• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing reports.

Went out of McQuade on friday, spent 2 hours with only one release on a rigger. Water was 46. Decided to haul over to the line for warmer water. Was 56 on the cheesy side and immediatly had a hard hit on a 57 chev back 175' on a board.

Took Junior 20 minutes (with some help, he got tired lol) to get the fish to the back of the boat. Had it 5' behind the boat and as I went to net it shook and it was off. Was a 12-15# laker, was Jr. bummed...a few tears were shed. Lost another on a pound ball/watermelon flashback when he accidently hit the freespool and poof, gone. Finally landed a 20" laker off a rigger down 100' on a mongolian beef.

Went out under the highbridge on sunday AM and headed for the same area about 8 miles out the line. Marked fish deep but no takers. Trolled back into 75' and picked up a pair of 22" lakers before heading in. Water was up to 65.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• photo

• 2thepointsetters

• walleyehunter80

We were out on Thursday and again, flat water. I will take it though.

12 lakers by noon. No salmon. All fish were on the surface or top 1/3 of the water column caught on assortment (dipsy, boards, and sliders. Fished out of the Sup Entry.

Glad to hear of some bigger fish still being caught. We havent hooked any large ones for a couple weeks and really slim pickings on the salmon.

was out yesterday along the north shore from abour 6 till 10:30 in the morning. managed to pick up three lakers, the biggest about 5 lbs. two came off a surface line one on a downrigger.

almost forgot, does anyone know up at the Mcquade landing, what the height is going under the bridge to get to the docks?

I fished in front of Tofte last night for a few hours, and also today for about 7 hours. Not a bite! I started out in 100 foot, and tried 120, 150, 180, and back in 85 again. the lowest i can get my boat moving with the outboard is 2.7-3.0 mph, any suggestions on tactics???? I fished 3-4 inch spoons in chartreuse, orange and black, rainbow, hammered bronze, no luck. If anybody could get me on a few lakers, I would appreciate it!!

I fished in front of Tofte last night for a few hours, and also today for about 7 hours. Not a bite! I started out in 100 foot, and tried 120, 150, 180, and back in 85 again. the lowest i can get my boat moving with the outboard is 2.7-3.0 mph, any suggestions on tactics???? I fished 3-4 inch spoons in chartreuse, orange and black, rainbow, hammered bronze, no luck. If anybody could get me on a few lakers, I would appreciate it!!

Cut some 1" holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon pail, get a good rope and tie it off the back of your boat that should slow you down. ( cut hole in the top for the rope because it will rip the handle off) Your speed is not bad at all for spoon fishing though. I am sure the water is cold up there and that would explain the slow fishing. I would target the upper 45 feet of the water column or go deep for the lakers that hang near the bottom.

Originally Posted By: David L

Cut some 1" holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon pail, get a good rope and tie it off the back of your boat that should slow you down. ( cut hole in the top for the rope because it will rip the handle off) Your speed is not bad at all for spoon fishing though. I am sure the water is cold up there and that would explain the slow fishing. I would target the upper 45 feet of the water column or go deep for the lakers that hang near the bottom.

what he said.

Your speed is good for spoons. that's what i troll when trolling spoons. I have even trolled some cranks that speed.

try near duluth.

You can buy trolling bags to slow you down but 5 gallon pails will work. that's what i used before buying bags but the buckets took up space. buckets are cheaper, though. when i used buckets, i cut just one 3" hole in the middle. i was able to get my boat down to 1.7-2.2 GPS speed. of course, gps cannot measure wind or currents.

I have picked up lakers, a few so far in the top half of water anywhere from 45-80 feet deep.

are using boards, downriggers, dipseys?

I have all 3, but I had one on a rigger, one on a dipsey, and 2 long lines with 1 1/4 oz keel sinker. on the rigger, I was fishing 50 feet down and 35 feet down.

Hi all,

I am heading up to Duluth this weekend and would like to try some shore fishing. I will be around Canal park or just north of there. I have limited knowledge of the area unfortunately. Can any one point me towards some decent spots?

I am not looking for some huge fish or anything. I am more looking for some fun and good action. Any advice on what is out there and what to use?

Thanks!

fished out of taconite harbor tonight, had 2 riggers release at 129 feet down, no fish. also fished 4 mile lake for 5 hours for walleye, no fish except a pike about 3/4 pound if you call that a fish.

Timrek, if you are near Canal Park then I'd try the Park Point side of the aerial lift bridge pier, also on the river's side. I've never fished there myself, but have been told that Pike and Eel Pout can be had there and I've seen several people fishing there this summer. Also another spot would be the Boy Scout landing (a little farther up river from Canal Park) where you'd have a better chance for a walleye.

Timrek, if you are near Canal Park then I'd try the Park Point side of the aerial lift bridge pier, also on the river's side. I've never fished there myself, but have been told that Pike and Eel Pout can be had there and I've seen several people fishing there this summer. Also another spot would be the Boy Scout landing (a little farther up river from Canal Park) where you'd have a better chance for a walleye.

Thanks Jaxstas. I might give it a try and see what I come up with if I get some free time!

it seems like more people like boards, both inlines and masts, over dipseys. I cannot find anybody at work who also fishes out there that uses dipseys.

downriggers and boards

I will only run dypsies when I have more than 3 guys in the boat so I can get some lines out and down from the boat. Otherwise dypsies are probably my least favorite way to fish on the big lake.

I personally love dipsies. I have had very good success with them. I also use downriggers and a board/mast system. I set the drag on the dipsies just loose enough so if a fish hits the clicker starts singing. I also like useing them on Lake Michigan for salmon. It compliments the "V" pattern I try to create. A few years ago out in front of Park Point in ninety feet of water I could not get a bite on the riggers (mid-summer). We put the same set up out on the dipsies and the fish wanted them. Tried to hit the same depth and set up with the riggers, but nothing. Only dipsies were being hit. That being said, this of course is not the norm by any means. I like to know that they are there when I need to get more lines in the water and that they have produced for me in the past. BC

Dipsies are awesome! I would not fish without them. If you fish without dipsies you leaving out a large piece of the puzzle. More salmon and steelhead will get cought on leadcore off the boards than anything else and dipsies come in a close second. One thing that I have learned over the years is that if your dipsies are way overproducing compared to your riggers, set your riggers with very short leads.

If for some reason your dipsies are not getting hit, set your rigger leads longer than normal. I start my rigger leads out at 15' on one and 30' on the other. I will shorten them all the way up to 4' or 5' or stretch them all the way out to 175'.

Josh

Agree with earlier post that I don't like fishing dipsies, but also with the other posts that they are too effective not to use...at least on Lake Michigan.

I will be up fishing Isle Royale in 2 weeks, its been a few decades since I've been on Superior. I was wondering, what is everyone's favorite go-to color and/or lure for lake trout on Superior? Back in the day it was hammered silver sutton spoon.

My superior lake trout producer is a magnum flashback hammered silver spoon with 2 black tape lines and a black eye near the nose of spoon

Dipsies are a must and are really easy to fish. A good % of our fish this year have come off them. They also let you get addl lines out between the boards and the riggers.

I am not sure why they produce so close to the boat other than maybe the fish are at times attracted to the boat / prop wash.

I have best luck with a medium sized dipsey. The smaller ones tend to bounce out of the water.

Looks like the blow is gonna take a day off tomorrow. Anyone else heading out? If so, we will be out until noon. Give us a shout on the radio.

I like to hear about the bigger fish NL. We have been catching lots of small lakers.....no complaints but I do like to get some bigger ones to.

Anyone else having small laker syndrome?

I dont fish Superior for lakers,,, but still catch a few and they go in my garden (they work better then ROUNDUP) or they go in the smoker ,,,,lately I cant catch any smaller fish to make a limit

LAS

So Sunday is suppose to be the "nicer" day. Surface Tension, myself and the bro-inlaw will be out there Sunday wind permitting. Give us a shout on the radio (marine) if you happen to be washing spoon's that day like us. BC

Doesnt look like today or tomorrow will let us on the big pond but Im hoping to be out bright and early on Sunday morning.

Loonasea dont give away and trade secrets my man. cool Maybe Ill see ya out there, call me if ya get out. Im going to make a longer run than usual I think. wink

Well the forcasters cant make up there mind if winds will be wnw 10-15 or N 5-10 or someplace in between so Ill just get up at 4am and see what I see when I get out there.

Loonasea the small ones aint the problem lately its finding any at all. Thats why Im taking a bit longer run than normal if I cant find them in the usual haunts. If you get out call my cel.

NL

Ill be at the landing at 5:30 and fishing by 6ish ,,,all our fish came in the early morning last weekend ,,,,did that color I told you about catch any thing for you???

If I dont have cell signal I will be monitoring ch16 on the radio

LAS

Yes that color is always good for me. It didnt get many but the ones it did were nice. See ya on the wtaer.

Time for a new cel or provider dude.

I cant help but to laugh reading about you guys and secret colors and posting about it on the forum like you have something hot. If only fishing Superior was that easy, everybody would be able to catch fish consistently if you just needed a secret color. Put the same color down long enough its bound to catch something.

By the way try purple, white, green, glow, copper, pink, orange, chartuse.(Just a few of my secret colors)

2thepoint why ya got to hate man? wink

Believe it or not I do have colors/lures that I can guarantee a fish on almost every time out. Like you say though confedince baits get washed more therefore catch more fish.

I will say that when you know your target species and the colors they see the best under what water conditions and what lure types work best at what water temps you will catch more fish. Lots of folks just troll around blind not paying attention to speed, water clarity, wind direction, currents and temps.

Oh and dont question if I have something hot. They dont call me the "Microwave of the North" for nothing. laugh

"Believe it or not I do have colors/lures that I can guarantee a fish on almost every time out."

I will let you in on another secret, the only captain to gaurantee fish and come through on His promise is Jesus himself. wink

As some of you know I did chartering on the big waters for four years. I did hundreds of trips; rough water, cold early spring trips, rainy blowing days and even some 100 degree dead flat calm water days and I never guaranteed any fish, yet only got skunked once in that whole time on a 1/2 day morning trip, and we did have bites, just never got any fish to the boat. My only secret; I never told anyone that until now! grin Green is the best color to wash everytime out for trout! Hope that helps! Still the best job I ever have! grin