• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Air Rifles

I wasn't thinking about people or using it "bad", but if I can't use a bb gun in the city on squirrels, but I can use paintball gun and not get in trouble, I might just smack a few squirrels (not to kill them, but to give them a fright to stay out of my stuff)... or just to thwack a few targets out back while wasting time.

I just thought it would be same as firing bb gun at empty cans... maybe not though. I do know a retired WBL cop, maybe I should give him a shout... though it really doesn't matter muc to me, as I prolly would not dump the bucks just to tag a stupid squirrel wink

• 8 years later...

Can anyone recommend a place nearby the Metro Area where a person can take their air rifle to sight in the scope since you cannot shoot them in city limits.  Plus, probably not smart to just pull up to a random field to sight in, either.  Thanks!!

• 9 months later...

New here, first post!

I recently moved from a small town out to a rural area.  There's a lot of striped gophers out here!  Naturally, I went right out and bought a .22 break barrel pellet gun, .17 pump and BB CO2 pistol.  Now, I'm shooting like 45-75 yards, so I'm around 1/100 on hit/shot ratio.  That's ok though.  I don't want to kill them all, or my sport would be over!  Anyway,,, I'm very interested in airguns, and already have my sights on a break barrel .30 rifle!  I do hunt deer less seriously, but plan to continue using my 20 gauge for that.  My wondering (and I haven't officially looked up the regs), is whether I can go off my land and legally take small game?  I would of course have a small game license should I do it.  I just want to be sure it is legal.  Don't worry, my .22 is certainly able to kill small game, and the .30 would, I assume...  I have no real interest in PCP, despite the larger calibers sounding pretty sweet!  I'd LOVE to start a little airgun only club (in Chisago County) and do little gatherings, moreso for camaraderie.  If anyone is interested, let me know.  Looking forward to a fun airgun future, and maaaybe taking a rabbit?

Cheers,

Josh

Edited by joshismycaptain
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Whell, I assume this thread is probably dead.  I bought my small game license tonight and am taking my .22 out in the woods by our cabin tomorrow.  Hoping to find some squirrels and maybe a rabbit if I'm lucky.  Not even sure quite what yardage I'm sighted for, but we'll see what happens!

Josh

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
48 minutes ago, joshismycaptain said:

Whell, I assume this thread is probably dead.  I bought my small game license tonight and am taking my .22 out in the woods by our cabin tomorrow.  Hoping to find some squirrels and maybe a rabbit if I'm lucky.  Not even sure quite what yardage I'm sighted for, but we'll see what happens!

Josh

Nothing like living up a thread then posting some pictures how you did.  Good luck.  ?

• 1 year later...

Idk what the laws are in Minnesota but I've always used a daisy Powerline 880 with .177 pellets to hunt squirrel in Texas and I always got them down in one shot if you can't get a head shot or a spinal shot then you shouldn't even shoot it to begin with. I was also homeless and there were no rivers anywhere near for fish so at the time do to circumstances the police didn't even bother me because it was my only source of food. Now whether or not you can legally shoot a squirrel with a Daisy Powerline 880 un Minnesota from like 100-200 feet away with decent cheap scope is beyond me. Personally I prefer sights but it doesn't matter. Either way I'd like to know cause I do wanna go hunting again.

Edited by Ballistika
  • I Like it 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to FM @Ballistika.

Hopefully someone will help you out.

You have an interesting story. Do you care to share more?

There are some small public land pieces that allow small game hunting around. I would start on those as the bigger ones get a lot of attention. I use to hunt squirrels with my pellet gun all the time, but I stopped for some reason. This made me think about it again. You may want to check out farms as they may let you hunt squirrels there.

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thanks 1

I have had a pile of squirrels in my back yard. They become destructive little pests by chewing the screens off the windows. House is only 3 years old. We have had up to 7 black squirrels (technically a gray).

I have a Gamo air rifle that shoots 1300 FPS with the PBA ammo but it's a springer rifle so the reverse recoil makes it difficult to keep a scope sighted in. The rifle I'd really like to have is the Daystate Red Wolf. But at $2200, it just might not happen. One of the nicest looking rifles out there, of any kind.

• Thanks 1

Last fall I decided to give the squirrels in the yard a break. The pile from the last 10 years would be very very tall lol. Yesterday I had the spectrum guy out cuz my tv would not run guide or menu or dvd upstairs. He checked everything inside and all was good. Check outside and the squirrels chewed a few spot on cable and water got into the dang thing. Thx a lot squirrels!  The war is back on as soon as I can lift my big cat by gamo. Beeman crow magnum pellet pairs perfect. I tapped in a small screw behind the front mount for the BSA pellet rifle scope and it holds it in place. BSA 4x32AO rifle scope

0EDB332A-BE36-46D6-BC2E-98D1297DEDF4.jpeg

A8528229-5D37-4968-8ED1-48D7628B13AB.jpeg

Edited by eyeguy 54
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I was wondering when you were going to jump on this Royce! aren't you a professional squirrel killer ? Get that launcher set up and let them fly ?

• Yayyyy 3

I could have made you a squirrel hat 500 feet long. Lol

• Yayyyy 2

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

That might go well with my Coyote hat aka Yukon Jack ? save the pelts ?

Saved 50 tails to send to mepps one time. Ended up chucking them. Skin one sometime from between the hind legs. Makes a nice puppet. Lol

• Yayyyy 1