• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FasterThanYou23

• FishSystem

• bigbad401

• kaine

They are out there... My father, who lives on the lake, caught a 27" pig right around the first of the year. Fishing for crappies and not doing so well, he kept seeing a blob on his graph. Finally she took it. He was pretty excited. Fishing in 30+ feet of water.

i was out last sat. and was by cigar tip cigar island and the fish were stacked up but not bitting caught 1 in 3 hours then moved to a spot across the lake and found drilled hole and caught 5 in 5 minutes . so iguess its about right time right place. can you still get off the shore with 4wheeler at the access ? any help would be great

unfortunately i think the ice is about shot for this year the shore lines are thin and starting to break up, and alot of water and slush on top of the ice. deffinately not drivable i probably wouldn't even take wheeler out. if you do walk out be extra careful around the shorelines and shallow spots.

a normal size guy should have no problems for at least a week. The ice is still fine on White Bear 50 mile south? I'll be there sat.

I didn't get a walleye on that lake this season but last year i caught a nice 16 3/4 the weekend after it closed!! It was a fun fight on light line though!

Whats the best bet for ice out crappies and sunfish - East or West Rush?? Should I concentrate on the north ends or are there other areas that would be better to try??

You might wanna re-post in that region's forum but I'd stick to west if I were forced to pick between the two. The north end will be full of crappies and fisherman as the water temp creeps up and the weather stays consistent. You'll know when the fish are there. There'll be a couple hundred people lining the shore at Franzen Park.

Also the channel on the North side, of the East end, of the East side. If that makes any sense. LOL It will be full of boats.

heading out to west tomorrow with the boat and was woundering if the ice is all out yet.

Going up to East Rush lake Sunday I will check out that Channel on the east end of rush in the muddy bay east side. My father in law lives on that channel. In the past when we fish from shore the fish don't move in tell mid April. Bad news is there are time's I have fished from shore only to pull my line in every five minutes because of all the boat traffic. Channel is only 20 or 25 feet wide at the most and with the dock in there from the homes it can get a little tight. If the lake is down like it has been in the last few years, the channel turns up into a black mud hole from all the boats going in and out and the fish shut down. If you do hit it right it can be a lot of fun. I personal don't fish the channel much any more because of all the traffic. Not even from shore unless I'm only there to visit for the day and there are only a few boats in there. If I take a boat out on the lake, I go to west rush and fish the north end. There are a lot of people fishing that end from shore and by boat, but you have the advantage with the boat and there is more room then the small channel on east rush. If you do fish west rush and find your self at the south end of the lake as you inter the big muddy bay where the channel is there is a hole just a little past the points from both sides of the bay about the middle of the lake. I have had good luck there and along the SW shore just before you inter the muddy bay. The other thing I know from talking to my father in law is that a bunch of small bogs have floated in along the shore at the entrance of the inlet. My father in law is not happy. He is trying to move them out of the way some time this week. I was going to help but he and the neighbor are going to take care of it. I well post again if I find out any thing more or see what the activity is on the lake. Good luck on the water. JEALOUS NOT Just don't have the time to do it all, right now. Scouting and shooting bow for first week of Turkey hunting.

Went to Patterson Bay at the north end of West Rush. Caught a bunch of Sunnies off of the dock, had a few nice ones to keep and clean for a nice little fish fry. At the park and there is a channel that runs under the road there as well. People were catching a few decent crappies out of the west part of that channel. Pretty fun, but with the crowds and people keeping the little ones, its frustrating to watch them keep the little ones and ask you for your's. I am gonna get the boat ready and head out soon.

I know how you feel. Some people just keep everything. I think the DNR should come up with a size limit on pan fish. Like a clear box with one side open. One for crappies and one for sunnies. The fin of the fish should extend past the opening of the box when the fish are put in there. DNR would have to do some study as to the size of the box. At least the fish size could have a chance to increase. Was at father in laws Sunday. Six boats in the channel South end of west rush. I was only there for two hours. It looked like no one was catchen fish. Atleast six more boats came in the channel while I was there. Two left. I didn't get a chance to talk to any one. Had family things to take care of.

Just wondering if anybody has fished West Rush for crappies lately? I was out about 2 days after ice out and fishing was slow. Thinking about heading that way tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

OK why is nobody posting anything latley. I would give up dates but my boat is in the body shop.I am waiting for the check to get back to me after sending it to the bank so they can endorse it. I might have the boat back on Monday Its killing my looking at the lake this AM. Not a ripple on the water.Once Im back up and fishing I will post some info about the Rushes

Ok I get it Im the onley one not fishing. Good news for me is got the boat back after writing a check for $4 thou. in body damage lucky for me the Ins. covered mostof it.Oil change on Wed. then into the water it goes. Hopfully you guys havent caught all the fish yet.

Fishing is little slow, but you can limit out. Sometimes the AM fishing is better other days the late afternoon. It doesn't seem to depend upon temp or the sunshine. You can always join the crowd at Patterson's Park on West Rush. Launch/dock is good.

• 4 weeks later...

any one been out lately? i went out monday picked up four walleyes all under 15"nothing after 8am lindy rig and a leech.we need some heavy winds i all ways seem to do better when the wind is blowing strong

Not killing them but doing ok. Only fishing later go out around 6:30 PM setting up on weed line with shiner under a bobber Fish have been 15 to 20 inchers only one under 15 so far this year. The wife caught a 14 inch crappie on a golden shiner the other night. Hows everyone else been doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just wondering how the bass have been biting on East & Rush lake? I have never fished these lakes before and any help on how the bite has been or how to try and fish them would be greatly appreciated. Any idea on lure types or depth? Are top water baits working yet? Thanks in advance.

Fairlane, this is just my opinion but i have fished Rush for quite a few years and have seen it go from a great bass fishery to a fair fishery in the last 10 years.

Im not certain of the reason, but there are many opinions on why (to many tournements, Muskys, large northerns, pillicans, cormorants). But whatever the reason IT IS NOT WHAT IT WAS.

Now to your question on the bite. They are hitting up shallow it just depends on the day. I have a had quite a few blow ups on top water but the hook up rate is low. There was (last week) still alot of pond weed, and they have done alot of spraying for weeds this year. Which has IMO moved the fish from the shallow water out a littel deeper. But getting or finding them deep has been tough for me so far.

I always start shallow on Rush, if you hear or see fish feeding they're give them a shot with a frog or another slop bait. have a follow up bait ready to drop on them after they miss your first presentation and you should catch a few. Personally if your just fishing for fun i would go to one of the other near by lakes that gets less preasure. Thats what I have been doing lately , im just to frustrated with Rush anymore.

Good luck and let us know how you did.