• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Official Packers Off-season Thread!!

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yeah, that's it..Finley dropped balls on purpose because it wasn't a contract year..... laugh

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CJH

• SkunkedAgain

• Scott K

• LABS4ME

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's it..Finley dropped balls on purpose because it wasn't a contract year..... laugh

I'm sure you know exactly what I meant. You're a smart man. Why not act it? crazy

I have my doubts that Finley could catch a ball if there was a $5M check taped to it.

#stonehands

Not sure having a couple top allstars on your team is a benefit, or not. It seems like it may be more of a drag on a team, then a benefit.

Yeah, I'd rather have Christian Ponder and Chad Greenway, said no one ever.

crazy

i think after losing Crabtree also they were forced to keep Finley or they would have really been slim at TE

I would have let him go at that price...plenty of top end talent in this years draft to replace him with.

Crossing my fingers that the rumors are true that Green Bay signs Rodgers to a contract that pays $25 million a year.

The TE position isn't thin, even after losing Crabtree and potentially if we lost Finley. There was still Quarless, Taylor, DJ Williams, and Bostick. Granted none of them have Finley's talent, but I certainly wouldn't call the cupboard bare. There's definitely some talent and potential

• 5 weeks later...

Quote:
Packers signed QB Aaron Rodgers to a five-year, $110 million extension through 2019.

The front-loaded deal pays Rodgers $40 million in the first season, which explains why GM Ted Thompson was so conservative with his 2013 cap. It's a savvy deal by Thompson, and we've come to expect nothing less. Rodgers is now under control through his age-35 season. Theoretically, he can hit free agency in 2020 at age 36. Because Rodgers had two relatively cheap years remaining on his old deal, the new contract is actually worth $130.75 million over seven seasons, for an annual average of $18.68 million; Joe Flacco received an annual average of $20.1 million. The Rodgers deal is widely being pumped up as the richest in NFL history, but in actuality it's very much not. Another steal by Thompson

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The Pack drafted a much needed piece...RB Eddie Lacy whom many had slated as the top RB in the draft.

Great Draft! Good DE, and two highly rated RB's! Mix in some OT's, and you have met the top three needs for the draft.

Wish the Pack could've gotten Ball instead of Lacy, I just think Ball woulda been a better fit in our offense. But getting Franklin in the 4th round is a steal, and should really make the running game relevant again.

I'm pumped for the season to start now!

As with anything, you can't expect many of these guys to step in and contribute immediately. Maybe one of the running backs will but everyone was super excited about Alex Green two years ago, and again last preseason. Now they draft two more.

I don't really see any high-impact players in Green Bay's draft class, but certainly some guys that could contribute later this season and into the future.

Datone Jones will have an immediate impact, he's going to fit perfect in our 3-4.

I wasn't nearly excited about Alex Green coming in as I am about Eddie Lacy, as long as he can stay healthy. He's a bruiser and can get those extra yards. Green is a one hit and he's down RB, have never been impressed with him. My 2c

As with anything, you can't expect many of these guys to step in and contribute immediately. Maybe one of the running backs will but everyone was super excited about Alex Green two years ago, and again last preseason. Now they draft two more.

Alex Green was rated no where near as high as Lacy or Franklin. In fact many people thought TT reached to get him, just like he did for Brandon Jackson. I was not excited about Jackson or Green, but Lacy could be a game changer for this offense if he can stay healthy. Teams wont' be able to keep two safeties deep against him, like they did all of last year. Plus he should be able to grind out yards/clock/first downs in the 4th quarter when they have the lead. Franklin is projected more as an explosive change of pace/3rd down back. Franklin should be great in the screen game as well.

I'm really likely the move of Bulaga and Sitton to the left side of the line. This really puts strength on strength in terms of matching the defense. I think that it also shows some confidence in Barclay to nail down the right side. If that's the case then this is an outstanding move that will be subtle to most outsiders.

Agreed. I actually wanted them to move Bulaga over last year. Kind of surprised they moved Sitton as well, however McCarthy alluded to the fact he thought Lang would be better on the right side. I think they are projecting Barclay as the starter, or they wouldn't have made this move this early.

Rogers has gotten hit too much, and some of that is on him holding the ball too long, but the line needs to play better. Newhouse was a turnstile, he's not a starting caliber LT.

• 2 weeks later...

We just lost Tretter for the season (likely) with a broken ankle and torn ligaments during OTAs. So it begins....

• 1 month later...

Ya ok...

Perry will start this year after missing most of last season and word is he's bigger, stronger and faster than last year...

D jones should be a stud and play this year.. Perry, Matthews and jones should Make a weak secondary look at least OK

Add in true running backs in Lacey and Franklin ( suppose to be better than Lacey) for our first chance at a running game in years

And still the best QB in the NFL with one of the best WR corps in the pros...

Yep no Improvements, whistle though it's hard to make huge strides when you are at the top of a division vs. teams at the bottom or middle. Those teams always look to make great strides as they need so much to be truly competitive.

Good luck!

Ken

I just don't see the running game improving all that much. Every year it seems the Pack has "the answer" to their weak running game, and every year its terrible and Rodgers throws about 60 times a game. The big key to the Packers will once again be their offensive line and it it has improved in the run blocking game. If they don't block, no RB will be able to run against NFL defenses. My thoughts are the Packers once again go as far as Rodgers arm will take them.

Pretty spot on MUSKY18 about the o-line.

But they have a lot more talent in the running game this year than they have had in a lonnnnnnng time. So I see there running game being a lot better. Oline makes a lot of the reason for a back to be good, but #1 is how much talent and vision they have. Lot of backs have been good with sub-par olines...

on the other hand if Rodgers goes down...we're done.

Quote:
I just don't see the running game improving all that much. Every year it seems the Pack has "the answer" to their weak running game, and every year its terrible and Rodgers throws about 60 times a game

These are the 1st two RBs in recent memory that the Packers have drafted that you can say have better than average talent... it is the first time in over a decade that they had two backs on the squad with at the same time with better than average talent. I know it is a huge jump from college to the pros, but I'm hoping one or both can make the transition.

I don't think the Pack are looking to become a running team, ala the Vikes. I think at best they need a viable back who can get them at least 1000 yards a season. Much the same as Levens and Bennett in the Farve era. It keeps the defense honest as they do have to account for the run and keeps a little pressure off the QB. It can also open up new plays with screens and safety valve options...

I'm excited to to see a more balanced approach to the offense....

Good Luck!

Ken

The Packers were built to be a passing team...their running game will mirror much of what we've seen in the last 5 years.

The Packers were built to be a passing team...their running game will mirror much of what we've seen in the last 5 years.

I kinda agree with this, since they will stay a pass orientated team, but the new RB they have, will only make their passing game that much more dangerous, because now they have a RB that can break loose, and you will have to keep their running game honest, unlike before.

Kinda opposite of the Vikings, we had the running game thing mastered, but our passing game sucked, now with the new additions this year, we will still be a running team, but teams will need to watch our passing game a little better now, which should open up Peterson for a few more long yardage runs, with less carries per game.

Oline makes a lot of the reason for a back to be good, but #1 is how much talent and vision they have. Lot of backs have been good with sub-par olines...
There are far more mediocre running backs that have produced well behind good lines than the Barry Sanders types that have succeeded behind mediocre lines.

Green Bay's offensive line has been atrocious for years. They can't run block for anyone and Finley is too Randy Moss-ish, blocking when he wants to block. I'd like to say that our O-line is better at pass protection but you can't say that either. We are consistently in contention for giving up the most sacks, and despite Rodgers holding onto the ball a little long, Rodgers' play has prevented more sacks than it has caused.

I'm hopeful for the new RBs we drafted, but talent doesn't mean a thing to me as they come out of the draft. We need to see production at the pro level to truly assess talent.

• 2 weeks later...

packers need to get a practice team guy to run the read option.

Capers needs to get with the program or the packers will be one and done again.

My prediction is 49ers and Broncos in Super Bowl with 49ers winning.