• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Son is considering Air Force / Navy

Hillbiehle

so, being a cook is something to snub??? I spent my 1st 6 years of 30 in Food Service and found it quite rewarding and appreciated. One would think a career in the culinary arts could be quite lucrative. I don't care what speciality a person learns in the military it can easily be utilized in the civilain world. I won't ask why you got out with 16.

No I'm not bagging on cooks, (they are some of the best people to know) but if he had hoped for and were told he would be in something along the lines of Air traffic control and didnt get it in writing he could be in for a suprise. I will answer anyways...I got tired of deployments away from my family..and I wont ask you why you ditched being a cook if it was so great and if you are a cook now..

And if he is able to, try to get a little education under his belt before he signs up. I dont know about other services but the AF will start him a little higher in rank depending on the amount of credit hours he's completed. At lower ranks anything extra in the pay check is nice.

I left food service for duty as a TI at lackland. Did that for 3 years, cross trained into Law Enforcement, did another stint as a TI, then back into LE where I made master. Spent my last 11 years as a 1st Sgt, making Senior & Chief along the way. Did more then my share of TDYs, remotes, and deployments.

I spent 4 years in the army many years ago and love it. It great for someone who is single. I got out because I want to start a family. The milatary is vary hard on the family. I've seen so many family fall apart because it.But alot work too.

Way to go Chief. Then you should be well aware what can happen to military promises if not gotten in writting, especially after being a 1st shirt for so long. Did my first 5 on the Security side and LE for the remainder.

im thinking of joining the navy. my dad just retired a couple years ago after being in it for 23 years. he did electronic warfare. it was some of the coolest stuff ive ever seen. the military is a different lifestyle that takes some getting used to. im only 17 and having been around it my whole life ive learned the lifestyle and have a love for the navy. id like to do electronic warfare but i still have to take the asvab to see what i can do.

Skee, during my years as a TI I saw many trainees get out on the spot after thier 6th day of training. That was the day they had what was called "career counseling". If a slot was not availible for thier guaranteed job they could excercise that option or the choice another career field. It is imparative to get the job in writing or any other "promises". One thing I would point out though is I never heard of recruiters getting a commission for sign-ups. But, I've been retired now for 20 years. Things may have changed. Where were you stationed? I did a short stint at the SP Academy during the mid 70's

2 tours in Grand forks (back when it was still SAC), first Flightline, then Missle Field (ART/SRT), Shemya Island Alaska, Araxos Greece, Anderson Guam, Whiteman Missouri, with TDY's mixed in.

Skee....Offutt, Viet-Nam, Perrin, Ramstein, Incirlik, Lackland, Incirlik, Lackland, Reese, Ellsworth, Thule, Malmstrom, Ellsworth. With those TDY's you spoke of.

Ouch.. Turkey, Texas and South Dakota. It took me 6 years but I was able to get away from the Forks.

The Coast Guard is also a good branch to serve in. I think a guy would have a chance to serve in his own country instead of over seas.

I did 10 plus years in the Navy. Best darn thing that I ever did. My dad did 30 years in the Air Force and I had 2 uncles do 30 in the Air Force also. As stated numerous times in the above posts, take the ASVAB test and see what you qualify for. I ended up being a BT, which now is a MM. It was long hours and you were down in the hole at least 18 hours a day, but I wanted to do something that I could use on the outside. I have been a boiler operator now for the last 22 years, so I must of picked the correct job. BG when were you a DI and where at? Just remember to support what ever choice he makes. My oldest son is in the Army and deployed to Afganistan. He is on his way home for 2 weeks of R&R. WIll be nice to sit down and talk with him and see how it is going. We both have something in common, being involved with the conflicts over there.

Um, aren't you serving your contry no matter where you are in the world?

The way most vets look at it is as long as you served it's cool. Dosen't matter what branch or where you where stationed. If you did the time you did the time, and to the rest, well, there has to be someone to protect...

Now to those listing your bases hows this

Minot, Davis Mothan, Comiso Air Station Sicily (Ground Launched Cruise Missile), Minot, Rhiyad Saudi Arabia, Minot, Cairo Egypt and discharged from Minot. I tried so hard to leave that place the only way I could do it was to get out.

Minfishin....was Geroge Barret, Ron Cole or "bo" Bolaner there with ya at Comiso?

Maybe Ron Cole. Do you know what year these guys where there or what job they had?

I was there in 1989-1990 and my job was a vehicle mechanic. AFSC 47275.

The job was pretty tough but it had is bennies when you weren't in training, if you don't mind topless beaches anyways wink. Besides that, how many Air Force installations don't have aircraft?

Um, aren't you serving your contry no matter where you are in the world?
By golly you're right. Kinda the way it worked when I was in. grin

Does you son have feathers on his arms?? - Airforce

Can your son swim?? Navy

Sounds pretty simple to me. Either way all of us back home will be greatfull for his service. As well as thankfull for the fathers/mothers/sisters/brothers that support those in our military. Gods speed to him what ever he chooses,As well as a big thankyou from me!!