• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River GTG, Sat, Feb 28th

Yes. It is NASP. I'd never heard of it before. He just changed schools to St. Croix Prep academy in Stillwater.They have an archery program run by Bob Bramstad and he jumped right in. He loves it. See you Sat. I'll bring the buns.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• hovermn

• croixflats

• Jordyn Kaufer

Ill try to make it, can someone give me directions from WBL to there? New to the Metro. Thanks

There's a link on page 1 of this post that'll get you on the river.

From WBL, just go east on 36 towards Stillwater, then south on 95 into Bayport.

Happy to have ya!

Man, I really want to make this. I'm hitting the Sippi on Sunday at noon and, unfortunatly, the wife only gives me one of the two days out. I really want to meet all you guys and see the old buddies I haven't seen in a while. Just can't swing it, got an itch for the open water.

Anybody have some of those stickers that say "HI MY NAME IS ..."

Just a thought?

I have some, I'll bring them. Good idea!

DonBo,

I probably should make my way back up north on the river for the day to try some new spots and put some names with faces. Count me in. I would be happy to bring a couple different cases of pop if needed?

DonBo,

I probably should make my way back up north on the river for the day to try some new spots and put some names with faces. Count me in. I would be happy to bring a couple different cases of pop if needed?

tommyk, happy to have you! Sure not gonna turn you down if you wanted to bring some liquid. Thanks!

Are you sure you want to walk away from your hotspot for a day? shockedgrin

Count me in. I will try my best to find a way down there. I may not join for lunch but would like to fish and meet you guys. DonBo I sent you an email.

Donbo I will be heading down at around noon until 7 or so because the varsity hockey team has the 1st section game this weekend and I was on jv so I gotta show my support. My dad will he down at first to meet people and then he has to leave and do some things on the honey-do list and then he'll be back down at around 5.

We'll be driving a silverish checy Malibu maxx.

I will bring my HUGE frabill magnum GT.

Will be there for some lunch and then head out to fish till 7 or so.

Can't wait!!!!

Jordyn

Sounds like we got maybe 20 people coming. Should be a good time. Wish I could tell you all I hammered them tonight but that was not the case.

I didn't get a line in the water till 4:00 and only kepy 1. A 12"er. I did mark fish everywhere. Met sausageman tonight, he was there longer and kept 4 nice ones. He was fishing not far from where we will set up tomorrow.

The conditions were better than I expected with all the new snow. No one should have a problem getting around out there. I even saw a small car far from the landing.

So, tomorrow noon we'll meet on the ice just south of the Bayport access. I'm driving a small red pick up and will be there just a bit early. Hopefully croixflats can be a little early also??? to get the charcoal going.

If anyone is coming but can't be there in time for lunch, you can call my cell at: 612-201-2882 and I'll let you know where we will be fishing.

Till tomorrow......

I figure on getting there 11:30. I was thinking of using my Ice house as a table. Its a 8x8(Northlander with wood floor) suitcase style folded up 4x8 should be big enough.

Stuff came up last night that will keep me and loose15 out of this one.

Good luck tomorrow. We'll get in on the next gathering.

Hey don!

the crappie ended up being 13 1/4inches!!

thanks for a great day on the ice!

heading out there again tomorrow!!

Well there were some highlights today, though not many.

Lunch was outstanding. Thanks to croixflats for the grill, sausageman for the chili, Cheetah for the brownies and everyone else who pitched in.

DSC01858.jpg

Jordyn caught his biggest crappie through the ice today cool and sausageman schooled us all as he iced 14 crappies. shocked I think everyone else got maybe one or two. frown There were also some bonus walleye/sauger caught, though I think croixflats had the only keeper.

DSC01859.jpg

Jordyn with his 13 1/4" crappie

DSC01863.jpg

croixflats with a nice sauger

I'm a bit embarrased by the luck we had as a group. Coarse you didn't expect me to take all YOU people to my best spot did you? grin

DSC01861.jpg

Trying hard.

DSC01860.jpg

Hardly trying.

It was a good turnout and was really nice to meet you all. I think tommyk maybe offered his secret spot for next year. We'll have to keep in touch with him on that.

All in all it was a nice day and I hope everyone had a good time!

Hey DonBo I wanted to thank you for setting everything up. Sorry my buddy and I split so quick. Just wanted to get back while there was still some daylight, being the first time on the river and all... I ended up catch 2 x 10.5'' Black Crappies, 2 x 5'' White Bass, 1 x 10'' Sheephead. My buddy on the other hand did a little better. He caught a 9'' and 10'' White Crappie, 12'' Black Crappie and 16'' Sauger. Everything was CPR'ed. We had the most luck on bare hooks he was using orange and I was using Chartruese. His sauger came on a Yellow tear drop jig. Everything came off the bottom, no fish were suspended. I definately enjoyed my first time on the river and will be out again. Also it was nice chatting with TommyK before we went fishin', We might have to hit up knife lake one of these days.

Thanks for the good times guys!

Craig

Hey Guys,

Sorry I couldn't hang around to fish. Sorry you didn't get to try my pickled fish too. I ran home to get a few hours of sleep and a shower. I grabbed my computer too. I'm sitting next to my Dad right now at Regions Medical Center. He is constantly improving. They said the bleeding on his brain has stopped and will not need any surgery for that. They were also worried about several compression fractures in his spine, but a closer look at the x-rays determined that they were from some other event earlier in life. He does have a fracture in the skull, kinda around his eye socket, but that will heal on its own. He also shattered his collar bone. That they may just sling, or they may also put a plate with some screws in. He also cracked 9 ribs on his right side with some bruising too. All in all he is very lucky! It really sounds worse than it is. Overnight they had him doped up heavily, but he was consious the whole time dozing in and out. They were able to reduce his pain meds some today and having a entire conversation with him is easier. It sounds like he could be released in a day or two, with a lot of rest still needed at home. Tomarrow he is going to see an occupational therapist among others to re-evaluate any long term damage. But right now it appears that he should be able to make a full recovery!

Sorry to be a buzz-kill today but I was looking forward to meeting you guys all week! I didn't have a means of telling you guys the situation (no computer last night/morning) otherwise I wouldn't have showed up like I did.

Thanks DonBo for organizing and everybody else for the food and drinks! I wish I could've stayed longer.....I look forward to seeing you guys again under better circumstances smile

Hey everyone

Thanks for having us out there, the food was good the fishign was ok, the only bad thing was, I think, for you guys =-) I think hovermn Aka Dave and I will be out there more! All in all we caught 1 itsy white bass, a small white crappie, one 11" white crappie, one 10" black crappie and around 5 walleye/saugers that ranged from 6"-15". Did anyone stay out past sunset and howd ya do?

Sorry to hear about your dad Bman, Hope all goes for the best for you two.

ShawnnyB

Well guys, it must have been you. Was out for just a few hours this morning and caught 5, including my biggest of the year, (maybe ever)this 14"er!

DSC01866.jpg

Thanks to sausageman, the last three including this pig came on eurolarvae. Who'da thought?

BTW, I went to my other secret spot this morning. grin

Nice fish DonBo.

I was also out this morning with my little brother and we didn't have good luck. We we on the MN side in 30 feet and I didn't even land a fish.

Thats a slab for ya DonBo. Yep thanks to sausageman I to got a few more last night off waxies.

I guess that was Hoverman and Shawny B coming back to the river last night as I was head up the access road. Sure is a nice set up you got there Dave.

-

Thanks DonBo for organizing the get together was nice to meet others from the forum out there. Was a great day out there and the weather was perfect.

DonBo thanks for organizing the GTG, next time i think someone who knows where the fish are should organize it though!! Just kidding had to give a little ribbing since no one else has. I see you caught some today so thats a good sign. Had Fun out there fishing and chating with everyone! Congrats on the biggest crappie Jordyn and to sausageman for the most caught! Definitly look forward to doing it again. Between Me, my dad and brother we caught 2 keeper crappies, 2 small sauger and let a few small crappies go (well they did, I didn't catch a thing). Thats been the norm for us for a couple hours fishing out there. An open water GTG would be fun also.