• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing reports.

Pulled the day off tomorrow and the weather looks good...but whats up with the fish? I was out Sat with a buddy in the Jaws tourney and all we could manage was 3 lakers in about 6 hours till the east wind sent us packing, mostly out quite a ways on the Superior side of the line. Today my brother put in 6 hours and did squat. Hey, I like a nice day on the water as much as anyone, but a coho or 2 would sure taste good! I guess we'll head out of Loonsfoot about 5:30 and head down the shore a few miles and see what we can find. Any reports at all? Not really looking for lakers...

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• photo

• 2thepointsetters

• walleyehunter80

75' on the line. Spoons down 50' and silver sticks on top.

I got 3 lakers and 1 walleye in 3.5 hours tonight in that neck of the woods. 1 laker did come out in front of dutchmans in 35'.

My neighbor also did well this morning out there.

went out of mcquade last night around 630 and ended up with 2 nice steelhead. ripsticks 150 behind boards. one native, one clipped. what a beautiful evening.

We headed out about 5:30 last night; went out the Superior entry and up the line about 8 miles or so. Graphed a lot of fish in about 85' +/- of water. Ended up with a 25" Steelhead and a 13" Laker. Came in about 8:30; not the best fishing...but better than catching nothing at all. Sounds like everyone else is about the same...

Well, it was a beautiful morning, too calm I guess, but still... Decided to stay close to the south shore; 20-50 ft of water, 46-51 degrees. 1 salmon lost at boatside, looked like a small king.

Got out a bit Fishing the Captains Platter contest. Got 5 Lakers between 7# and 2#. Same general area as I said in my previous post.

Easter Egg Flashback was the hot spoon today. All 5 came on that sponn down 50 over 76" of water. Tried many many other spoons and sticks on the other rigger and couldnt get anything going there. Nothing on borads at all today wich is the 1st day the boards didnt produce at least 1 fish.

No salmon either.

Just moved about an hour from superior. Am really itchin to hit the lake lookin for eyes, but dont have a clue where to start. Anyone got some advice to share. not lookin for your secret spots. just some good pointers. Anything is appreciated.

The walleyes have been very very very hard to find and they arent in the usual spots. Well if they are they aint biting.

The south shore from the Superior entry to the Brule is where I hunt them mostly. 8-50' of water mostly as well. I wish the mud would clear out then we might have a chance at them seeing our baits better.

Park point can also be good from time to time.

Alot of that mud is coming from the dredging operations off the bay side of Park Point and the are dumping them on Park Point on the lake side crazy

Jar Jar

Yup I have seen that. Sounds like because of them making so much mud and dirtying up the wtaer they have been told to quit. That clay/silt mix has to be terrible for everything in the food chain and their habitat.

The hose goes from the dredge across park point and hangs out over the water. When they let that baby toss out the water, clay, silt mix you can forget about fishing within a couple miles of it.

Hello all

This is my first year fishing Lk Superior in a boat fished from shore and in the rivers for years. Have been haveing good success fishing for lake trout this year with a few Koho salmon mixed in. Here is a fish we caught this morning not the biggest of the year but still a nice laker. Ended up with @ lakers and 1 Salmon 3 hrs put in great morning to be out.

DSCF0718.jpg

Where did you find flat water like that on Sunday? we got out at 7 am and it was getting bumpy already.

Very nice fish.

Jar Jar

I was planning on heading up to Duluth to do a fishing charter some time next month. The question is, is July or August typically a better time to go up and catch a few salmon and lakers. Any thoughts would help.

The later in the season the less likely to catch a salmon. So at that time of year probably doesnt matter when you go. However that is the busiest time of year to catch an open charter becuase of the nice size Lakers that are usually caught so book NOW! I'd reccommend Whitewater Charters, but there are several other good captains in Duluth. Good luck.

Tried to fish the big lake last night but wound up with so much cottonwood bloom on our lines we had to cut half to get it all off. We must have had 16" of that junk on our boards. Only way to get fish in would be too hand line them in because once it got to your 1st eye there was no more reeling. frown

has anyone been having any luck on the Mn side yet, out around lester or the mquade?

I want to get out after work one of these days.

ive been going out of mc quade a little and have been getting a few lakers in the 75 fow area. not fast and furious but enough action to keep you interested.

I've found the McQuade area very slow. I've been sticking closer to the entry's with better luck as of late.

planned all week to hit the lake this weekend, until I saw the weather report this morning.

Some dandy lakers being caught out the cheesey side the past few days. 1 in the 30# class today. Also a few kings in the mix as well as a few elusive walleyes.

Flasher/spoon combo working on lakers and sticks in the top 15' for kings. Walleyes seem to be liking the deep running husky jerk-baits and reef runners.

went out and fished infront of the superior entry for 4 hours. pulled spoons on down riggers and dipsies. not a bite at all. 70-90 fow

Ya I had another friend out with 4 guys in the boat and they had a poorday too. Thats fishin.

We fished out on the WI side 7 miles down the line then east to 30/50 fow and picked up a couple lakers and smaller king before the fire works last night. All on sticks right on bottom. Probably only fished about an hour just wasting time before dark

fished out of McQuade landing on saturday and never got a fish in 6hrs. flat water and high presure made it a tough day.

started in 140-150 fow with 1/2 core and stick with reef runners 150 back and one rigger at 30 and one at 55. saw some fish way deep later on out at 225-250 fow but no takers. I should have brought the dodgers maybe. I never saw a single fish landed and talked to one guy that got one about 4 pounds.

I usually always get a few lakers and maybe a coho or a small king but the foruth was tough. sounds like the south shore did better.

When refering to the line, are you refering to the mn/wisc border line, or fishing parralel to shore?

I never learned the meaning of "the line"

thanks

When people refer to "the line" they are talking about the Minnesota/Wisconsin border water on the big lake. Most g.p.s. units will show the line. My Lowrance does. BC