• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River Fishing Report

Just got back yesterday from 5 days straight days of fishing. Reports were mixed everyday. Some guys sayin single digit fish numbers for the day and others sayin 60-70 fish. Tuesday we were only out for a few hours but we managed 6 walleyes, wed 24, thurs 30, fri 52, and sat 27. Half of sat fish were in the slot. We use golf clickers so those numbers were accurate.:) We fished an average of 8-10 hours a day the other days.

We did great for quality of fish, lots in the slot, biggest of the trip was 28.25 inches. The weather was cold, windy and snowy, at times it was brutal. This was my 8th straight spring up there and my usual hotspots werent very hot. We prolly tried 15 spots, different presentations and everything you could think of. Ultimately we caught 90% of our fish in 1 spot and 10% in another spot. Anchoring was not producing much, we slip drifted 90% most of the time. Fri we drifted the same spot all day and was by far our best day. If you found the fish STAY THERE! lol All and all a good trip, already looking forward to next year!

Fished sturgeon from 8-3 today. Launched at Frontier and fished multiple spots up to Vidas.

Had one sturgeon on but didn't land him. Caught 2 world-class suckers and a 18" and 24" walleye on night crawler and frozen shiner globs.

Nice day on the water weather-wise, but it was slow overall. Saw 2 sturgeon caught all day, and one of them was around 30". Chatted with multiple groups at the landing and reports were similar, with most not catching any. One group had been there for 3 days and hadn't landed a sturgeon.

Water temp was 38-39 degrees.

Got back home tonight after fishing sturgeon Friday and Saturday. Caught walleyes, pike and a redhorse on Friday near Vidas, then Saturday hit the sturgeon just north of Baudette. Landed 8 total with a 60", 51", 43" and smaller fish. Saw lots of big fish come in.

full-711-32329-fbbannersturgeon800.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Left home Thur afternoon driving out of the winter storm. When we hit hwy 11 the roads were dry and watched the sun set as we drove West.

Fished out of Vidas landing on Fri. Got on the water at 7 AM with only one rig in the parking lot. We hadn't seen the sun for for a while so the clear sky was a welcome site. The cold temps and wind we too familiar though. We set up in the deeper holes and not a sturgeon was landed by us but a few suckers were to be had. By 4 PM we had had enough.

Had a good meal and in bed early.

Up at 5 AM Sat morning, stepped outside the cabin and like hoped for, the wind had died over the night.

We decided to try Timber Mill landing. Never being on that water before so made our way down river looking for a spot to setup. A scoured out hole and current break next to bridge might be promising so we gave it a go but not for long. The bridge was blocking the sun and the train was an annoyance so pulled and looked for another spot.

Settled in on a spot a couple miles down river from the airport. It was the head of a hole in 30' of water. A slight breeze form the South kept us inline with the current and the drift sock dampened and tale wag. Seemed perfect as we watched our spread.

3 hours went by without a pick up but a few sturgeon landed in the stretch around us so we made short move. Within 30 minutes we boated our first sturgeon and the next 4 hours we boated 20 sturgeon. 55" was our biggest and we left at around 6 PM with the sturgeon still going in that spot. Made way too much penne pasta with meat sauce so made up a big bowl and dropped it off at Adrian's. Watched the conclusion to the capture of the terrorist then off to bed early again.

Sunday we were up at 5 AM. The wind was back and the forecast of rain/snow. No one objected to packing up and head for home where Thur/Fri snow was waiting to be removed from the driveway.

Well we spent 13 hours on the water Saturday with not a fish to show for it. Fished all the big holes (I think there were three or four) from Timbermill down past Wabonica where the ice was holding. Didn't see more than half a dozen fish caught the whole day, would have loved some of the luck you two posters above me had.

A couple more from Saturday, 2 miles north of Baudette. 51 and 43 inches. Surface Tension, I think we were just upstream from you.

full-711-32362-steveandjohnwithsturgeon.

full-711-32363-pauland43sturgeon.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

By all reports, the bite is TOUGH but Jim Uran and I were able to scratch out 6 sturgeon all from 4 pm to 8 pm. Found slack current where we only needed 3 oz or less to get to bottom, other places with the large groups of boats we needed 8 oz or more. If you think you're in a good spot, think moving only a small distance. The debris wasn't as bad in the slack current area as well. Size wasn't spectacular, but after being told that we should just turn around and go home from the bait shop, we'll take it as a productive day. It was quite demoralizing talking to a couple boats as we were launching to not get a bite in 2-3 days. Needless to say that the few boats from the spot we found were the last ones off the water :-) Our two biggest were 50"ers, but it was much better than the prognosis we were getting from the fisherman off the dock. I'm no longer a sturgeon virgin!

full-31888-32783-008.jpg

full-31888-32784-012.jpg

Where did you find blue sky this weekend. i didn't see the sun once or was that today

That was yesterday, Sunday, it was absolutely gorgeous... Heck of a day on the water, heck, it wasn't THAT great of a fishing day, but we made the most of it and definitely had some fun finding some fish. Popped Tyguy's sturj cherry, and really, it couldn't have been a better way to spend a day!

Here is a few more pics. I have a video I'm currently editing of our trip.

full-11084-32804-img_5886.jpg

full-11084-32805-img_5896.jpg

full-11084-32807-img_5889.jpg

full-11084-32808-img_5903.jpg

full-11084-32809-img_5904.jpg

I should have went west because it was Poor weather in pelland lol

and the fishing sucked too

Does anybody have any recent river current or clarity reports? Specifically in the Wheeler's Point area.

muddy on Sunday Vman!

Not sure what it looks like now but there was 2" of clarity then. And it took at least 6-8 oz of weight to hold bottom.

I know nobody has been walleye fishing out there lately but for people who have been on the river recently, any idea how heavy of a jig walleye guys are going to need out there this weekend (drifting, not anchored)

• 4 months later...

Any updates? Making a trip next week, interested to know what colors and spots are working better than others, thanks!

Pink and Pink/White have always been my go to up there. The bait stores and gas station in town sell what you need.

Any updates? Making a trip next week, interested to know what colors and spots are working better than others, thanks!

Gold/Gold pink, Glow white, pink, chart are my go to as well as the same colors in spoons like swedish pimples, Lindy Flyers and Tinglers.

just got back. fished around vidas. we caught 40-50 fish a day. i think we ended up with about 20-25 slot fish. alot of 22-23" fish. biggest of the week was a 24 1/2 and a 25 1/2.

pink and gold strobe jigs from tom's tackle with frozen shiners were the best producer out of everything we tried.

we had 3 spots that produced the best. one in 16' of water, 18' of water and 1 in 21 feet. so no rhyme or reason. the beginning of the week was better than the end. we really had to work for fish yesterday but 2 of us boated over 40 fish.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't remember a year that there wasn't open water at the Manitou, it's always open there. Steep drop and lots of current.

How long until Birchdale is open? Any reports on where the open water is? cool

We've had 62 days with below 0 temps since Dec. 5 including last night at -22. Although only a half dozen more lows below 0 are predicted at this point the next 6 weeks doesn't look all that promising if you put any stock in long range forecasts.

If we get warm enough temps in the next 4 weeks to slowly melt most of the 60+" of snow we have spring fishing has a chance. If I had to predict at this point I'd say another late spring and late ice out here. Maybe not record late but later than average.

We've had 62 days with below 0 temps since Dec. 5 including last night at -22. Although only a half dozen more lows below 0 are predicted at this point the next 6 weeks doesn't look all that promising if you put any stock in long range forecasts.

If we get warm enough temps in the next 4 weeks to slowly melt most of the 60+" of snow we have spring fishing has a chance. If I had to predict at this point I'd say another late spring and late ice out here. Maybe not record late but later than average.

your name justifies only that as a response, uffdapete!

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up to Nestor Falls for a week at a lodge from International Falls on May 20th and have couple extra days to get there. Any suggestions for some easy access shore fishing on Canadian side along the way at that time of the year? I'll be staying in a motel or 2 on the way there but no boat as flying in from Washington state and remaining budget is thin. Thanx

• The topic was unpinned