• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monticello-Mississippi River Fishing Report

Rainy River

LOL ebass brings a largie to a smallie fight grin Not doubting your friend has seen lots of smallies but if your not putting them on a board periodically it is pretty hard to claim 21" then back it up to boot. I personally leave measurements out of most things unless I have a pic on a board like Ebass has, then it keeps the doubters quiet. Theres no doubt there are decent smallies in this stretch but years of electro fishing from NSP and the DNR tell us that a 20" River Smallie is about as rare as my kids and wife listening to me grin

Ebass post your pic of that pig smallie you caught a couple years ago up river and people can guess the size.... it might open a couple eyes

Here ya go..............

A 20"er of mine from this year.

wp26161846_0f.jpg

And a 21,1/4"er courtosy of SH

wp5abfd2eb_0f.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I hear there are lottsa 23 inchers by your place Jim. grin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

That last one looks like 21 & 15/64ths! lol

Here ya go - a legit 21", or wait it was 22", could it be the elusive 23" under MSRD's dock? Nope, a hair over 20". My dumb arse didn't get a pic on the board though, so I could say it's a 21" (looks like it), but I'd get a beat down from the club with a club.

DSCF0010.jpg

Well given that my buddy has spent years guiding and working in the Boundary Waters, I think he knows what a smallie looks like. Yes he is a fisherman so you never can be 100%, but this is a guy who takes his smallies seriously. Thanks for your input though.

A guide that takes his smallies seriously and doesnt jump up and down yelling for a camera when catching a fish of that signifigance?? Just slides it back in the water...yep a 21" crazycrazy Thats what I love about this site, the fisherman on here are way to knowledgable to not put up the B.S flag when tall tales are told.

DANG, Ebass ....what a HOG shocked Thats the best looking brown fish ever! man if your ever on the Miss up my way let me know so I can follow you around and learn a few things wink

Ebass thats a real nice smallie. Thats what I've been chasing for years and hopefully sooner than later I will get one. Congrats on that catch man

Thanks fellas! I was just lucky that day. IC where do you fish the river? I've fished it from Wabasha all the way up to Aitkin. That is not a Monti pig though, that was further north. I don't fish Monti that often (once a year) because it's so busy.

but I'd get a beat down from the club with a club.

LOL...You mean the super secret smallie club? I hear they're nothin' but a bunch of anal fish measuring yahoos...

hey anyone! Im kinda new at fishing the mighty, and i don't have a boat i was wondering if you know of any good spots on shore!! I was out monday and caught some small smallies, but want to get into some cats! any help would be help!!! Thanks

The parks in Monti, or the Otsego park are both close if you live in Otsego, throw out a crawler with a heavy enough weight to keep it on the bottom and you will catch just about anyhting that swims in the river. If you are targeting cats only go to Ebners bait and get some suckers (fresh) and cut them into chunks (quarter the big ones half the small ones) throw it onto the hook and have about a 4-10" lead from your weight, use enough weight to hold bottom with out bouncing around (1-2oz usually) and you will get into cats at any of those locations.

Forgot to add, I usually only use the mid section of the cut sucker, but in a pinch the tail and the head work to, I think the spin in the current more and cause line twist though

I managed a 21" smallie in the Monti area last year - pics on this site somewhere on the same make of board as EB....smashed a senko wacky style in about 2 fow. Think it was around June 1st of last year or so. They are in there!

• 2 weeks later...

Went out last night and caught a total of 5

First three were 18 3/4, 19" and 19 3/4

I'll post pics later tonight in the Photo thread even though I need some work on holding them straight out instead of sideways durr. Real slow, but bigger fish this time. Water is REAL low at least a foot lower than a week or two ago. Took us about 30 minutes to get up to the RV park from Ellison all the while pinging off rocks...I mean BOULDERS

Still chasing that elusive 20"!!!!

Jakesbud, sounds like you did real good, what were you throwing at them?

IC, the only thing we ever throw is Buzzbaits.

I bring two rods, 1 with a Buzzer and 1 with a Plastic. And I have yet to use the rod with Plastics do to the fact that we always get them throwing Buzzbaits. Doesnt even matter what color either. All but 1 were caught within a foot of the shore too. We usually go out of Ellison Park, up river to almost the Power Plant and work our way back. We use a 14ft Lund so it's a little easier to get up river but we still hit rocks all the way til about the RV Park. Real slooooooow going to get there but it's worth it. River is real low right now. We usually fish the opposite side of the Landing. This was our slowest outing this year but by far the biggest bag. I gotta get the pics up, but like I said I apparently cant hold a fish straight because the pics are at an angle but you'll see what I mean later when I post them lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been catfishing in the monticello area lately?? Just wanted to hear reports?? Hopefully good cuz they havent been good from me.