• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports

I would bet there are sunken trees on just about every lake around here.

You just have to be lucky to find one that holds fish.

hi all what a hot weekend was on stella for 5 hours on sat. got a trolling moter and learnig how that works trolled lindy rigs all the time the sunnies? i believe were stealing my crawlers. sun went to jennie i was the only one there not a good sign. hee hee, trolled cranks and spinners nothing then later went to washington got the biggest bullhead i ever caught. not an eye but fun just a slow weekend does any one know were there is a rock pile on washington. some old guys were talking about it in the bait shop but didnt really say where thanks

Mr. Pike,

The little perch and sunfish can be tough on crawlers. Try using medium size leeches and hook them in the neck instead of the sucker. The neck is tougher and harder for them to pull off.

I like to give the fish a little line after I get a bite and then slowly point your rod tip back towards the fish and then slowly reel the line in and when you feel the weight of fish sweep your rod forward. Fish on!!!

I was out on Sunday and was slow trolling for bluegills. I did find some nice bluegills on a mid-lake hump made of rubble or gravel. I worked it slowly with a lindy rig and medium leech. I caught about 25 bluegills. The biggest was 8.25 inches and they averaged about 7.75 inches. It wasn't much of a hump. It is surrounded by 11-13 feet of water and comes up to about 8.8 feet at the top.

A couple of them coughed up baby crappies. I tried finding some crappies and wasted about 3 hours of my life. They were not having it.

Later.

Avid

thanks again avid i'll get this fishing down yet. got my walleye book and reading it like a one armed wallpaper hanger. hee hee

Mr. Pike,

It will take a lot of time on the water, but you will get it down. Up until this year, I didn't have a decent boat to fish with. So I am trying to learn all the tricks to controlling the boat and staying on fish. I never gave a lot of credit to the guy running the boat, until I had to run my own and try to fish at the same time. I gained a whole new respect for my buddy that I fish with a lot.

Two of the biggest keys to being a good fishermen are to find the fish and then staying on them. Usually getting them too bite isn't the hard part.

If something isn't working for you on the water, stop and think about what you are doing and try to fix it. Too many guys, including my dad, when they go fishing, they do the same thing whether it is working or not. Then when they go home empty handed, they simply say the fish weren't biting. My point is that you have to be willing to try different things to be consistently successful on the water.

Avid

Hey All,

I just moved to Hutch for school and just started fishing the Hutch area yesterday. I live on the little crow river just downstream of the rock dam. I took the canoe out yesterday and and was tossing top water buzz baits and small beetle spinners. I didn't catch anything. Today, I went out to the rock Dam and caught one small largemouth on a white beetle spin between the rows of rocks and saw a bunch of carp surfacing.

I am mostly shore fishing and would greatly appreciate any spots/baits/tackle to try on the rivers or lakes. And if anyone want to fish together let me know too. Attached is a pic from this winter on the Sol Duc river in washington. 15lb steelhead.

Cheers,

JJ

full-21474-156-p1010149.jpg

Good morning!

Saturday was a frustrating day. I had gotten up at 4:30 am so I could be at the access a half hour before sunrise. I checked radar before I left and it looked like it was going to rain, but only for a half hour or so. The next thing I know, we screwed around for four hours waiting for the rain to stop.

Then when it did stop, the winds picked up and blew like crazy. Fishing was tough. We caught a few bluegills and bass lindy rigging with leeches along a weedline.

We then wanted to catch a few crappies and almost got blanked. We had one crappie and a few sunfish. The highlight of the day was a 16.5 inch largemouth that pulled like crazy. I am thinking the weather played a big factor. Did anyone have else have the same issues Saturday afternoon?

Have a good one.

Avid

hi avid i had the same issues sat. i would get short strikers all day sunday was worse i shouldnt have been out 7 hours got very hot got one crappie oh well have a good one

Good Morning!

Talked to my brother last night and we both agreed that our "Fishin Itch" needs to be scratched this up-coming weekend. Since neither of us has been able to get out to the Hutch area for a few weeks, we were wondering if anyone would extend a list of three possible lakes where we might be able to pick up some 'eyes and/or decent panfish without having to powerwash all the equipment afterwards to get all the green goo off. Had thought about Belle, Stella or Marion, but any other ideas would be appreciated, since our real first choice, Collinwood, seems to be a lost cause, at least till late Fall. Any help, as always, would be appreciated.

STAY COOL!

I would try Waconia, Francis or Sylvia. The lakes around here have gotten really green. Marion has a nasty smell to it and has algae blooms floating everywhere. I don't know about Belle or Stella.

Thanks for the info, Avid. Hopefully, the lake conditions will improve quickly when we get out of these "dog days" of Summer. Good luck to you, if you get out this weekend!

Good evening,

This is my first fishing report on here so excuse me if I am a little nervous.

My daughter and I went to a local lake last night for a few hours of fishing,a short while in she had a fish break the hook on her jig[that jig caught a lot of fish for her for a few years now].We then tried for bass in the shallows,I had one on with the second cast but operator error let that one get away without "a good lipping".It was then my daughters turn she landed a bass and I followed up with a decent one of my own. We then decided to troll for walleyes and if she did'nt stick a 16.5" walleye as the sun was dipping behind the trees. All and all not an overly productive night but a beautiful evening bonding with my daughter.

No need to be nervous. Great report and it sounds like it was a great trip with your daughter. Even if you don't set the world on fire you can't beat the time you had out with your kids on the water. Thanks for the report!

Good morning!

I think we all welcomed the change of temps and low humidity, but when the only day you can go fishing all week is the day after a huge weather change like yesterday, you are looking at a challenge.

My last two outings have been more than frustrating. I fish in a light Alumcraft and the wind likes to play games with me. I worked some weedlines yesterday with leeches and I found a lot of turned off fish. I did have a few decent bites with one broken line, but it was very uneventful. I caught four small bluegills and that was it in three hours.

I think all good fishermen get humbled once in awhile, but I hate waiting all week to go fishing and then getting punched in the gut like that.

I am looking forward to getting out again, but next time I get weather like that, I might just stay home and tie snells.

Avid

Good morning!

I'm back!! The weather has been consistently hot and the bite was on this weekend.

I had a fun weekend of fishing. I hit up a local lake Saturday morning and casted a # 5 silver blue rattle trap. My cousin was casting a #8 silver X-Rap. We boated about 16 walleyes, but most were around the 12 inch range. It was some fast action and fun to do. We fished about 3 hours. The best depth seemed to be about 6 ft.

Yesterday I did a little driving and hit up a crappie bite. I started fishing about 11:30 am and struggled the first half hour and then moved to try another spot. The move paid off. I fished a breakline in 6-9 ft of water and caught just about every kind of fish. I caught my limit of crappies and had 4 walleyes. The biggest was 19 inches. I also had small mouth and pike as well. The size of those was small. The crappies were 8.5 to 10 inches. They fell to a green jig and a minnow. I left the lake about 4:00.

It was a fun weekend of fishing and I suspect fishing to only get better as the water starts to cool down for the fall. I can't wait.

Avid

I very rarely get out fishing during the week, but was fortunate to get out for a couple hours last night.

My target was the almighty walleye. My strategy was casting rattle traps along a weed line.

It wasn't fast and furious, but was steady. I caught a fish about every 30 casts. They weren't huge. I ended up with 6 walleyes in the 12-13 inch range, 1 small pike and 2 bass that were about 14 inches. It was a beautiful night with a big orange moon and nobody on the lake but me. I thank the good lord for those opportunities.

I was casting a # 5 silver with a red breast rattle trap.The 5-7ft range was the ticket.

Avid

Sounds like you have been on the fish AA.

With it getting closer to the fall bite, things can only get better.

My Buddy and I we out Saturday, got some nice eyes, several 14inchers, couple 15-16's - 1 17 3/4 - 1 18 1/4, lots of 10 to 13 inchers. A few nice Bass, some fair sized perch and several 2-4 lb snakes. All came from the soutwest bank in 4 to 8 FOW, Hit it again yesterday, not nearly as good, several eyes, a Bass, 1 snake, no panfish any where!

It looks like turnover will probably be happening pretty soon. With the nice cold rain last night and with cool nights coming with heavy winds, it will probably happen very soon.

I am looking forward to a nice weekend of fishing and relaxing. I hope the bite is on.

I can't wait.

I have a real hard time believing that turnover will happen anytime soon. Turnover doesn't start until water temp are in the low 40's so I would not think that would happen until at least October.

I have done some reading on tunrover and all it takes is for the surface water to get colder than the water below the thermocline. The process does speed up when you have heavy winds and cold temps.

I agree that it won't happen in the next week or so, but maybe two weeks if are weather stays like it is today.

It sounds like a decent weekend to be on the water. God willing, I will be out Sunday and Monday. Good luck out there and have a safe weekend.

Avid

Good morning,

I made it out Sunday and Monday. I hit two lakes on Sunday. What a nice day out there. The water temps are coming down nicely and fishing seemed pretty good. On Sunday we boated three walleyes, 4 pike, 20+ crappies, 2 smallmouth, 20+ sunfish, and a couple perch. The biggest eye was 17 inches and the biggest pike was maybe 4 pounds.

I was using a creek chub most of the morning and only caught pike. My cuz caught the 17 inch eye on a lindy rig and crawler. The crappies came on a jig and minnow. Almost all our fish came on the breakline from 5-11 feet. The crappies were really shallow and in 5 feet. The walleyes and pike were in about 11 feet.

The sunfish were caught along lily pads in about 5 feet of water with leeches and bobbers.

Yesterday I hit up a lake by myself. I was the only boat on the lake most of the day. I boated 7 walleyes but most were small. I did have some nice 10 inch perch and one catfish. The biggest eye was 14 inches. Most of the fish came off a wind blown rocky point in 5-7 feet of water. I was using a jig and minnow. This was the first time I fished this lake this year and was a learning trip. I now have four spots that kick out walleyes.

The wind was a little tough to deal with this weekend, but it wasn't too bad.

Anyways, it was a nice weekend of fishing and hopefully I can get into some big fish soon.

Avid

Good morning,

I made it out Sunday and Monday. I hit two lakes on Sunday. What a nice day out there. The water temps are coming down nicely and fishing seemed pretty good. On Sunday we boated three walleyes, 4 pike, 20+ crappies, 2 smallmouth, 20+ sunfish, and a couple perch. The biggest eye was 17 inches and the biggest pike was maybe 4 pounds.

I was using a creek chub most of the morning and only caught pike. My cuz caught the 17 inch eye on a lindy rig and crawler. The crappies came on a jig and minnow. Almost all our fish came on the breakline from 5-11 feet. The crappies were really shallow and in 5 feet. The walleyes and pike were in about 11 feet.

The sunfish were caught along lily pads in about 5 feet of water with leeches and bobbers.

Yesterday I hit up a lake by myself. I was the only boat on the lake most of the day. I boated 7 walleyes but most were small. I did have some nice 10 inch perch and one catfish. The biggest eye was 14 inches. Most of the fish came off a wind blown rocky point in 5-7 feet of water. I was using a jig and minnow. This was the first time I fished this lake this year and was a learning trip. I now have four spots that kick out walleyes.

The wind was a little tough to deal with this weekend, but it wasn't too bad.

Anyways, it was a nice weekend of fishing and hopefully I can get into some big fish soon.

Avid

What were the water temps you were seeing?

Avid, you were right on with your thermometer readings. My brother and I fished Lake M----n on Sun. and found the water temps to ave. 68 degrees. The drop in temps seems to have inspired the fish to bite. We had a great time, esp. w/ 'eyes-the largest being a 22". Great day, great company and great outing.

I enjoy your updates. Good Fishin' to all!!

I have fished that lake a couple times in the last month and have had some success as well, but I tried to eat a few and it was disgusting. The fish stunk and tasted exactly like the lake smelled. I hope the cooler temps fix this.

Did you try eating any?

Avid

• The title was changed to Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports