• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turtle Lake Fishing Reports

chrismackmn

Agreed. Based on everyone iv talked to its been a lost cause this year. I only really like this year for pannies at late ice. It can be good once you can drive out which should be soon (if not already?)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skolfoppa

• Maximum12

• BizzityB

• dinomak

I gave it a shot again yesterday. Popped a few northerns in front of the landing by shanty town. Moved to the deepest hole on the lake late in the afternoon and found some crappies, but not big enough to bring anything home. Getting a vehicle on the lake is very easy, no big ruts at the landing. Yet!!!

I think I'm done with this lake for the season. Some dooshbag set his house up right next to me and was making fun of my house, calling it just a tarp. That's when I moved. Don't judge just shut up and fish and let others fish.

What an AHole. I have run into a few on that lake as well. One dooch almost ran over my portable with his pickup for no apparent reason.

I'm on Turtle quite a bit and have never had an issue with anyone on the ice. In fact, I met a guy a few weeks ago that pulled me out to one of my spots on his wheeler. Thanks again Arnie!

I have no doubt there are idiots out there. They just haven't found me yet. I generally keep a few hundred yard buffer from the nearest set-up. Let me get skunked in peace! Skol.

I just move to the other side of the lake. Fishing karma got him, blade on his auger broke. Left after 20 minutes.

Bite has just been way to slow out there. The crappie I got were on the smallest of the small crapp minnows, but had to work for em and no keepers.

Turtle lake is definately not the lake it used to be. It was a good lake two years ago with quality fish. This is another Metro lake that needs time to heal for a few years.

Dan,

I live on the South East side, and I was wondering where you were out. I see guys out just NW of the access. I'm also looking to get into some pike/crappies (any tips)

Was out there 2 nights ago. Same deal. Hit some crappies about as big as my hand and they were picky! Not to many perms out there this year not sure why? I know last year a lot go broken into. My buddies included. Smashed the door in but didnt get anything cause we empty it every night. Might be getting the big shack out tomorrow.

Cheers!

Unfortunately if it's walleyes your looking for your going to be SOL (compared to the past few years), since the DNR hasn't put anything but fry in there since 2004. They use to put quite a few fingerlings in their that made for a decent local fishery, but those days seem to be gone. Put a million fry in lake and you will catch one every once in a while, put ten thousand fingerlings in a lake and you'll have some decent fishing in two years. Too bad fingerlings cost too much to raise. Recession on Turtle???

I think its lost!! Usually fish turtle as much as I can. Last couple times out checked my hot spots and the usual spots that everyone fishes. I got some feedback from some people out there and got the same response. Little. I'm moving to a new lake I heard never gets fished and has been getting stocked for the last 6 years with fingerling and yearling. Gonna try it out.

Cheers!

I was out on Saturday and nobody I talked to caught more than one fish. My buddy and I got skunked. We marked some fish but couldn't get anything to commit.

FYI - Where we were fishing there was about 12 in of ice and I saw all kinds of full size pickups out there. Not thick enough for me to drive on yet.

CJH,

Where were you sitting? North or South End? I helped a buddy bring his shack out Saturday. I had my full size truck out but I was on 16 - 18 inches out there? Where is the 12? Like to steer away from there.

• 3 weeks later...

I said I was done with this lake, but the access is so convenient and not a soul out there. Stopped there yesterday for a couple of hours, the wind was brutal. Got a hit that flattned out the hook on my jig. A big sucker for bait. Switched over to heavy artillery and of course no hits after that. Easy fun couple of hours anyway.

Sorry BizzityB, didn't see your post until now. We were in the middle towards the west side on a break.

I am sure the ice is thicker by now.

This lake can be the dead sea sometimes!!!!

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if you could let me know if this is the Turtle Lake on the intersection of 35W and 694(NE coner). Just curious, I am getting a little bored on some of my usual lakes. I understand the fishing is slow there but I would like to have a change of scenery the upcoming nice Sunday afternoon. No tips needed I will study it myself. Thanks.

Yeah same lake. Northern fishing is picking up out there. My one tip-up from the same hole wen't up 7 times yesterday, managed to get 5 of the 7. Mixed sizes. Not sure if it was a full moon party or what, but a big mess of people grouped up along the SW shore.

Yeah same lake. Northern fishing is picking up out there. My one tip-up from the same hole wen't up 7 times yesterday, managed to get 5 of the 7. Mixed sizes. Not sure if it was a full moon party or what, but a big mess of people grouped up along the SW shore.

Thanks Dino, I think I will give it shot some time. Was not able to get out Sunday, see you out there sometime this week. I'll send a report when I am done.

If anyone here's about someone selling some old stick rods that they stole on turtle let me know I would love to take my stuff back. Who breaks into an ice shack for 15 really old stick rods! and leaves the heater and propane tank!

I am glad I don't leave any of my expensive stuff in there but now the walls look so naked!

check the local pawn shops. there are a few in Fridley and Columbia Heights.

Look at it this way, you now have an excuse to go buy some new ones.

sorry to hear about that bizzityb, it's almost sounding like a broken record, all these breakin reports. Sad, just sad.

I will let you know tomorrow. I was planning on spending most of the day on a seek and destroy mission. Expectations are low, but not hopeless. Skol.

If anyone here's about someone selling some old stick rods that they stole on turtle let me know I would love to take my stuff back. Who breaks into an ice shack for 15 really old stick rods! and leaves the heater and propane tank!

I am glad I don't leave any of my expensive stuff in there but now the walls look so naked!

Where abouts was your house. I did see a strange fellow out there last week on a day when nobody else was out there. He was walking around the lake looking for open holes and checking out peoples shacks. He came over to me and I asked him if he needed a couple holes drilled, he said no he found a open spear hole he was going to try. I had to leave so don't know what he did after that, but he didn't look quite right.

Other than that put a nice size sucker (hooked thru the back) on the tip-ups. Was working good for me out there last week.

House is on the North end in the bowl. We are moving it tonight. Been a dead see over there. Not sure where were gonna go yet but we will find something.

The night it got broken into had to of been Tuesday Night. Whoever it was fished 2 holes about 3 ft away from the shack what they didn't realize is they left tracks in the nice fresh snow!. You could see the footprints at each window looking in and they were in a car or small truck becuase the tire tracks were not very wide. They had a lock cutter so they must have done it before.

Dude that's messed up. If I find them I will be sure to pin them under my Silverado for you and give you a call. Some people just have no decency or respect.

Bizz- sorry to hear about the theft. I was on the sw side of the lake on Tues. There were only a few people out. Probably why they were so bold.

Slow day today. Brought a few through the hole but considering I drilled about 40 holes, nothing worth mentioning. Skol.

What's the park road like going from the main road to the landing. I had no problems on the lake but I had to make 4 runs getting up that hill in my car the other day.