on me.

Coming from brooklyn park how would i get to the entrance I have no wheeler f-150 and a old camper converted to fish house i would like to put it out tomorrow any help would be great thanks James

KG243, bigbad401

I had about 10 inches of good ice on about 30ft of water

Only caught crappies. mh1313 had a decent one at 10" and I had four at 8". Otherwise it was just fun catching the 5-6-7 inchers. Marked fish like crazy. Very VERY light bite. I had to play it all be feel. Often times I was 4-5 ft off the bottom.

Didnt get out till after 5 so I didnt move around much. Caught fish well until about 8pm. Green glow worked well for me.

Next time out I will be in at a different depth. I think it is time for the move.

Thanks a lot Big A. Rush is my lake of choice when ice fishing and since I have not been out yet I like to know what conditions are like.

I live near rush lake and have fished it my hole life 28 years. The crappies have gotten small the past 5 or 6 years. Way to many people fish the lake now. Your lucky if you catch a 10 inch.

?????

I can agree with you that there is a lot of pressure on the lake for the past few years. But I cannot imagine that I am that LUCKY... cause I dont think I have ever stepped onto the ice on Rush without myself or someone I am with iceing some real nice SLAB crappies IE: 10+ inches. Granted they are not as easy to find. But those of us who know where to look and what to use = no problem.

It is absolutely nuts to see how many people will drive to Rush Lake from deep metro areas to fish Crappies. I refuse to drive more than 30 minutes to fish for panfish. This is MN. No need to travel to accomplish that task folks.

Rush used to be an AMAZING lake. Now its just Good not Great. Hopefully it will come back. But its up to all of us to make that happen. Clean up the garbage. Catch and release. Respect the resource.

I wish there was A LOT more DNR presence on Rush Lake to clean up the "problems". Also a slot size would be like hittin the lottery!

Yea.. I know... keep dreamin... frown

I dont know if a slot on crappies will help just like it didnt for green lake. That lake is absolutely filled to the brim with 7-8 inchers now because every last fish over 9 gets kept.

Was out on Friday and caught 6 eyes, kept 4. Also caught a few crappies, perch, and sunfish. Was out from about 1-9:30 or so. Did meet a nice guy who drug me out to my spot on his wheeler, but he left something behind. If your on here PM so i can get it back to you.

651 - about 3 years ago, there used to be 5" crappie on Green now it's getting close to 8", I expect it will be good fishing in two more 2 years. It would help if people didn't cheat so much on the size limit - 9" minimum for crappie.

There was around 12-14inches out from cigar island on Sunday we were out from noon to 5pm caught three walleyes two drinkers and one 15inches saw tons on the flasher but they were being the usual picky rush fish. Good luck and lets hear how people are doing!

I've been out half a dozen times now...The ice is 6-8in of solid ice with 2-3 inches of white ice on top (as of Sunday). A moderate amount of snow, but a lot is blowing off the lake.

I've been catching decent sized crappies (9+ in). The electronics are lit up like a christmas tree, but the bite is very light, and often no bite at all. I'd sure like someone with a camera to tell me if I'm looking at finicky fish, or what the hell is showing on the screen!

truck is loaded and warmed up. Headin out to cigar right now. If you see me, follow me....the walleyes seem to do it. Will report back.

is there any slush out there or can you move around pretty freely? just wondering about thinking about taking out the big house but dont want to get stuck not able to get to my spot. this wont betil next weekend so any info on that thanks

In my travels thus far on the lake I've found scattered slush and enough ice to drive on. Most areas the snow and slush combined isn't more than 6 inches. Getting around is pretty easy.

BE WARNED! I found a spring hole and slushy area that last Friday was solid not slushy ice. Don't venture too far off the beaten path unless you check it out first.

The East end. Didn't make it to where I wanted, walked out and broke the rope on me porty. Ended up in 25ft. and tried to hook some of the tiny negitive crappies. A few, but too slow so away I go.

Any Ice updates from people out the last week? I was out there from the west side public access around the 18th? want to head out again tomorrow. wondering if were seeing a foot of good black ice yet? thanks

I was on the north end of Wilson island and I found 10-11 inches of GOOD ice with about 3-4 inches of the white ice. There were full sized trucks and SUVs all over the place. I walked out at first, but it was very hard trekking so I set up, found out how much ice there was in my area and then went back to get my JEEP.

The bite was very lite and very quick for the crappies. About an hours worth of action. The sizes were 6-9 inches.

was out yesterday. chose to walk because i had the wife and kid with me. same report of fishing as bigdad above. it was a hard pull once you got off the beaten path.

well planning on going out wed. afternoon and bringing the wheel house. is there a road out of the public access that runs all the way south passed the island out in front of the old cj bar (is that crane island?)

holehopper, there is a road that leads south of Wilson island, but I don't know how far it goes. I normally fish on the northwest side of Wilson. I would be leery of driving full sized trucks out there, even though there were a lot of them on the ice.

thanks bigbad. im going to pull it up there with 3/4 ton but my brother going to meet me there with a small blazer to pull it out so that should work. i do fish the same side of the island but little more north along the shore in the 32' hole . big brown house made on top of a trailer.

even a blazer with the weight of a wheel house is a lot of weight. I dont think there was a foot of good ice under the frozen stuff on saturday. I would be careful.

I would be very careful with all that weight holehopper. I did see some full sized trucks pulling their houses out, but I don't think there was enough ice for that. Some people are either really brave or completely naive and stupid. And yeah, there was NOT a foot of good ice underneath the white ice.

Anyone finding walter on west rush. I've tried east rush twice with no luck. 6 big crappies though on christmas night in 21 FOW. Biggest was 11in, smallest 9in.