• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports

ive been reading this site for a long time , finally thought id contribute. Being off work the last 2 weeks ive fished a few local lakes. cedar,belle,erie,greenleaf,marion, minnebelle,manuella,ripley,stella,star, washington, willie.

the ice conditions have been poor for the most part, still slush areas. I use a snomachine to get on the ice.as of yesterday I seen people driving on belle,star, washington, and willie.

My sucess has been mixed, ive caught panfish on all the lakes, mostly to small to keep. walleyes on marion(16" largest ive ever gotten on that lake) stella( all to small), washington( a few keepers). most of them to small to. none of the lakes other then belle has consistantly given me fish to take home.

Hope the rest of you are having better sucess then i have. It's still better then working

Good morning everyone!

Well I am hearing about meat hogs again. I called them in last night. I know of a group of guys that went back three times in one day to catch their limits of crappies.

I hope they get busted because I am sick and tired of hearing about people hoarding fish and abusing our lakes. I urge all of you to use the TIP line when you hear of something and call it in.

The number is 1-800-652-9093.

It is simple and easy. I even call the number when I hear something second hand because it at least gives the DNR a heads up and they can check it out. It is completely anynomous and you don't have to worry about anyone finding out. I have called in people that I know well that are doing stuff illegally. It is the only way people are going to learn. They won't like paying a fine and or getting their license taken away for three years.

Meat hogging happens way more than you think.

Avid

Went out for the first time in at least a month. I hit up Swan and the crappies are hitting. The sad part is there is no size to them. I ended up with a limit but I made sure I kept everything around 10in. I bet I caught about 40 fish and measured every one. Otherwise a lot of 8's and 8 1/2's. Fun though, alot of action. I wanna get out on Cedar and try and chase come crappies around along with Greenleaf. Any more news on those two?

I second that avid. I hear and seen alot of it too. Call them in, who cares if they get mad they are stealing from all of us.

I agree also. When people hear the bite is on we have all kinds of "Weekend Warriors" come to the local lake's and HOARD fish. Doesn't anyone practice catch and release anymore? I keep, clean what my wife and I will eat in the next few days and thats it. Also, do people not understand that when you drive on the lake you go SLOW..... I had some idiots pass me the other day and it bet they were going 40 mph towards the landing. The landing was good and now the ice broke at the shore because of the wave you make when driving fast on the ice. Drive SLOW on the lakes (10mph), its that simple to keep the the landings smooth and safe for others.

Just got approved so I'm a new poster.

Went past Lake Willie yesterday & saw 3-4 houses out there. I wonder how the fishing was yesterday on Willie. Anyone know? We drove past Star Lake also & WOW it looked like a city out there! Saw full size pickups & allot of 4wheelers on other lakes too. What is the slush situation like? I heard that when you drill your holes the water rushes up. Does it still do that? As you can tell I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to going on frozen water.(can't swim) But with all the activity I saw yesterday I just may have to consent to go with the hubby.

Haha stupid idiots and driving 40 MPhs I hate that. You know what else I hate DUMB people driving snowmobiles 5 yards from your iceholes when they have 590 yards to drive. Cocky ignorant arrogant highschool kids. Hmm i don't care if they do it once but freaking 4 times in a half hour. Drives me up the way, so I feel your pain about the stupid drivers.

PLEASE PLEASE PEOPLE BE CONSIDERATE!!!!!

i fished willie last tuesday, only got a few small perch. ice was ok. i tried ripley and star, some slush under the top crust. i havent had alot of luck in that area so far this year. i will keep trying tho

• 2 weeks later...

Was wondering if anyone has drivin by Stahl lake at all, if anyone been out there yet, if so is it driveable or better off with snow machine?

I was out there earlier in the year, but not since the rain storm/deep freeze got rid of the snow and slush.

Was by there today and there were a couple of trucks on the ice. They were on the east side for spearing, not sure what the rest of the lake is like.

Iceseeker

Hi everyone,

I made it out Friday night and Saturday.

Friday night was frigid. I took the portable out and went for some crappies after work. I got to the lake about 4:30pm. I drove out to my spot and found out that no one had fished in the area this year from what it looked like. I was thinking to myself that this will be either good or bad.

I cleaned out the holes and flipped the house over. I put the vexilar down and turned it on and bam, fish showing up already. I preceded to catch about 15 crappies in the next 1.5 hour. The biggest was about 10.5 inches.

I was using a red forage minnow tipped with maggots. These fish were suspended and when you got close they would rise up and smack it.

It was a fun outing, but the cold makes things interesting.

On Saturday,

I hit up a lake and decided to sight fish sunfish. I was in about 9 ft of water. I spent about 8 hours staring down a spear hole picking off sunfish. My cousin and I caught about 30 keepers. It was fun to do. One trick that worked for me was to use a shiner minnow and keep it off the bottom about 3 feet. I would jig it up and down a few times and the sunfish would come in. They seemed to be attracted to it. I saw one nice walleye, but he wasn't interested in biting.

It was a productive day on the water, but man did my neck hurt after that.

Avid

Been getting good action in deep water(30-40ft)for crappie and bluegills on area lakes not named pelican. Move shallower after 4pm (20-30ft) for crappie in the evenings. Tiny jigs with waxies or euro's. Avoid the zoo on pelican.

Went to my normal hot spot on Buffalo this weekend and action had slowed. Managed a few slab crappies and a ton of little perch. Most perch were too small to keep. Left with a meal of fish but was on the lake for 36+ hours.

Started away from the crowds but by Sunday morning about 8 houses had moved in around me. Guess that is the way the game is played.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out yesterday to a smaller lake and did okay on the crappies. All the crappies were caught between 5:30-6:15 PM, the only problem was they were all in the 7-8 inch range. Drilled a lot holes all over the lake during the day and only found a few small perch and sunfish until 5:30 when the crappies started biting. Was fishing in 15 FOW and about a foot off the bottom. Many lookers throughout the day, some even coming up 4-5 or more feet off the bottom to look, and only to go back down without even touching it.

Snuck out this morning before the storm and found fish to be very active as i was hoping they would be. Pulled onto the lake at 6:30am pulled off at 7:35am with a limit of nice crappies! I could only fish with one rod as the crappies were racing up from the bottom to hit my jig on the way back down! Been a while since i had fishing like that, always fun !

Is anyone going out to Big Lake this afternoon or tomorrow at all??? I'm finally in town at the inlaws in Princeton and am looking to get out fishing

25 fish filled the board. Top 5 were northerns biggest was 3.5, rest were small perch, bass, crappies and sunnies. A female was top fisher, got to go home with a nice 6X14 wheeled house. Top kid in kids contest was a 9 year old girl. The females ruled the day!

... Top kid in kids contest was a 9 year old girl. The females ruled the day!

Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. Teach your daughter to fish and she skunks you in the local contest. Made me proud when she said..."Dad, it's ok, I can lip this one."

• 4 weeks later...

Fishing I was told was still going last weekend on Pelican. Not sure of conditions on getting out this weekend and after the snow. Slush was pretty deep getting on and off I was told. Sunnies of size are coming in small groups (3-4) at a time and they are around the 8-8.5" mark. You can get a limit but jigging is key and focus on the ones that comes after the first ones come threw is what I was told. No crappies just sunnies as of last weekend. Just use bobbers and small ice jigs. Waxies or soft micro plastics were working. LOL one report of corn being the hot trick if everything else fails. wink

Good luck to anyone going

full-18875-7132-taxidermy2003.jpg

Was out fishing today and caught nine crappies and let six smaller ones go, nothing fast but a steady bite. Wrmer weather next week will nice for fishing these late season crappies.

• The title was changed to Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports