• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports

Anyone else seeing any dead fish now that most of the lakes are either open or have open shorelines? I have a fairly lengthy list from the DNR from a month or so ago on some lakes that were starting to get low oxygen levels and may have winterkilled. If anyone is interested in checking out some of these lakes let me know and I can send you the list.

Anyone else seeing any dead fish now that most of the lakes are either open or have open shorelines? I have a fairly lengthy list from the DNR from a month or so ago on some lakes that were starting to get low oxygen levels and may have winterkilled. If anyone is interested in checking out some of these lakes let me know and I can send you the list.

Can you post the list? or do you want a email address instead?

trapping,

Can't send you a email because you're at the max quot. I've seen floating fishing in Round, Campbell and Otter Tail.

Allie is fine that I could see it was about 60% open yesterday and I seen no dead fish. Preston had everything from eyes to carp some pretty nice fish too seen one 20 plus eye and a few smaller ones also a lot of crappies between 8 and 14

It is frustrating to see the dead fish. The DNR stocks to try and get something going and then this happens. Preston was on my radar to fish early this spring, but not no more. I am guessing some made it, but numbers will have gotten reduced significantly.

Avid

There is a problem with Preston and I hope the DNR can see it and do something about it. That lake can produce nice fish but not if something don't change soon

Hoping to get out after some pan fish with the kids early. Anybody hear of fish moving into the shallows yet?

I spoke with two elderly gents yesterday at the farm store in Hutch because there were buying bait. They didn't know where to go or didn't know where they would end up, but I do know one thing.... they were going to have some fun.

Why can't we get enough support to have a aerator system out there? I know this has been talked about before. The DNR does not think they are a great idea on most lakes, but they do save lakes. Preston is a shallow fertile lake that would produce big year classes of crappies at times, would sustain walleye populations if stocked and produce other species of fish naturally. This lake would be a more consistent fishery if they there was one.

It does have lots of carp, but ater a kill event that problem can go away. Is there a club out that way that would run one?

I had heard parts of the Crow had a winterkill. Where on the Crow did this happen?

Hester,

What kind of fish was that?? Looks like big crappies?

Avid

mostly smaller carp. Some very large carp, some walleys, crappies and a lot of catfish too.

I actually checked out Preston yesterday. I only saw one walleye. The thing about it that everyone needs to remember is that the rough fish die first. The whole shore line at preston is solid white. But 99% of it is carp. So just because the carp are dead does not mean the walleyes died as well. In some cases (like preston) it could be kind of a good thing. Lets just hope for the best and maybe the DNR will do some surveys and beable to answer questions for us!

It cost 1000 to 1100 to run the aerator out here and the lake association pays for it. but first you have to buy the system and find someone to manage it.

I looked over preston pretty thoroughly today. I would say 80% of the dead fish were carp. Saw some other rough fish and catfish. I probably saw 10-20 walleyes from 15-20", some keeper sized perch, a fair amount of 10-12" crappies. Also a few smaller pike and big bluegill. A fish kill is never good, but cleaning out those giant carp is only for the better. Allie looked good, Checked Round Grove for the heck of it and that got hammered. Tons of dead carp, did see a few 16"ish walleyes and some average size perch too.

Another pic from the river. Believe it or not, we cleared this spot last night. All of these fish showed up in the past 24 hrs.

IMAG0240_zps2ff389d8.jpg

Another pic from the river. Believe it or not, we cleared this spot last night. All of these fish showed up in the past 24 hrs.

IMAG0240_zps2ff389d8.jpg

I'd like to know what you did with the ones that you cleaned up and what are you planning on doing with these?

WOW!!! Look at all those fish!! When it warms up, Hutch will smell just lovely!!

These winterkill events do give lakes a chance to start fresh. I am sure the DNR will be putting brood stock and some walleye fry into Preston this year. It just stinks that it will be a few years before they will be fishable size. Then you have the chance of this happening again.

Vicious cycle.

We did the only thing you can do unless your a farmer.

Push them out in the current and let the next guy down river deal with them.

And, they already smell bad.

I was by Preston again the other day too and I also seen only carp but Friday last week was a different story. While winter kill can be a good thing it gets upsetting when it happens again just as the lake was starting to come back from the last one

Echo lake winterkilled this year. A couple pike and a few bullheads, otherwise it was all carp. Arvilla Lake also winterkilled. Again, lots of carp, but I also seen quite a few suckers, and a few dogfish, panfish, and even a couple nice catfish.

We were out on a Wright County lake today that I have been wanting to try for a couple years now but kept putting it off. Not a whole lot of quantity today but the fish were of decent size. The biggest pike was 35 inches, as well as a bonus bass that was 17 inches. All fish came trolling Original Floater Rapalas in 4-6 FOW.

• The title was changed to Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports