• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Joe Mauer a lot of little problems

Dahitman44

Plus, if we traded him, he wouldnt have bunted that one time! That one plate appearance is sooo much more important than what he is doing now. another couple of hits at least tonite....

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• jwmiller33

• Coach1310

• harvey lee

boy i really wish we werent spending 12 million on mauer this season... over the last 12 games he is batting a measly .543 with 2 HRs and 19 RBIs... i sure wish we had that money still, then we could sign other guys and have buterra catching all the games.

besides, who needs a catcher that contends for the batting title year in and year out? [insert sarcasm]

Very easy to state when Joe is playing well. I like Joe and its very easy to state what you do after Joe has been on fire for a few week.

Very easy to state when Joe is playing well. I like Joe and its very easy to state what you do after Joe has been on fire for a few week.

Yeah, but it is pretty justifiable since Joe has "played well" basically his whole career. The folks who were on him early were complaining about a guy hitting around .300!!

I agree Joe is hitting great and I am real happy about that as the Twins need it. If the Twins are going to make the play offs, Joe is a huge part of that.

He should be hitting well for all the rest he has had.

Many simply wonder why he has missed so many games at the catcher position.

Yeah, but it is pretty justifiable since Joe has "played well" basically his whole career. The folks who were on him early were complaining about a guy hitting around .300!!

He better hit .300 if he is going to be making 23 mil for the next 8 years! A.J. Pierzynski is a career .282 batter who makes 6 mil. Looks to me like he needs to do something 4 times better than that to earn his checks next year.

He better hit .300 if he is going to be making 23 mil for the next 8 years! A.J. Pierzynski is a career .282 batter who makes 6 mil. Looks to me like he needs to do something 4 times better than that to earn his checks next year.

Did somebody just try to compare AJ to Joe? HAHAHA! Dude, put down the pipe.... I don't think AJ has ever had a year in his career that could ever draw a comparison.

AJ is batting .231 this year which is 51 points below his career avg and Joe is batting 327 which just happens to be his career average.. And his avg has been climbing since the All Star break

AJ was a career .301 hitter making less than $400,000 when he left the Twins but because he wasn't "from here" no one cared when he left.

AJ was a career .301 hitter making less than $400,000 when he left the Twins but because he wasn't "from here" no one cared when he left.

no one cared because most people knew he was never the caliber of player that even remotely had the potential to win a batting title let alone an MVP.

cant say he is to great in the "DRAMA" department either

Many in baseball would agree that Joe is an impact player that they would love to build a team around. There is not one person in baseball that would have ever thought that about AJ,except for AJ himself

no one cared because most people knew he was never the caliber of player that even remotely had the potential to win a batting title let alone an MVP.

But where have these "individual" awards gotten the team? Maybe you could take this large paycheck and spread it out amoung a couple of very good playes instead of giving it all to a catcher that won't play as many games as another player because of the nature of his position.

If you use games played as your logic for salary must mean you also believe that pavano is grossly overpaid too. After all he sits out 4 of every 5 games.

But where have these "individual" awards gotten the team? Maybe you could take this large paycheck and spread it out amoung a couple of very good playes instead of giving it all to a catcher that won't play as many games as another player because of the nature of his position.

You are fooling yourself if you think that next year they would spend 23 million on other players if they weren't paying Joe..... His VALUE as a business ASSET far exceeds what value a few guys making 5 million a season would....

You need to start changing your argument to "The Twins put too many eggs in one basket by paying Joe" and not "Joe is not worth his 23 million he will be getting paid in years to come..."

If you use games played as your logic for salary must mean you also believe that pavano is grossly overpaid too. After all he sits out 4 of every 5 games.

No, because he is a pitcher. I compare pitchers to other pitchers and offensive stars to other offensive stars.

His VALUE as a business ASSET far exceeds what value a few guys making 5 million a season would....

When you watch a sports team play games, is it your goal that the team make lots of money or win games and championships? Which is more personaly rewarding and exciting to you?

When you watch a sports team play games, is it your goal that the team make lots of money or win games and championships? Which is more personaly rewarding and exciting to you?

I want the team to make money so they can put a competetive team on the field. If they win a championship that's great,but for me it's about enjoying the 162 games,not being upset if they don't win the whole thing.

Personaly rewarding? I get personal rewards when I do something,not from a sports team.

My goal really doesn't matter. I'm a life long Minnesotan and Twins fan for life regardless. You have to deal with what the team gives you. The team in baseball that makes the most money is the Yankees... by making that money it allows them to have the highest payroll and the best chance year in and year out to compete for a championship. The better the Twins do as a business, hopefully the better teams they are able to field. I think they go hand in hand.... but like I said, what I like really doesn't matter.

Your issue isn't with Mauer, it is with the Twins.... If the your boss approached you with an offer to make DOUBLE what you are currently making, would you sign on the dotted line??? Absolutely.... that is all Mauer did. His employer saw him as that valuable an asset to compensate him as such. Would folks you work with think the company is making a mistake? Sure, but it isn't your fault, it is theirs. If you have an issue, it should be with the Twins, not with Joe.

Big Dave just has a bone to pick with Mauer and the Twins, and it's apparent that regardless of what is said on here, nothing will change his views. I think we all know he is a Sux fan at heart... No true Twins fan would express this much hate and detest for the organization and one of our best players.

Once again, talking about Joe's value. I know Big Dave is going to dismiss this because it is not a simple stat like batting average or HR totals, but using advanced baseball statistics (SABRmetrics) is a great way to display the true derived VALUE of a baseball player's [Mauer's] abilities.

Fan Graphs is:

Quote:
FanGraphs.com is a website that provides statistics for every player in Major League Baseball history.

All major league baseball data on the website, including pitch type, velocity, batted ball location, and play-by-play data, are provided by Baseball Info Solutions. All Win Expectancy, Leverage Index, and Run Expectancy data are licensed from InsideTheBook.com. All UZR (ultimate zone rating) calculations are provided by Mitchel Lichtman.

They have a feature that ultimately uses advanced baseball statistics for each player, and gives a value in DOLLARS that a given player was worth for each season. Here is Mauer's breakdown over the course of his career:

full-27725-357-screenshot2010_08_12at7.5

this chart shows us Mauer's performance in 2009 was at a value of $36 million dollars! For 3 of the past 4 years, his value has roughly been at or exceeded what he is going to be making in his new contract......

The numbers speak for themselves Dave... Now how are you going to dismiss these facts? Because some of their computations are a little too advanced for you?

You know, there are many more statistics out there that do a much better job at showing a player's true ability than batting average and HR totals. I'm talking about the one that the average baseball fan can't find online in 30 seconds

Well, I'm done with this subject becouse you guys with your mancrushes just don't get it.

I have already stated that I have no problem with Joe Mauer signing the contract, and the Twins were forced to make the offer because of so many fans having the same mancrush as you guys on a guy that is from your home state.

I'm just trying to make you guys realize that in the next 8 years don't count on ever watching your favorite team win anything meaningful.

Well, I'm done with this subject becouse you guys with your mancrushes just don't get it.

I have already stated that I have no problem with Joe Mauer signing the contract, and the Twins were forced to make the offer because of so many fans having the same mancrush as you guys on a guy that is from your home state.

I'm just trying to make you guys realize that in the next 8 years don't count on ever watching your favorite team win anything meaningful.

I'll have to cut this and put it away so I can paste it I am thinking several times in the next 8 years.

depends on what you would call meaningful. unless the AL central suddenly becomes a much tougher division, this team should contend for the division title at least a few of the next eight years. and if they don't make it to the world series, that would be no different than the last almost 20 years.

Dave,

These guys can set the bar as high as they want but as long as a few teams have the kind of money to get the top players the Twins and their fans should be satisfied with winning a division and maybe a few games in the playoffs.There a number of teams that wished they had the kind of years the Twins have had the last couple of years. Nothing wrong about setting the bar high but temper it with a bit of reality. Money still wins championships.

I'll have to cut this and put it away so I can paste it I am thinking several times in the next 8 years.

I certainly hope that you are able to do just that! I will take it like a man if you do. I just don't see how................

Don't get me wrong. I really want the team to do more than just make playoffs and get beat first round of playoffs like what has been happening recently. But contending for and winning division titles still can be classified as meaningful in my book. and as I stated previously no world series titles in the next 8 years would be no different than the past nearly 20 years so hard to say that's mauers fault.

Dave,

These guys can set the bar as high as they want but as long as a few teams have the kind of money to get the top players the Twins and their fans should be satisfied with winning a division and maybe a few games in the playoffs.There a number of teams that wished they had the kind of years the Twins have had the last couple of years. Nothing wrong about setting the bar high but temper it with a bit of reality. Money still wins championships.

I don't necessarily agree with this logic. I witnessed it in '87 and '91. The Twins didn't need a 23 million dollar catcher even. The best players were position players who played most every day so you get the most bang for the buck. Those teams were more traditional teams with a great 1st baseman, 3rd baseman, outfielders and the weakest offensive links were catcher and shortstop just like it should be.

Yep I agree, divsion titles are meaninful also. Especially when you have two teams in the division with bigger markets and bigger payrolls.