• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing reports.

Photo hurry up with the baby thing Im gettin tired of being land-locked. Tell the wife "I got needs too...." (meaning me)

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• photo

• 2thepointsetters

• walleyehunter80

I know it's been tough weather, but where are the reports?? I've only gotten out twice, and not for over a week, but the water was cold and devoid of fish for me! I did talk to my brother today who was out from the superior entry on sat. and had water temps in the upper 40's, even broke 50, but no fish! So who's doing better??

I'm going to try to head out on the big lake tonight; first time of the year out! Am I better off to fish deep; or fish the surface at the inlets?

Thanks for the heads up, I can't see the lake from my office and was planning on heading down to check it out at lunch. I guess we'll try it another day!

No reports because we only had 1/2 a day the past week to get out. Lots of wind lately.

Yeah I was going to ask how the lake was holding up to this wind

Got out today from 9AM to 2:15PM. One bite, one fish. Majority of the fish marked on the graph were from 30-60 feet down. Ran surface boards all day, nothing. The one fish we did get was 28 inches and deathly skinny.

It was a laker.

Went again today and had a little more luck, but pretty slow. Put in at Mcquade at 6 and fished till noon. Had 3 hits landed two lakers. One 30 the other 25. They were caught down deep in 150 FOW.

got 12 for 14 on the wisconson side on sunday. 7 lakers, 2 cohos, 1 king, 1 brown, and a walleye. all but 1 laker on top. heard on the radio lots of lakers caught out on the line.

Are they up on the surface out on the line?? How many miles out from the bridge?

7miles out on the wisconson side of the line in 85 to 115ft of water. like i said all on top except 1 laker down around 30 or so on a dipsey with a silver spoon.

11 lakers, 1 king, 1 coho out from the Superior entry. All fish on the surface. Nothing on the riggers.

Water is still cool so a lot of fish on top. Seems like a lot of guys fishing the line in 85' and more but the fish are spread out all over so no need to all pile on the line. Many different colors working. Depends on conditions. Enjoy fishing now is as easy as it will get all year.

The boats were really stacked up yesterday. Not sure why as the fish were all over the place and it was mud. We even through out a door hinge with a treble hook and caught a nice laker. Lost him near the boat.

A little known secret.....we have better luck fishing while staying away from the pack......also avoid "boat rage".

Ya thats what happens when a newspaper puts out a story about a 40# laker and tels people where is was supposedly caught.

Ill catch less fish and stay away from the boats any day. I hate trolling in a pack.

JAWS weekend next weekend and there will surely be a lot of fish caught out there.

I do wish they would get rid of the walleye division in that thing though. I see to many HUGE walleyes killed in that tourney!

Hit the Cheesey entry area for a bit yesterday. Managed to get 1 walleye before the rain/hail and winds came. Just past Dutchmans outside the mud in 51' of water.

Thanks to who ever answered me on the radio yesterday with the hot tip. It worked out for me. Not 10 minutes after I put on that Reef runner did I have a nice fat 24" eye in the boat. CPR'd of course.

I hope to get out Mon/tues and cover some more water.

Northlander, just wondering if you ever venture out on any of the southern pools of the mississippi in the hunt of the ol eyes, pool 4, 5, or 5a?

No I havent. I would like to but fishing is so good up here I dont know why I would drive down there to fish eyes. It would be nice to try something new if I had someone to get me pointed in the right direction. Some day Ill give it a shot when the times right.

Fished the Gitch last night. Went 2 for 3. 1 king, 1 laker and missed another at the boat. Great night to be on the big lake!

I also was out. Couldnt get any eyes so I went Laker fishing. Got my 3 pretty quickly and had 1 king bust me off and a few smaller ones but that was about it. Didnt see a lot of nets out around me thats for sure.

I dont like the lake when its flat.

Fished Wednesday and it was glass! 12 lakers, 1 coho. Fish were hungry until noon and then shut down.

I will take flat anyday even if the fishing was slow.

Headed out yesterday morning with my oldest son, fellow FM'er Wade J and his son.

Very few boats on the lake and very calm water.

Fishing was slow, we had a couple of hits on the downriggers and got one nice steelhead that was returned to the lake. Graphed a lot of fish and tried lots of tactics to get some to bite with no luck. Headed in at noon just as the wind was starting to kick up.

Steve

Very few boats on the lake

You must not have been on the South Shore, cause there were several hundred (or at least it seemed that way) out of the Wisconsin entry, as far as you could see in most any direction. Did manage a few lakers, will be good table fair tonight.

We followed the MN shoreline out. Could see a couple boats out by the state line in the AM, and only one at noon.

We both had MN and WI licenses and considered hitting the south shore but chose to hit the pumping station area.

Steve

Ya the SS was a mess with boats in the morning from about 7:30-noon. Dont take long for people to find out where the fish are I guess. Fishing has been pretty consistant out the line in 65-95' of water. A bit shallower yesterday.

Went out Saturday 7AM - 1PM from McQuade. Unfortunately didn't catch a thing. I threw everything I had at 'em. Planer boards, dipsey divers, slide divers, downrigger, lead core, spoons, stick baits, every color, size shape I had. I trolled all the way down to the Lester river, almost to the line and back.

Thankfully it was a beautiful day on the lake. If I can't catch anything at least I could enjoy the weather.