• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nest Lake Fishing Reports

i think its been from the high pressure ice fishing over the years we have a place on it and years ago you couldnt keep them off your line but if you email me i cloud give you some good spots to try where you have a better chance of getting them,last weekend we got some big pike 2 just over 10. lbs so there bitting good if you like slimmers where ya staing at??

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Are the mid summer weeds always bad on Nest? I fished it once last year and it was really tough finding an area that wasn't choked with weeds.

• 6 months later...

Was out on Nest Lake today/tonight and couldn't find too many fish. We fished right off the SW corner of the smaller island. Fished everywhere from 15 - 40 FOW. Caught one northern at about noon in about 37 FOW. Then we caught a few perch at 15 FOW. Not a fish after dark. I've heard of people catching crappies and walleyes on that lake this year. Has anyone fished it at all this year? Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

we have a place on nest and if you want some crappies go out to the 40 ft hole just east of the big island i'm sure there houses out there but you will be lucky to find one over 10 inches

fishing this weekend was poor

one group extremely familiar with lake siad out of 30 lines full dya 4 walleyes 2 bass and 1 pike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

fished it the last few mornings......been catching large panfish, but only one here one there, cant dial in on any pattern.....they just seem to be roaming, also catching and getting cut off by a lot off northern. been fishing anywhere from 8 to 14 ft. the fish are tight to the pond weed mat early and are working their way out as the sun gets higher. tried trolling for northerns, but had better luck drifting. suprisingly have not seen much for bass, just a few small largemouth and one nice smallie that never made it to the boat. starting to see suspended fish around the hole, dont know what they are as not been able to catch any of them smile

tried crappie minnows over the "deep" hole today...still no takers from the suspenders. was a fair amount of recreational traffic so essentially got chased to the shorelines. usually do not fish on saturdays and now i remember why. found crappies in about 9 ft.....most were nests lake's finest...7 to 9 inchers!

• 2 weeks later...

Any reports on Nest? I'll be up there this weekend at a friend's cabin. He's got the pike and largies dialed in pretty good, but can't figure out the smallies. Anyone have any general smallmouth tips for Nest? We haven't seen them in shallow at all so I would guess it's a deeper bite out by those islands.

never really target them on nest and the only time i have caught them they were mixed in with the gills in about 10 to 12 ft...roaming outside the weed edge. i could be wrong, hopefully someone else more in the know will chime in, but don't think there is a large population of them in the lake. what are you fishing in? i might iss of the mrs. and blow off a get together of her college freinds (dont know any of them) and head to the lake this weekend. the boat i use on nest is an old blue alum. with a small honda tiller....stop by and say hi!....if i see a dude fishing with a light saber i will do the same.

LOL pushbutton, you should see me filet fish with it.

Blue alum. boat with a honda tiller huh? I'll say hi if I see you. I'll be riding around in the Cadillac of pontoons. The thing has leather recliners in it.

We usually just troll around for pike and cast for bass a bit. Caught a couple nice northerns (33 & 34) last year.

My buddy that has a cabin on Nest said weedlines are harder to find since the lake Assoc. bought a couple weed harvesters to get rid of the curly leaf and have been harvesting everything.

I'll be riding around in the Cadillac of pontoons. The thing has leather recliners in it.

I'd love to go fishing with you. smile

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.