• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Joe Mauer a lot of little problems

Dahitman44

sorry I have not read all the posts, but come on!, he is going through a slump, that all players have. he will hit the cover off the baseball the remainder of the season.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• jwmiller33

• Coach1310

• harvey lee

Here's my Joe Mauer story.....

.....it's his first year up, early in the season and my wife is a very casual fan. She might remember the hoopla surrounding him coming into the majors, maybe, just maybe. We're watching a game casually while eating dinner at the ol' coffee table. Joe takes a big whiff at a pitch and my wife yells out "Oh My!!! Did you see that!!!!" Scared the bejeezus out of me, I'm just about to say what is wrong with you??? When she says "That swing.......it was.....perfect." I'll I could do was smile. smile

The dude is 100% pure talent, at anything athletic he does.

Dissing Joe Mauer? Really?

so according to Dave, he would rather have a guy on his team go 4-4 every night with 4 singles rather than a guy who goes 2-4 with 2 homers. sweet

When did I say that? I don't even understand where that came from.

first you talk about how the pure number of hits is most important. then i bring up mauers batting champs and then you fault the relevancy of those hits, saying someone like a rod who hits for power is better overall because his hits are "producing" more than mauer's hits. then you go ahead and change again and dismiss your previous argument and go back to saying its the number of hits that matters... make up your mind!

Are you even reading what I am typing? That's not what I mean when I talk about production, I am talking about over all numbers. Batting average is great but it is just that, an average. Averages can be skewed, over all numbers can not.

All I am trying to get at is that the Twins will be paying Mauer a lot of money to play 15-20 games less than most other super stars making that money. Joe is a great player I don't deny that but put him at third base so he can play more games and get maximum value from him.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was all Joe Mauer's doing when the pitchers have a good night on the mound? I keep hearing about how he is so good handling pitchers and calling games but since he has not been catching, Lariano, Baker and now Slowey have all thrown gems with Butera behind the plate.

Maybe mauer is less johnny bench, and more edgar martinez. Can anyone say career DH?

Maybe we can negotiate to take a few million off his contract if that's the case wink

Maybe mauer is less johnny bench, and more edgar martinez. Can anyone say career DH?

Maybe we can negotiate to take a few million off his contract if that's the case wink

I'd like to see if he could play 3rd base. Then if he could get his power numbers back up to at least where they were last year he might be worth his salary he will be paid next year.

If it takes the Golden Boy the rest of the season to heal, oh well. Butera has been throwing out the runners maybe better than Joe.

He is doing a good job catching and his bat hopefully could get better.

Joe can be a very expensive DH.

The dude seems to be injured every season. Catcher or not, he seems to be on the injury list way to much for a youg player.

The other factor here, is he is handled with kid gloves everyday. Anything the Twins can do to keep him in uniform, they will do. If that means he takes a week off from catching every couple of months, they will do that. Joe will be a great hitter in MLB for many years and they won't risk losing that if it means he sits often for nagging nicks...

The other factor here, is he is handled with kid gloves everyday. Anything the Twins can do to keep him in uniform, they will do. If that means he takes a week off from catching every couple of months, they will do that. Joe will be a great hitter in MLB for many years and they won't risk losing that if it means he sits often for nagging nicks...

But my point is, what good does it do to pay a guy that kind of money if he has to ride the pine that often? He does a team no good sitting on the bench and who wants to go pay the ticket prices to watch a Twins game when there is a good chance on any given day the star player will be sitting on the bench?

Players don't seem to play through "nagging" injuries anymore...I wish they would. It's a team decision or philosophy now, much like the pitch count...either way, I think they coddle their players way too much these days.

Mauer has been very healthy, I dont understand where this is coming from. Look up the numbers and see where he ranks in terms of games played since he came into the league.

But my point is, what good does it do to pay a guy that kind of money if he has to ride the pine that often? He does a team no good sitting on the bench and who wants to go pay the ticket prices to watch a Twins game when there is a good chance on any given day the star player will be sitting on the bench?

Like I have said MANY time before Dave... you gotta let this go...even a little... If the guy can win 3 batting titles AND the MVP from the most taxing and defensive position in baseball I'm not sure how you can justify NOT paying him!!! Even if they only paid him 50% for what he does on the field, the other 50% is made up for in marketing, ticket sales, jersey sales, promotions, etc..... If you look at Mauer as strictly a business asset he is worth EVERY PENNY and probably a LOT MORE!

Like I have said MANY time before Dave... you gotta let this go...!

If I "gotta let this go" then you gotta let your MAN CRUSH for Joe Mauer go!

Mauer has been very healthy, I dont understand where this is coming from. Look up the numbers and see where he ranks in terms of games played since he came into the league.

Are you comparing Mauer to other catchers or other players with a contract like his?

You are probably right on if comparing him to other catchers only but if comparing him to other star offensive players it not very close. Mauer has only played in as many as 146 games in a season and only 135 of those games were games he started. Even fewer of those were games that he caught in as he sometimes DHes on his day off. There are other players who play 160-162 games per season and start almost all of them.

Like I have said MANY time before Dave... you gotta let this go...even a little... If the guy can win 3 batting titles AND the MVP from the most taxing and defensive position in baseball I'm not sure how you can justify NOT paying him!!! Even if they only paid him 50% for what he does on the field, the other 50% is made up for in marketing, ticket sales, jersey sales, promotions, etc..... If you look at Mauer as strictly a business asset he is worth EVERY PENNY and probably a LOT MORE!

for once in my life, i completely agree with everything Coach said grin ... Dave, for some reason you just don't seem to understand Joe Mauer's value. It is kind of funny to me.

I bet if Mauer wouldn't have signed that contract that was offered to him, you would be hating on him for bailing out on his hometown team and pulling a Lebron. Once someone like Mauers gets of his status, he is always doing something wrong in someones eyes.

only a twins fan would start complaining about having a catcher batting .317/.391/.470 with 60 RBI's and having an "off year"... not to mention he has been playing injured a bunch, as his position is very taxing on the body, yet he plays thru it and puts up just as good as numbers as anybody. i can tell you what, if the game is on the line and we need a hit for a win, i want Joe Mauer taking that at bat every day of the week, even with how Delmon is playing lately.

If I "gotta let this go" then you gotta let your MAN CRUSH for Joe Mauer go!

It has nothing to do with a man crush. Like I explained, it is simply a business decision and Mauer is the most valuable asset the Twins have and probably ever will have. It has nothing to do with man crush.... strictly business, but it's pretty apparent you don't understand that and probably never will, even if he wins 3 more batting titles and another MVP....

strictly business, but it's pretty apparent you don't understand that and probably never will, even if he wins 3 more batting titles and another MVP....

...or another silver slugger award or a couple more gold gloves.. or another 5 all star appearances... i dont understand why you wouldnt want the best player at a position in all of baseball on your team... or one of the best hitters in the game. and its not like they were spending YOUR money in his contract... its the twins revenue and im sure the twins higher ups and GM know how to manage their money much better than you do. if you use the argument "then they wont have as much money to spend on other players", that is wrooong.. Its important to note the Twins aggregate player payroll has been around the 70 mil range the last few years. Moving to target field has allowed them to push the payroll around 100 mil in 2010 and presumably the near future, in which case the 23 million devoted to Mauer each year will still leave more money to be spent than they had in any other previous season...

Dave, you always make comparisons of Joe to other great hitters in the game and say Joe is somehow inferior. Mauers deal is nearly identicle to the deal Yankees Teixeira signed last offseason at 180 million for 8 yrs. Teixeira signed that deal as a 29 year old 1B and .290/.378/.541 career hitter with an adjusted OPS+ of 134. Mauer is a 27-year-old catcher and .327/.408/.483 career hitter with an adjusted OPS+ of 136. Mauer is two years younger with superior defensive value and every bit as strong offensively even before factoring in the huge hitting disparity between first basemen and catchers (showing his value even if a position change is needed down the line).

but it's pretty apparent you don't understand that and probably never will, even if he wins 3 more batting titles and another MVP....

How about if he wins a world series title and then you can get back to me.

It will never happen here as long as Mauer is on this team. Its called "putting your eggs all in one basket". You can't do that when you are a small market team with a low payroll. It is rediculous to pay 2 or 3 good players worth of salery to one guy who plays 20-30 less games than any other everyday starter.

You can't do that when you are a small market team with a low payroll.

there are only 9 teams in MLB that have a payroll this year thats over 100 million, and the twins are one of them. i'd hardly call that a low payroll. interesting note, the AL central has 3 of those 9 teams.

How about if he wins a world series title and then you can get back to me.

So does he have to win it by himself or can he win it as part of the Twins... last time I checked, individual players can't win World Series titles, but TEAMS can...

Is it outrageous that someone can make 23 million playing baseball????? Sure.... but we are ALL worth what someone is willing to pay us and in Mauer's case that is soon to be 23 million per year...

So does he have to win it by himself or can he win it as part of the Twins... last time I checked, individual players can't win World Series titles, but TEAMS can...

Is it outrageous that someone can make 23 million playing baseball????? Sure.... but we are ALL worth what someone is willing to pay us and in Mauer's case that is soon to be 23 million per year...

i couldn't have said it better myself

there are only 9 teams in MLB that have a payroll this year thats over 100 million, and the twins are one of them. i'd hardly call that a low payroll. interesting note, the AL central has 3 of those 9 teams.

How many of them have a catcher who plays 20 -30 lesss games than other star players as their highest paid player?

Big Dave: Joe, 4 for 5 today, back in the .320's. How do you like your crow, baked, barbequed or broiled!!!!!!

Will he be 4-5 on the day he has to sit out and rest every week?

Is the goal no longer to win a world series? If not, what is the goal? I'm just telling you that it will never happen here as long as that much salary is tied up in a catcher.

He may be worth 23 million dollars but he is worth that on a team that already has star offensive players at the other key positions, not on a team that has not had a decent 3rd baseman since the early 90's.

The Twins can pay Mauer all they want but he alone will not take them to the World Series alone. Yes, Joe is good but how many catchers are out more than Joe?

Geez, one watches some of the other sports and they can suck it up and Joe can only take a few more days off.

Maybe he needs some special spring training.

I like Joe but man, get your body in shape.