• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turtle Lake Fishing Reports

chrismackmn

Mississippi, when we catch a 13-14" bass that's a "Turtle" bass no matter what lake we catch it in.

I'd bet that over the years 75% of the bass we've caught have been within an inch of 13". Did catch one at almost 19" a few years back, but there are a lot of average bass in the lake.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skolfoppa

• Maximum12

• BizzityB

• chrismackmn

Besides what Maximum12 stated, I've also noticed that the bass at Turtle have large heads and skinny bodies when you get the "larger" ones.

It's unbelievable. I don't think I have ever seen it so shallow. If you get a chance, check out Snail lake down the road. The water is so low that I don't think a guy could land a boat. Luckily turtle was just deep enough to get the boat off of the trailer.

I went by Snail Lake today and the boat ramp is completely unusable. There is a water filled hole at the end of the boat ramp. There is a sand bar about 20 feet past the end of the ramp with only a few inches of water covering it. The only way you could launch a boat at Snail lake right now is if you carried the boat from your vehicle to the beach.

Turtle was low yesterday but people were still launching smaller boats.

• 1 month later...

Anyone been on Turtle Lake lately?

There were some posts in late May about the launch being really shallow, wondering how it is now, & if anyone has any recent bass or pike reports. We'll be out Sunday AM, looing forward to getting out on metro waters for the first time in a while!

Haven't been there, but I know a shallow launch and it's shallower now than it was a few weeks ago. Drought sux

Max, the launch is shallow, but doable.... but the rock bar out from shore is really becoming an issue. You can get across in most fishing boats, but you need to pick your spots. People have stacked rocks above the surface in a couple spots. There are other rocks that you'll bottom out the boat with. You'll want to drift across with the motor trimmed out of the water. Would be good to throw in some shoes you don't mind to wade with in case you need to jump out.

We really need the rain. At this rate, the rock bar will be impassable for most before long.

Thanks Big E, we'll watch for the bar. I know it's there, but haven't ever really felt threatened by it. We'll keep the motor out & eletric-motor out to deeper water.

Fishing, anyone? Or are we going to have the lake to ourselves? That would be great!

Curious morning of fishing on Turtle.

Bass, our long-time friends on Turtle, were nowhere to be found, only two little guys caught & released. The pike, however, were in a mood, so we eventually abandoned our delicate bass ways for steel leaders & flash. We caught a dozen or more; haven't had that kind of pike experience on Turtle before. Good fun.

The rock bar & environs are downright dangerous. My depth finder bottomed out at less than one foot. Pulled the motor all the way out of the water & pulled the electric way up, too. A bonus seemed to be a lot less boats on the lake.

Hey Maximum, I was out Sunday morning and did very well for bass. Deeper water weed edges worked well and top water bite near the landing also produced bass.

We hit the deep edges hard, which is where we found the pike, but topwater is one of the few things we didn't try. It's been a while since I've found a good topwater bite, need to get into the habit of trying it again, great fun when it's on!

I made it out tonight after the rain went through. Fished from 6 to 8:30 we boated 12 bass and 2 northerns. Spinner bait produced 6 bass and both northerns other 6 bass where on a buzz bait. The access didn't seem to be bad but the rock point is less then a foot deep where i went across it i saw most people walking there boats or using their trolling motors.

Hey dbright, did you catch the buzz-bait bass out on the lake over the weeds, or in shallow around the docks? I've been jonesing for some topwater action!

Both most of them came in deeper water over the weeds. That was the first time i have fished turtle and i was surprised on how few weeds there where. I'll be out there again tonight around 5:30 or 6

Quote:
I made it out tonight after the rain went through. Fished from 6 to 8:30 we boated 12 bass and 2 northerns. Spinner bait produced 6 bass and both northerns other 6 bass where on a buzz bait. The access didn't seem to be bad but the rock point is less then a foot deep where i went across it i saw most people walking there boats or using their trolling motors.

Dbright - my buddy and I were also out last night after the rain, were you one of the two boats that was packing up right at dusk? Access didn't seem bad at all, in fact was a lot better than some of the other small north metro lakes I've been fishing lately. Rock bar is pretty treacherous though, we made it through with the motor tipped up but I just have a little 14'

did you see the jon boat go across the rock bar wide open that was me about 8:30

ugh...would love to head out to Turtle this weekend but I don't think I will get past the rock bar. Is there anyway to get through or is it down lower then the spring?

It depends on the size of the boat but there was a few 16 ft or so fishing boats. Trolling motor or walking over the bar would be best. Just to the left of the buoys it is about a foot or less but that is the only place i looked. I didn't see anyone drive through other then myself.

mine is a no go then.....too bad. At least the lake is empty for the jetskiers.

There was some bigger boats out there tonight. The top water did not work today for me but we did get a few in some deeper water then yesterday. The trolling motor battery died so we drifted the main part of the lake and got into a few small crappies.

• 2 weeks later...

So is the access in bad shape or is it just the shallow rocks out infront of the access that are detering boats from going out there? Either way, less people is music to my ears! grin Gonna give her a go tomorrow and see if I can't nab myself a few bass and pike. Just out of curiousity, do bass hangout in those shallow rocks at all?

Was out yesterday. I have a 518 ranger and rubbed bottom going across the gravel bar. Has to use bow mount, at the shallowest setting it rubbed bottom. It is getting shallow enough that the waves were breaking on the gravel. There was a 10 boat private tournament out there and they all made it over, mostly 16' tiller type. The landing is fine but shallow, only one side is usable.

Everything was biting. Caught too many largemouth to count but that is the case anytime you go out there. Pike were snapping in fact let me know if you find my Lucky Craft pointer 100 in the mouth of a fish in the NE corner of the lake,

I'll do my best to track it down for ya wink Might postpone my outing to wednesday though as the forecast might be a little too warm for me.

Wednesday just got postponed to friday...darn it, I knew I should've went out today.

I got across going out and then got grounded going back in and had to get out of the boat and walk it over. Don't go around the north side of the shallow area. Try the mid lake humps for the larger bass in 11-16 FOW.

I struck out again in my attempt at fishing this lake. The way things are going, I may never get out there.

I've been out a few times in the past few weeks and have done pretty good. I have got a few laughs watching people draging there boats over the sand bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping to the top, anyone been out in the last few days? Has the rain had any noticeable effect on lake levels and/or the bar? Haven't been out on Turtle in a while & would like to get out again soon.

Ramsey. The lake is still very low. I was out twice last weekend with marginal results... a few bass and a few pike.