• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports

Daoshao,

There are reasons why I don't like to mention lakes on this forum or any forum for that matter.

The main reason I won't, is because I have been burned before on giving up spots and then they get hammered and fished out.

So what I am doing is offering tips or advice on how to locate the fish on your local lakes that you fish. I don't mind telling you what I am using and where to look for them. So go and find your own hot spots and enjoy them. Whether you tell others, that is totally up to you.

I have put in a lot of hours in the boat and time reading articles on how and where to find fish.

For me, the fun of fishing is challenging myself and finding fish on new lakes. Once I find them and catch a meal, I have won the game and move on to the next lake to figure out.

There are a lot of resources for people to use to help them become better fisherman. Some people choose to use them and others rely on bait shop fishing reports, which are usually two weeks behind.

Good luck on the water!

Avid

Nice answer Avid, and thanks for the report.

It has been the policy of the website that the person giving the report has the option of giving as little or as much information as he or she desires, and criticism of such reports won't be allowed. Considering the size of the lakes in this area and the amount of pressure they already typically receive it can be tricky to mention specific lakes in reports, especially the small ones, without risking a pile of people showing up the following weekend and hurting the resource.

If the fish are on a feedbag and boat after boat (or ice house after ice house) show up it CAN have an impact on the resource. I hope that most people who decide not to reveal the name of the lake feel this way and not for the reason of protecting "my fish" or "my spot", because you may think it's a secret but in reality it's probably not. The internet is fast, but word of mouth seems to be just as fast at times.

As said before, there are many ways to share information without mentioning specific lakes or spots and Avid's reports are a fine example of that. Sometimes information such as that can be enough to get a person started on the right path to catching their own fish. Depths, presentations, speeds, bait choice, etc.....all valuable information for the memory bank that you can take with you to the lake to use or improve upon yourself.

Fall is right around the corner and fishing should only get better up until ice starts to form. Good luck!

Greetings everyone,

Seems like everybody's been "gunshy" about giving out much of any info or reports since last week or has football replaced fishing?

Anyway, we spent a fairly uneventful, but fun,day out on beautiful Lake C. yesterday. Had one keeper walleye and one throwback "little guy" walleye on crankbaits and a couple of bass, one lg. and one small, on jig and minnow combos. Weather was beautiful, had the company of good people and had another opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors.

Oh yeah, the water seems to be improving-not much green stuff noticed except near shore.

Enjoy the Holiday tomorrow!

Thanks for the update. I don't think there are many people heading out now, or at least I sure haven't seen a whole lot of activity at the landings lately.

Good morning everyone!

I hope you all had a good weekend. I was able to get out on Saturday for a few hours. I went to Lake Preston. I was shocked by how big the lake was. I had never fished it before and was a little surprised. I was hoping to get a feel for the lake and mark a few spots to try this winter.

I think 90% of that lake is 8-9 feet of water. I fished around the south island and looked around a couple of points and the north island. It was very slow and the water was pretty dirty.

I ended up with two small walleyes that were maybe 12 inches. It sounds like that was story last winter. A lot of little walleyes. Hopefully it doesn't freeze out this winter.

Avid

My day off from work, means I'm going goose hunting. Quit early around 8. Decide to go fishing, hit Waverly 3hrs of little bass,then we found the crappies got 2 limits in about an hour 11 to 12 inches. Wifes happy tonight.

Good morning everyone!

This year is the first fall in like ten years that I haven't goose hunted early season. So far I have been very happy with my decision. I have decided to stay on the water and chase Mr. Walleye. So far that decison has turned out to be a good one.

I was out yesterday on a local lake. When I got to the access, I thought I had fishing competition, but it turned out they were goose hunters.

I concentrated my efforts on fishing rocks. I had read a fall fishing article this week and thought I should give it a try.

Man, did it pay off! I boated 4 walleyes in about two hours jigging around rocks. One was a fat 23.5 inches. I thought I had a carp at first, but old white tip showed his face and I got excited.

I then decided I wanted to cover water a little faster and started trolling #5 pearl deep diving shad rap. I concentrated on about 7 feet water off a rock shoreline and boated another 4 walleyes and a bonus SLAB CRAPPIE! That thing was huge. It measured 12.5 inches, but was deep. It weighed about 1.25 lbs.

On that lake, I ended up with eight walleyes and the crappie.

The majority of the walleyes were about 14 inches.

I then decided to try a different lake for crappies. In an hour, I boated 6 crappies that were 11 inches. I found them tucked around a suken tree in about 8.5 feet of water.

One tip I wil leave you with. Next time you are trolling and you get snagged up on something, go back to the snag real slow and watch your depth finder. You might just have found a hot spot. That is how I found this suken tree. I marked it with my GPS and now can go back time and again to fish it and pull crappies and walleyes. Pretty simple!

I will be out on the water again today.

Avid

Greetings!!

Fished Big Swan yesterday without success. 2 Dogfish, 1 perch and 1 small smallmouth bass. Water temp. still near 75 deg. Beautiful day, though.

Water level is down quite a bit.

Have a great week!

Went out saturday morning with a buddy and did some trolling. Started with daredevils and landed two northerns. Switched to rapalas and varied depths more from 4.5-7 ft. Ended up hooking up with a nice largemouth, 7 northerns, and twelve walleyes. Most of the walleyes were 14-15 inches, northerns 22-26 inches. We brought home enough to eat. We went out there willing to try anything as we weren't expecting much. What a nice surprise! We had boats all around us but never seen them bring anything except a few bass. Maybe it was just our day. Keep trying, apperently everyone has their day!

Nice reports you guys!

I was able to get out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours.

I trolled rapalas along the shoreline in about 6-9 feet of water, but had no luck. When I was trolling, I noticed one area that seemed to have a nice sharp break from 6 to 9 feet. I back trolled through the area and picked up a couple small walleyes. I then caught some nice crappies. I ended up with 6 crappies and about 8 walleyes. None of the walleyes were worth keeping because they were about 8 inches, but the crappies were up to 10.75 inches. I was using a green 1/8 ounce stand-up jig tipped with a minnow and was swimming it behind the boat at about .75 mph.

I also caught about a 5 pound catfish on my ultralight. That was quite the fight. I bet it took ten minutes to get in.

Until next time, good luck!

Avid

Good morning everyone!

I was fortunate enough to make it out yesterday. It was really nice.

I went to a favorite lake of mine and it was surprisingly pretty clear. I struggled at first to find any fish. Finally the wind picked up enough so that I found a side of the lake that was churned up a bit.

I starting trolling with my little rattle trap and ended up finding some nice sized crappies. I also had a five pound northern. I ended up catching about 20 crappies. I had them up to 11 inches and average was 10.

I didn't find any walleyes, but I did catch a few bonus bluegills on my crawler harness.

Water temps were still in the low 70's. I am guessing we will see some lakes turning over pretty soon. Sounds like the weather forecast will cause some changes.

Good luck on the water!

Avid

Made it out this morning in the breeze and drizzle to chase some walleye. Wasn't sure what to expect after the nearly 3" of rain and cold weather we've had but found that the water temp was around 56 degrees and the water clarity wasn't that bad.

Had quite a few bites on my jig/minnow and got one up to the surface that looked about two pounds but did a barrel roll and threw my jig. The bites I had were good but couldn't get them to hook up. They seemed to be in 12-14 FOW and just had to keep moving to find them here and there.

Considering the weather we've had recently I was satisfied with the action even though I didn't get them up to the boat. Guess I'm a little rusty setting the hook with the jig!

Good evening,

I made it out today after being hung over this morning and I was very happy to have made it out. The water temps were 70 degrees last Saturday and now it was 52 today. I couldn't beleive it!!!

I fished a couple rocky points today and did very well on walleyes. In two hours, I had 7 walleyes. The biggest was 22 inches and I had a 17, 16, 15 and three 14 inchers. They bit aggressive on my jig and minnow. It was fun to be the only person on the lake and catching fish!!

Have a good night!

Avid

Good morning!

I can't believe this weather! I don't know how many open water reports a guy will have left. I bundled up yesterday and went out in the afternoon. Surprising, it wasn't too bad on the water. There was very little wind, which makes a world of difference. I started out jigging a rock bar and could't get bit. I finally got a northern after an hour and a half. I then decided to troll some rapala's. I made three passes and picked up one 14 inch walleye.

I was getting pretty discouraged, but I decided to head back to the rocks with about an hour left to fish before dark. I figured with very little wind, sun and decent water clarity, the walleyes were going to wait until almost dark.

Sure enough, about 6:15 they started smacking. I picked up a 16 inch and five 14 inchers within 20 minutes. It was a great way to end the day.

I hope I get chance to get out a couple more times before freeze up.

Avid

Greetings Everyone,

Does anyone have any good fishing reports? Due to work and personal commitments, I haven't been able to be on the water for almost a month. My brother and a buddy of ours spent a less than fruitful day, yesterday, on Stella and Belle. One small perch for all their efforts. My brother said that everyone they talked to at both lakes had similar tales of woe. Water temp. about 45 degrees, my brother reported. Maybe it will be a better report next weekend.

Enjoy the sunshine!

Sorry, no good report here either. I tried yesterday morning but didn't have any luck, although I did jig up a 12.5" crappie! I don't fish for crappie so this was a personal best. Other than that highlight it was slow for me.

Good morning guys and gals!

I was in Hutch the other day and drove on South Grade road. I went by the famous fishing hole and man was there people there. I am guessing the fall walleye run has started there by the looks of it. Has anyone been down there?

I also heard a couple other bites going on. Rumor has it that Jennie and Hook were kicking out fish. Is there any truth to that?

The fisherman are few and far in-between on the lakes right now, so I don't mind saying too much because I bet 90% of the people have put their boats away for the winter. The true die hards are still fsihing.

I have not put the boat away. I am thinking November is going to have some nice weather yet. I am going to stay on the walleyes until ice up. I am looking for my pig for the wall.

Have a good day!

Avid

Jennie has been putting out eyes for a long time. No rumor, but old news. I am not sure about hook. There can be some nice fish in the lake, but my fishing experiences have given me a bad tast in the mouth when I hear that name.

Good evening!

I was hoping to get out fishing for a few hours on Sat. in the Hutchinson area, but might not be able to take the boat. Are there any decent shore fishing spots that might yield a walleye or two that any of you know of? Have any of you fished off the pier on the NE side of MinniBelle? Just wondering-and hoping.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Have a great weekend.

I have not done this in years but you might wade in on the northwest corner of Belle. There are bullrushes there (not cattails) indicating a hard sand bottom (at least it use to be). There is also a culvert there. Years ago I used to toss a wooden creek chub while slowly wading that stand of rushes. Caught a few nice walleyes. Wear a head lamp. Thats all I know.

It is still hard sand bottom there. It stays quite shallow for a long ways out there so waders are a must.

We were out today on a area lake for 2 1/2 hrs. trolling for pike caught just two, 5 1/2 pounder and one that weighed 14 pounds. It was slow with the temp at just 38 degrees the old woodstove felt good after getting back home, looking ahead to some hard water fishing.

Anyone make it out this weekend?

I went out for a couple hours on Saturday and caught a dozen eyes, but most were about 10 inches. I had two keepers of about 14-15 inches.

I wish I would have went out yesterday. It was gorgeous. I bet with the full moon upon us, the evening bite is smacking right now.

I am getting the deer hunting itch now though.

Have fun out there and be safe!

Avid

My boat is "half" winterized so I haven't been out. I could quickly get it ready to go if I get the itch, but I think I'm done for the year. Pheasant hunting trips are taking priority right now.

Are the docks still in?

• The title was changed to Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports