• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports

No, Avid, We haven't eaten any of the fish we kept. We kept 3 'eyes, 2 crappies and 3 perch. I was looking forward to frying them this weekend, but now ????? We've eaten fish from that lake in the past and they were fine, but I haven't dined on any this year-yet. Also, we didn't notice any strange smells while on the water last Sun. and the water wasn't bad, with only a very little top scum near the shoreline by the access when we arrived.

Bon Appetit! Hope the fish will be ok. Reminds me of an old Rodney Dangerfield comment that his wife was such a bad cook that they prayed after they ate. Will report on the "outcome". Enjoy the weekend.

Good morning everyone!

What a beautiful evening on the water last night. I hit up my 21st Minnesota lake yesterday. I have only fished two lakes more than once this summer. Since I bought my boat I have been trying to learn as many lakes possible. It has been a great summer. Last night did not disappoint either.

We had strong NW winds for a couple days, so I decided to fish the SE and south side of the lake. This lake is a virtual bowl with very little structure and a max depth of 11 feet. One thing that I have noticed on these types of lakes is that there is a shallow break line usually in the 4 to 8 foot range. This is where the sharpest break will be in the whole lake. The water clarity is usually poor in these lakes and so the fish are using these shallow breaks to feed. Especially with a wind blowing in.

I start with a search lure and troll up and down the break until I make contact with fish. I then make a visual mark and keep going. Last night I picked up a crappie and marked the spot where I caught it. I then continued on. I didn't have another bite so I decided to go back to the area and work it slowly with a jig and minnow. I found the fish in a very small area of about 25 yards between two docks.

I ended picking up about 20 crappies in an hour and a half that were 8-10 inches. I also had one 12 inch walleye. I caught most in 5-6 feet.

I tried focusing on walleyes after that, but did not get any more. It was a fun night and I can't wait to have a fish fry tonight.

Avid

hi all slow weekend for me hit one lake for 4 hours nothing. then hit another one got 4 nice perch in the 8-9 inch range not huge but made me happy. and a small bass found most of the fish very shallow but had a great time. i'm pretty sure the fishing will get better

Did pretty well on crappies on Sunday. It is obvious the fish are taking this weather as a huge advantage and cuddling up in the weeds. I will be heading out tomorrow evening, if anyone wants a ride. I will be out for about 2-3 hours so it will be a short but fruitful trip (hopefully).

I made it out after work tonight and had a blast.

I picked up some true slab crappies. I had two over 12 inches. I also caught some eaters as well. I then casted for walleyes before dark and caught and released seven in a half hour. The biggest was 14 inches. I can't wait till I get a hog this fall.

I won't make it out all weekend. I am glad I went tonight.

Avid

Those of you that haven't put your boat away need to get out on your favorite walleye lake in the next few weeks. The bite is picking up and I am hearing of fish being caught on almost all of the area lakes. Fish shallow on low water clarity lakes and go deeper on the clear lakes with over 4 foot clarity. Find weed lines or any other type of structure, rocks, trees, etc.

Good luck and release the fish over 20 inches unless you are going to mount. Oh yeah make sure you remember the 1 fish over 20 inches limit. It is surprising how many fishermen don't know this rule.

Good luck!

Avid

It was a rough afternoon on the water for me yesterday.

The lakes are up a couple feet from all the rain and the fish seemed finicky. I talked to a few other anglers and they said the same thing. I caught one nice perch and that was about it. I had a few small walleyes, but they were only 8-10 inches.

It was a rough three hours, but the weather was beautiful. I am guessing by mid-week the bite will be back on. It could be the lakes I was on.

Did anyone else have any luck?

Avid

hi avid, and all. i got 2 fair size pike on sat. then sunday i took my sisters whole family out we were out 7 hours had 2 sunnies, 1 baby pike and a bass. i think your right this water is really up i think it will get better like you said. good luck all

I was out Saturday,it was very tough,1 smallmouth for me and 1 largemouth for my daughter.

Waiting for better fishing.

Saturday was a long day on the water.

I started at 7:00 am and fished until 6:30pm. We fished two lakes and very little success finding the bigger walleyes. We caught 13 walleyes, but the biggest was 13.5 inches. We caught some slab crappies up to 11 inches, which was the highlight of the day.

I concentrated my efforts in the 6-14 feet, but in hindsight I should of looked for flowing water or tried deeper. I am hoping to find those pigs.

It is too bad that I will be farming hard core the next couple weeks. My fishing time will be cut.

Good luck out there!

Avid

What a difference a new day (and a new lake) makes. Tried a lake on Friday morning and had zero luck....not even a bite.

Figured it wasn't worth heading back to that lake that had burned me a few times this summer so I tried another I hadn't been on in a while and had lots of action. Granted the fish were small, it definitely kept me busy. Overall I ended up with 17 walleye, a couple of perch, three crappie, and a largemouth bass. All except two of them came in a two hour window between 9am and 11 on a deep (18'+) piece of mid-lake structure. As soon as I could drop my jig down there was another waiting and I burned through a scoop of minnows in short order. Although they were small it was fun to have that rapid fire action.

The walleye were 10-13 inchers except for one donkey that was 24" and all shoulders. When it first flashed at the surface I could have sworn it was 8+ for how thick it was. I would have like to have weighed it because it was shaped like a football but the scale was at home. Took a quick picture or two after a measurement and sent it on it's way. Maybe I'll hook up with her again this winter. smile

Anyone else catching some sunfish in 4-7feet of water, all the reports tell me to go deep. Not having any luck there, but shallow seem to be doing pretty well. Lots of sorting but the end results are good.

Mid 50's.

LMIT, if you up the size of your bait (fatheads or 3" Gulp!), you will get some nice crappies where you were at. In the past 2 weeks, we have put 30+ in the freeze, very near your location.

I have been out daily since last Friday, and the fish are definately hooking up. In the past 5 days, I fished Collinwood, Belle, Stella. Every lake had a decent bite, although different species.

PS: Collinwood clarity was horrible last Sat. The sunnies I caught were beautiful and big. I think the walleyes will start popping once the goo gets off the surface. I am fairly certain, the fish think it is nightime all day, since there is no way the light can penetrate it.

My location?

I dug through the pail of fatheads to try some larger ones just to keep the crappies off! They just suck on the minnow since they're smaller in size and are no more than pests when looking for the bigger walleye, or wallye in general for that matter.

Limit out,

It sounds like bass doctor is on to you.

It gets me fired up to hear the good reports. I have been farming with my dad, and it is driving me nuts that I can't get on the water. Hopefully we wrap things up this weekend and I can get out again.

It will be pretty scarce on the lakes as far as people now until ice up. Pheasant hunting and deer hunting is getting real close and many guys have switched gears.

The walleye bite is picking up on the rivers as well. That usually means fast action with little pressure.

Were the crappies good size?

Avid

Yes. No fish were under 10 inches, up to 13". I did run into a pile of crappies on Stella, all were about or under 9" and released. But it was fun, every other cast you had a bite at least. Good to see another year class is coming up.

My next lake to hit up on Fri/Saturday is Minne Belle. Bounce the rocks in 20 feet with the camera and see what I can come up with. Crappies/pannies may be in 10-12 by then also.

That is where I am seeing them as well. About 8 ft next to deeper water on one side and shallow weeds on the other side. Lake temps are still over 60 degrees in the metro area. After next week It is going to drop and water temps should be in the low 50s

I've been getting some nice sunfish mixed in with crappies, roaming open water in the 16'-20' range. Not in the deep holes yet but locating nearby.

Good morning!

Yesterday was a great day. I was able to get out yesterday morning for a little while. I pulled four really nice 'n' fat walleyes. I had a 18.25, 17,16 and a 14.5. I also had a nice pike and perch. Those were the healthiest fish I have pulled all year.

I then shot a couple roosters and help my dad finish farming. It was a busy and fantastic fall day. I love this time of year.

Avid

It was something special. I took some pictures and wrote about it in my outdoor journal. I will remember that day for a long time.

Avid

I just got back from my lunch hour and plucked a 14 inch walleye during my lunch. I also had one perch.

That was a nice break for the day.

Avid

Did anyone go fishing last weekend?

I was out in SD pheasant hunting. It was awesome.

I am ready to smack some late season eyes!

Avid

Hi all!!

Well I managed to get out on Saturday. I bundled up and headed out Saturday morning and was fishing by 8:00 am. I had heard a tip of some nice walleyes and giant bass being caught. In the first half hour on the water, the tip paid off. My cousin boated a 19 inch largemouth that was obese. In the next ten minutes he latched into a slob 28 inch walleye. I am guessing she was close to 8.5 to 9 pounds by the look of her belly. Both fish were released after photos. We caught a few pike after that, but it slowed way down. I had to wait until 5:00 that afternoon to catch another 18 inch walleye. We also caught a few crappies mixed in the day. The day started hot, but cooled way off after that.

I hope I can get out again with the boat, but deer hunting is this weekend and who knows what mother nature does after that.

Water temps were about 45-48 degrees.

Avid

Has anyone been fishing lately? Since my bro and I have "retired" from deer hunting, we decided to go fishing this past Sat. It was windier than expected-and less fruitful than expected. Despite our best efforts, we didn't catch one fish. Only had a couple of half-hearted bites. But, at least we weren't alone out there and still had a good time-probably much better than if we had watched the Gophers! Ouch!!!

That was most likely the last open water venture of the 2010 season. It wasn't our worst season, unfortunately, but it sure wasn't our best.

Anxiously waiting for solid ice. Enjoy the week!

ps Didn't hear much shooting on Sat. except for an occas. burst of 4-5 shots. The squirrels must be running faster these days!!

Hey Jmg!

I haven't been out lately, but I have noticed a few people shore fishing Lake Marion and the rivers.

I spent most of the day winterizing my boat yesterday. It was a sad day, but she is clean and will be ready for next spring's crappie run.

I had a great summer with my new boat and look forward to another open water season next year.

I suppose I need to get the ice fishing stuff out now and fire up the ice auger.

Avid

• The title was changed to Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports