• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports

I made it out last night and had a blast.

I was snooping around on an area lake and saw a culvert with running water coming into the lake. I decided to see if there were any panfish in the area. It didn't take long to find out they were stacked in there. Every cast yielded a bite. I caught a bunch of nice crappies and a few sunfish. I was shocked when I set the hook and had a good fight on my hands. I could see that is was a crappie and was a giant. It was a huge black crappie that was about 14 inches, but she was full of spawn and heavy. I thanked her for the fight and released her. I ended up catching a couple 12 inchers as well. They were released as well. I kept a few 8.5 to 10 inchers for a meal and switched over to walleye fishing.

I was using an Adjust A Bubble Bobber and a 1/64 oz black hair jig tipped with a Berkley Gulp Smelt minnow head. It was lights out.

I then went jigging for walleyes. We worked a point in about 13 ft of water with a green stand-up jig and fathead minnow. We picked up A 15.5 inch walleye and a 13.5 inch. We caught a few more small ones after that, but nothing big. We ended up trolling raps and picked up two more. One was 14.5 and the other was 14.

It was a good night of fishing!

Avid

To bad DNR, would not set limits on pike to (6)total between 16 & 21 inches. No more than 2 between 21 1/16 and 27 inches. maybe more if these smaller fish would be kept.

i agree with you, depending on the lake of course. that's why it's important in my opinion to release all large fish. large predator fish are the best way to control the stunted poplulation of any species. there must be a reason for it but i have always wondered why the limit of pike are only three statewide. some lakes could use a limit as you have described. good luck.

Was out the last two evenings and manage the following:

Day 1:

23.5" Northern

28" Northern

18" eye

Day 2:

23.5" Northern

18" eye

17" eye

Had to change tactics second day to find fish, but managed to finally hook up in 12-13 feet of water running deep running rapalas right after dark. Lots of boats day one, good to see some younger fisherman out there catching fish.

Good luck everyone.

Good morning everyone!

Well I had one of those weekends. I fished about 8 hours for walleyes on two different lakes and got blanked. The good Lord knows how to humble a guy once in awhile. What a frustrating weekend of fishing!! I did mangage a couple 30 inch pike, which was cool and a heck of a fight. I think my problem was I was too stubborn to switch things up. The water temps were in the low 60's and I figured a jig and a shiner should still coak some eyes, but not on the lakes I was on. I did see a few eyes get caught on spinners and minnows and bobbers and minnows. The other lake it was crawlers and leeches on rigs.

Anyways, I have to get out this week and get that taste out of my mouth. I was not impressed and need to find some eyes.

The crappies should be spawning now, so don't forget to check that out.

Avid

People do not get all worked up about this lake or that lake the walleyes are going on a lot of lakes in the area. Avid gives real good info [maybe too much] pick a lake that has a decent population of walleyes, pick some good locations and try a few different presentations. I have fish several lakes in the area and have caught walleyes on all of them.My total since opener 35 walleyes of which 3 were under 14" and 7 were over 20 " which put the bulk of them in the eating range. As for presentations crankbaits,jigs and plastics or jigs and livebait all took fish.

Hey workin4bait,

I am not taking it too personal but when you made the comment about me maybe saying too much, what did you mean? I am just curious.

I very rarely say any lake names besides maybe a general discussion once in awhile. I guess I am just sharing some tips. I wish more people would do the same because that is how I learn to do different things. My dad was pretty much a sunfish/bass guy and I didn't have a clue about how to catch walleyes until I was about 20.

I have done a lot of reading, research and sharing info with buds to get where I am at. I am just giving back to my fellow fisherman what I have taken in.

There are too many viewers on this forum and not enough sharers. People are so darn worried that there secret will get out. What people don't realize is that they can share tips on how to catch fish, but don't have to even come close to what lake they are fishing. I am proof of having a lot of knowledge, but that doesn't always translate into a successful outing. The biggest thing is too learn from every outing and try not to make the same mistake twice.

Avid

we did ok went early sat caught 1 walleye 1 bass and one perch. then went out last night 1 bass butall we did was troll with spinner with leeches and crawlers.

I am not one to post on here alot, but I am on here quite a bit just reading and getting ideas (mostly on the forums) I bought a bigger boat this year that needed lots of work and just sold the smaller one so needless to say we havent been out much yet this year. I dont think Avid should have to post lakes and I enjoy that he doesnt because everyone and their dad would be out there the next day. I also enjoy that he shares his ideas and presentations. Keep em comin Avid and thanks for all your tips! I HOPE to get out on the water soon!!!

Exactly. That's what we're all here for...to share information...as little or as much as you wish.

Thanks Avid!

Avid,

I really enjoy your posts. Lots of good info for fishing the area lakes.

We were out Sun. but did not do well. My wife caught a "kittie" that weighed about 4 lbs. about 15 min. into the "quest", but that was the only thing we caught. Hit all my usual spots and some unusual spots on what used to be one of my favorite lakes, but to no avail. Maybe what "they" say about when the wind's from the east...is really true. Tried my best to get our new daughter-in-law onto fish, but failed. Hope she still wants to go in the future.

We had some good family time with our son and his bride, but it's still more fun when they're biting! Maybe next time!

Thanks for the support guys!!

Hopefully we can get some consistent weather. That should help us all catch a few more fish.

Avid

How does that old Alabama song go? "Can't keep a good man down"

I headed out last night for a few hours and what a nice night for fishing.

I did something that I normally don't do a lot of. I casted Rapala's. I started out looking for emerging weeds and casted around those patches. I had a couple strikes but no hook-ups. I then thought of an article I had read about lake inlets and how they draw fish to them. I decided to go check out the ones I knew about on this lake. I got to the first one and in the first two casts I boated a 14.5 inch eye. I casted there a few more times and missed two more. That was frustrating. I didn't get any more strikes. So I moved on to the next one. Nothing. Next one, nothing. Went back to the first one and bam, got another one. It was getting dark now and I had two fish in the well. What should I do now? I decided that with the winds we have been having the last few days, to work the shore that was getting hit. I focused on a rocky shoreline and within 6 casts I had two more. I slowly moved along the shore line and within 15 minutes I picked up my last two.

My biggest was 15.5 inches and the rest were 14 or just over.

My lures of choice were a silver shallow x-rap shad or a # 10 Rapala Long-cast perch.

Fun night!

Avid

Avid, I was not trying to make waves with you. The fact of the matter is you give very good info yet people are still asking for lake names. I personally get a lot more satisfaction by going to a lake that doesn't have a "hot bite" and figuring it out on my own.I have been fishing all my life and a subscriber to"In-Fisherman" for close to 25 years so much of what it takes to figure "it out" is second nature to me. The thing people have to remember is fish are always biting somewhere. Rarely is there a fishing tournement where no fish are caught!

I figured you weren't,I was just more curious to hear what you thought I was saying too much about.

I am exactly like you when it comes to fishing. I actually avoid the lakes that everybody is talking about being hot. I don't know if I have a phobia of people on a lake or what, but I like to go on an adventure and see what I can discover. If I can create my own bite I am happier than a pig in mud. This also keeps the mind going and thinking of different things to try to make the bite happen. If you know all there is to know about the hot bite and go to the lake and set up on the bite next to everyone else, there is not a lot of adventure to that.

One of the best sights for me is to get to a lake access and see no vehicles in the parking alot. That means if I get on the fish, I have the whole lake to myself and don't have to worry about it getting hammered.

Anyways, I got no beef with you workin4bait. Good luck fishing out there!!

Avid

Since were giving tips over here, I just want to remind you guys of a very easy tip that we sometimes forget.

Clear Water = Natural Bait Colors

Murky Muddy Water = Bright Bait Colors

Good luck y'all

Hi!!

My brother and I fished a Hutch area lake yesterday. Didn't have too much to show for our efforts. Only had 3 walleyes, with just one being of keeper length(over 14" in our boat). Released everything. Also caught one small Northern and gave some "jewelry" to two fish-probably Northerns so if you catch one with a 2 tone green VMC dominator jig or one with a 1/16 oz. Chart./wht. Beetle Spin, you'll know who fed them breakfast on Sat. Had most bites early. Beautiful day to be out on the water with my lifelong fishin buddy. No motor or equip. issues so it was a great time.

Minnows beat out leeches and crawlers by a wide margin.

Good fishing to all this week!!!

Avid- well now that you've tried casting cranks, now you can try just pulling them behind the boat. My favorite way to fish. Just toss the rod in the rod holder, bail open, clicker on, adjust tensioner so line only comes off when a fish hits and then proceed to drive around the lake looking for bikini's on the docks!

I am hoping to do more of that this summer.

It is always refreshing when you come across a few bikinis while on the water.

Avid

Did I miss spring??? Aren't the crappie supposed to move to shallow water to feed, then spawn? They haven't where I have been.

I have been out on local lakes during the morning about twice per week for the past four weeks and have yet to catch a crappie. I have been trolling a 1/32 oz jig (several colors) on the slowest speed on my trolling motor over water from 4 to 15 feet deep and NOTHIN'! I have also tried casting a crappie sized plastic lure into the inlet and outlet areas.

When I started, the water temp was about 45 and as of yesterday it was 71 degrees. It changed from 60 degrees to 71 in a WEEK!

The small lake that I fished yesterday morning already had a bad case of algae bloom. And it is only early JUNE.

I hate to send a post like this because I feel like a novice because I have not figured out where the crappie might be.

Can someone enlighten me?

Frustrated.

Vizs,a week ago I was catching pre-spawn crappies from shore. I have not attempted fishing for them since,between smallies,walleyes,bluegills and muskies there is not a lot of time for all the other fish.

V-Man,

There are spawning crappie bites going on right now. Maybe you have to try a different lake? If you are fishing a clear lake, those fish might be a little deeper than normal. Crappies will spawn in deep water depending on clarity.

Your trolling technique seems sound, but the jig might be too light to get down deep enough. Try a 1/16th whistler jig with a tail or crappie minnow.

As far as shoreline areas to key on, look for pencil reeds. Crappies love spawning in them. If no pencil reeds, look at docks and boat lifts. Try to find harder bottom areas as well, like sand and gravel.

Don't feel bad. We still all have bad fishing days once in awhile.

Avid

Well I am itching real bad to get fishing. I didn't make it out over the weekend. The walleye bite is still going out there, but I think it will be slowing down soon. Water temps are climbing and forage will become more available in the lakes, making fishing a little more difficult. I did fish some crappies late last week and mangaged to scrape up a limit of 9-11 inch fish. It took a while, but I got them. Still using gulp minnow heads on a 1/32 black hair jig. The bass and crappie spawn should be wrapping up soon if not already on some lakes. The sunfish should be starting. Remember to throw back the big bull males that are guarding the nests. They will give you the best potential for qualtiy bluegills for the future. Don't be afraid to keep some females for the pan. There are plenty of eggs for future populations. If you need more info on how to tell the difference between males and females, send me a private message.

I hope to get out walleye fishing this week.

Avid

I got out but was more productive in marking structure and figuring out a nice trolling run for next time than catching fish. Tried trolling raps, marked a lot of fish, pulled right through them but they didnt want to cooperate. Gonna try pulling a drift sock next time in an effort to slow down, couldnt get under 2.5 mph Saturday too calm.

I made it out last night for a few hours. What a nice night. I decided to try for some crappies early and then go for walleye towards dark. We started out pitching jigs and minnows towards shore. We found three docks that were holding some fish, but it was pretty sporadic. We would pick up one here and there. We ended up with 12 crappies in an hour and a half. We then switched gears and tried rigging for some eyes. We ended up with a few bites but no fish. It was a pretty slow night, but I was happy with a meal of crappies. The weather has been pretty inconsistent or at least the wind has been the last few days. This makes it hard to find concentrations of fish. The crappies I beleive were in their post spawn stage already. We caught most our fish in about 8 ft of water along the break. If I had to so something different, I would have trolled rapalas in about 8 ft around the lake until we contacted some eyes and then maybe worked that area.

I should get out this weekend.

Avid

Awfully quiet in here!! Isn't anybody out fishing?

I made it out Saturday and Sunday. I fished panfish all weekend. Saturday we targeted crappie. We absolutely smacked them by trolling # 4 rattle traps out in the basin. Some of these fish inhaled the whole trap. Sucked for getting the hook out. What a blast though.

The next day I took my dad and five year old son to catch bluegill. I had gotten a tip last Friday on some nice gills. We headed to the lake and started searching. I cruised the shoreline a bit to find some beds. We stopped by a cattail point and gave it a shot. The first spot did not produce and so we moved on. We got to a small cove in the cattails and anchored there. The first cast I picked up a nice 8 inch bull gill. I had plucked 4 fish before my dad could get in on the action, but soon enough he was giggling like a five year old pulling these hard fighting fish. I caught a few more and then helped my son get after them. His casting accuracy isn't quite there yet, so I got him in the right spot and wham he is pulling 8 inch gills in with his scooby doo rod. He had a riot.

I was amazed how small of an area we were fishing and how many sunfish were packed in there. We had to cast in a small 15 by 15 ft area to get them. We were using # 10 ice fishing hooks in yellow and white tipped with worm. I went to a berkley gulp minnow head and did just as well.

My dad made the comment that he hadn't caught that nice of sunfish in over ten years. What a great afternoon on the water. That was the best Father's Day gift I could give him. He loved it. I got some nice pics for the memory book.

Avid

I went sun morning with the boys did not catch any thing trolling spinners. one lake we tried nothing but notice that the mayflies casting were on top of the water so i figure it was going to be a tough bite . then the electronics went out on me too . but was planing on get new soon. Hey avid what did u end up getting for your boat? I saw you were in the market for sonar/gps. and what do you think of it?

I actually haven't gotten a new one yet. I am looking very seriously at the Hummingbirds though. I have heard a lot of good things. I will probably go with the 898c SI when I get the cash built up for it.

Still using my H20 GPS and Eagle 480 Depth Finder. Nothing great, but they both work well and I know how to read them.

Avid

Hi!

Hope to get out fishing on Sat. Just wondering if anybody's noticed any of the area lakes being overcome by the "green slime/chunk" syndrome yet? Seems like certain lakes, like Collinwood, have had big issues with this in the past few years. Just wanting to get some info so as to not waste too much gas venturing off to one of these "slime machines", only to get there and not being able to fish it. Any info would be appreciated.

Wishing for some dry weather!!

• The title was changed to Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports