• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog food

portageman

I'm feeding our 4 month old lab Nutro Max Puppy. she loves it and is looking good. she does not seem to be growing too fast but is getting very muscular it seems like. the vet says she is looking great and i feel the same. good stuff for about a buck a pound

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuleShack

• Leaddog

• kentuck_ike

• portageman

My one year old lab started out with a few bags of science diet, then i saw the bad print. I switched her over to pro plan. I think the toots got a little better. She has always had a soft shinny coat. But now it is unbelievable how shinny she is. Never seen a lab shine like this. Turds are little and hard, for easy clean up. Now i think i might try to find a vitamin suppliment (if needed not sure) and it is hunting time.

So this may sound crazy to everyone who has done scientific research with your dogs health in mind but, what I have heard is that if you put a little bit of cottage cheese in with your dogs dry food it will cure the shedding and dandruff issue.. well we did do such a thing we mixed about 2 tablespoons with our golden retreiver/ yellow labs Dry Eukanuba and after about 2 months we noticed a huge difference in coat with no shedding and no dandruff. Just a thought let me know what you think....

I have a 5 year old Vizsla that is a picky eater. My breeder suggested i feed him a food with high protein and zero grains. I started him out as a pup on Solid Gold. I switched him over Orijen when it came out. He loved Orijen. I didn't like the price of orijen so the last bag a bought was Taste of the wild. Can't get my dog to eat the stuff. Looks like I'll switch back to Solid Gold.

Has anyone tried the food called "chicken soup"?

Are you refering to the brand "Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul" or something like that?

I looked at it at Chuck and Don's just out of curiosity and the ingredient list looked pretty good. Initially I thought it was a little cheesy and was skeptical but it looked to be good quality, however I still ended up with Nutri Source.

Originally Posted By: DuckDog
Has anyone tried the food called "chicken soup"?

Are you refering to the brand "Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul" or something like that?

I looked at it at Chuck and Don's just out of curiosity and the ingredient list looked pretty good. Initially I thought it was a little cheesy and was skeptical but it looked to be good quality, however I still ended up with Nutri Source.

Yea that is the stuff - it seemed to be a little less expensive so I am transitioning to it now. So far she seems to be doing very well with it.

Have anyone of you heard of the preservative "Ethoxyquin"? If your dog food contains "fish meal" (many do) it may very well contain this Ethoxyquin. Google for it in dog food and judge for yourself if you would feed this to your dog. I choose not to. Just lost my five year old Springer to cancer last June, so I am really looking at what I am feeding my new Springer pup. Also if you haven't heard of the web site "Dog Food Analysis", Google for that too. There is quite a bit of information there also. I am feeding my pup Innova. A 30 pound bag delivered to my front door including tax $53. Just my two cents.

Trashguy,

What kind of Innova do you feed your dog? Is it the EVO stuff? I looked at that last night and it was like $60 a bag. Also do they guarantee it is "Ethoxyquin free"? Didn't see that on the bag and it had herring meal in it. Also where do you get it delivered for $53 to the front door from? Any info would be great!

Thanks

catnipmn,

Well the name of the company that makes Innova is Natura and they make the EVO also. Innova is not grain free, as is the EVO. Plus EVO is a little more money. I wrote many companies about their use of Ethoxyqin. Natura guaranteed they did not. Many of the companies danced around the question, saying they did not add it, but in fact their fish meal supplier probably did. I don't think I can post a link as where I am getting my dog food delivered form here on this site, so you can just email me and I will give you the website link. [email protected] Larry