• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turtle Lake Fishing Reports

chrismackmn

so you put up 6 posts yesterday on 6 different threads and all said the same thing.... basically, don't fish here because the bite is slow and there isn't any parking...... What's up with that?? Have you really fished all 6 of those lakes recently or do you just enjoy the negativity??

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skolfoppa

• Maximum12

• BizzityB

• chrismackmn

Hahaha...I saw that too! I saw his comment how ALL the muskie are gone from Bald Eagle so I had to say something, then I realized he said similar things on 5 other metro lakes. "Water is warm, fishing was slow, fish went deep, no parking, don't fish it". I don't know for sure but maybe he was just trying to get his name on the Top Posters Today list on the left hand side.

Sometimes people will put up a bad report on a lake hoping that pressure will be reduced. Really, the best thing is to say nothing at all if the intent is to reduce pressure.

Sometimes people will put up a bad report on a lake hoping that pressure will be reduced. Really, the best thing is to say nothing at all if the intent is to reduce pressure.

Yeah, I could see that too. Agreed that the best way to reduce pressure, is to leave the lake's thread quiet.

• 4 months later...

Anyone been on the Hard water this year? Last I heard the snow really messed the ice up? Just checking to see if anyone has been out.

Thanks

What cracked me up was last year I talked to a guy who told me the lake he was going out on 'froze out' last year-there he was suited up, dragging a sled for 100 yrds to spend his evening on a lake that he wants people to believe is dead!

I was out there on Saturday. The ice is very slushy the first 100+ yards. We were in about 8-9 feet of water a couple hundred yards from the boat launch and the ice was 10 inches: 6-7 of good ice and 3-4 of white ice. We got 2 pike and saw a bunch of sunnies. We had a big carp and a 30"+ pike roll through the hole, but they did not stop at the bait at all. The water was very clear so it was like looking in an aquarium.

Got out last night BE CAREFULL!!! out here took a spin around the lake on my sled Very Slushy!!. Took the GPS out stopped at a couple spots and ventured at deep water drilled about 20 holes on the way out I found a consistant 4-5 inches of clear ice with about 6 inches of white slush [PoorWordUsage] on top but that doesn't meen its safe and its not a fun walk there is at least 8 inches of snow on the lake plus slush. Good Luck Stay safe!

• 2 weeks later...

What is the ice depth? I noticed some people driving out there but I didn't see what size vehicle. I have a smaller SUV and was wondering if I could drive on. It didn't look like anyone was on the north end of the lake. Is there something I should know about going up on that end?

Thanks

A buddy texted me from the lake just now. he drove his car out there and says there is 18" of ice. Had one northern on the ice.

I fished the SW side of the lake today. There was 8" of blackice w/ 4-5" of white ice on top of that. My truck will stay parked at the landing for another week. Skol.

I walked out yesterday and caught two Northerns. Both were released. Also got into some panfish action as well. All were released as well. Fun day... Fish seems to be biting decent.

I have been on the lake twice this year and both times we went in the morning (7-11) We got a couple of northerns both times, and could see lots of panfish the first time out,but could not get them to bite. We set up in 8-10 feet of water a couple hundred yards from the boat landing. There were 4-5 perminant/spearing houses out there last week and we set up in that general area both times as that is where we found a nice sand to weed transition.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped by Turtle on Saturday afternoon just to see what was going on. More houses than I've ever seen on the lake. Anyone want to let us know how the bite is???

It has a good Crappie bite right now mixed in with a pike here n there if you target em. Great lake to take the kids out for Crappie fishing.

Back in college, Turtle Lake was my favorite night fishing crappie lake. Once the sun went down, the lake always produced good numbers of decent sized crappie. As a side note, the bass fishing on this lake is amazing during the open water season. It used to be totally C&R for bass, I dont know if that is still the case.

Yes the C&R for any bass is still on. Haven't been out there yet this hard water season. There are good numbers of bass yes, but no size yet... Might be out there this weekend to give it a try. Anyone else planning on going out?

• 2 weeks later...

Can you park your car here and fish at night? or do they have a gate? i read where park is closed 1/2 hour after sunset?