• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wondering what the ice is like on south center. Looking to get out in next few days maybe target a few walleyes. Can you Drive out yet?? and anyone catching any?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deitz Dittrich

• JBMasterAngler

• LwnmwnMan2

• NCLaker

I heard from a nephew that crappies are hitting ok there. He also mentioned that trucks were already driving on there.

I was supposed to go this past weekend, but got busy.

Maybe this coming weekend.

Good luck.

I was out there last Wednesday and no one was driving vehicles out yet but we have had some cold temps to build more ice so maybe so now. The ice was around 10 inches on the north side. I tried to access the lake at the south west access and got stuck with my truck (all wheel drive). It has not been plowed at all so unless it has been plowed or you have 4x4, you will want to find a different way on the lake. I am not local to the area so I didn't know how to get on the lake otherwise.

I was out there for most of the day moving around and found a few crappies but they were all less then 9" so they went back in to live another day.

Are people driving out there? Ice thickness and is it pretty consistant? Wanna take my little girl out with the truck. Thanks.

If you just want to get your kid out to catch a few fish, go to Forest. I drove my 1500 out with no problems. Caught tons of crappies. Size wasn't much, but action was consistent until about 5:30.

I was out there fri afternoon and drive my tahoe out. Looked for fish around sunset point and didn't find any. Ended up setting up in the hole accross from Hazelton. Caught about 50 8.5" crappies so kept zero but would be a good spot for kids.

I was out yesterday and there are trucks driving all over. There is a good 14-16" of ice. I wanna say a big thanks to Bob and co. My auger flooded out and he saw me struggling to start it across the lake. He drove his car over with his auger and let me use it to pop a few holes. I ended up fishing close to their shack and he also gave me a cold one. It would have been a bummer of a day if he wasn't so "Minnesota Nice". Great to see there are still a few good guys around to help you out in a pinch.

Thanks again guys!

I was out there fri afternoon and drive my tahoe out. Looked for fish around sunset point and didn't find any. Ended up setting up in the hole accross from Hazelton. Caught about 50 8.5" crappies so kept zero but would be a good spot for kids.

That's where I'll probably take my 4yr old. Sounds like a spot to catch some. We were out at a western metro lake and just caught a few small perchs and a couple of 9" crappies. What time of the day would you say the fish is most active?

We got there at about 3:30 and got into em right away and they bit the whole time unil we left at 7:30. They were suspended about 15' up in 24' of water. Again, no keepers just a fun time for the kids.

Which launch are people driving out of onto the lake? I saw some people going out of that one motel (I forgot the name of it) off of the main highway accross from the bank. Is that free or do you have to pay?

We got there at about 3:30 and got into em right away and they bit the whole time unil we left at 7:30. They were suspended about 15' up in 24' of water. Again, no keepers just a fun time for the kids.

Sounds good. My kid was bored. She wanted more action, so better luck next time.

I really hope we get the action u guys did.

ITs free.. I went out from the boat access. The parking lot of the boat access is horrible bumpy, but it can be done, the ramp is icy enough that you may need 4WD to get back up.

Nagorski.

I forgot to ask you, what were you using? Minnow's, waxies? jigs?

Thanks.

I am pretty sure I know the area he fished.. I really dont think the meat is an issue.. whatever you have will work. I wouldnt use large minnows.. as a lot of the fish can be small. You may run into a keeper every so often. Eurolarve are easy and last, its what I use and it works.

will probably use small minnows or waxies. can u actually see the hazelton bldg from the fishing area?

We used eurolarve and small jigs. Got nothing on a bobber and minnow or a jig and minnow. Yes you can see Hazelton as you look between the other fish houses. Good luck

I was there Saturday night and crappies were hitting pretty good. Caught between 30-40 crappies in 2.5 hours around 8-9 inches with the biggest a little over 9.5 inches. I was fishing in 33-35 FOW with fish suspended round 8-14 FOW. It was fun but no keepers.

Any problems hauling a permanent around the lake with a Tahoe? Would we run into any problems getting it back up the landing?

I'm going out here tomorrow morning for some eyes. We'll see how it goes. I'm open to any tips anyone has. I'll report back tomorrow.

Well im back and didn't do to well for the walleye. Ended up with a couple crappie at the end. Wish i didnt have to work cuz when i found them they were biting at 11AM just as good as they would at daybreak. But I'll be back again tomorrow lookin for the eye's. And Dave Getting a permanent out there with a Tahoe would be fine. I made it out there in 5spd little nissan Versa. And also made it up the landing. Though it is a little steep.

Does anyone know why there are orange cones put on the lake? This would be on the north east side of the lake.

Designated Snowmobile trail.

OK. That's good to know. I was gonna go to the east side of the lake but saw those orange cones, and thought it was probably thin ice or so.....and decided not to cross that line.

• 3 weeks later...

Has any one been out on Center Lake lately? South or North. I was planning on going out there Friday night and Saturday. I was curious about the driving conditions on the lake. I do not know this lake at all so that's why I was asking.

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna take the wife and kids out sometime this coming week. Has the bite slowed down? Has anyone notice the size of crappies getting bigger?

The wife and I were out last night and the fishing was slow. Fishing 22 FOW. Caught a couple dozen but only kept a few for a meal. As far as size goes they are running small. If I could offer one tip that we found, fish 'em high off the bottom. Most of our crappies came 8-10 feet down. I've been fishing my second rod 4 feet down (yes, two feet under the ice) and have caught quite a few this way. I'll be out again this evening and if I do well I will post again. Good luck.