• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Good stuff luvin2fish. I would try and keep your honey hole to yourself, and not let a bunch of people in on it, or it may go away sooner than later. River pressure can get very intense....

Nice work Luvin2,

Was out on the Croix today and managed to scare up nice 19 inch Sauger, a mud puppy, a channel cat and some crappies. I think the variety is why I like fishing the river so much. But have yet to run into the elusive white bass.

Did anyone see the full size trucks out there trailing the full size ice houses... Gotta keep telling myself the cracking is making the ice stronger..

was out there today from 7am-4pm, caught around 17 crappies between my buddy and i, and one 9 inch sunfish that just smacked my lindy flyer spoon we had alot of big misses also, we where in between 30-35 feet of water. i really wouldnt call it "slow" but almost all but 2-3 came from the deadstick, if you even try to jig they just take off where we where at. kept 8 crappies between 9-11 inches. lets see if i could get out tomorrow?! dying right now because i only had 3 hours of sleep before my night shift........ -moe

Looks like full size pickups and suburban have driven out of MN side by Clydes accross to WI side today. Thank game might be on! Still makes me a little nervous.

Good stuff luvin2fish. I would try and keep your honey hole to yourself, and not let a bunch of people in on it, or it may go away sooner than later. River pressure can get very intense....

eek, I agree. I've had many people follow me around every year. I'm guessing the first time they see me in the middle of no where people assume: "What the heck, this guy must not know what hes doing!" The second time they see me again in the same spot they think: "He's only catching little dinks or something." Third: "What he must be catching something" Fourth: "Hey, how you . . .WOW! Your the only one I see catching fish! Nice!" Thats when I as a sportsman politly let them fish around me but let them know don't fish TOO CLOSE. And here comes the crowd...time to move again grin Thats part of the reason why I don't post pics and introduce myself to many fmers that I do meet. Please don't take it in a wrong way, I'm just a super hero who needs to keep his identity secret. cool

Was out today from 9am-2, not much luck got 5 keeper crappies and one white bass. Funny thing happen today, I left my ugly stick/shimano stradic reel dead sticking an ninnow while i was out hole hopping and when I got back it was gone. Im guessing strugeon or a catfish took it because we caught a huge strugeon the other day way over 50" beacuse only the tip of the nose fit my 8" hole. Oh well learn a new lesson today. LOL

Funny thing happen today, I left my ugly stick/shimano stradic reel dead sticking an ninnow while i was out hole hopping and when I got back it was gone. Im guessing strugeon or a catfish took it because we caught a huge strugeon the other day way over 50" beacuse only the tip of the nose fit my 8" hole. Oh well learn a new lesson today. LOL

FYI if you left the rod inside the fish house while out scouting its called an "unattended line" and is illegal.

With the snow cover gone I'm picturing a grumpy old men moment as the green hornet goes streaking by grin

Was out yesterday fishing my so called honey hole and got only a few fishes. Moved around and found a nice little area and was able to catch a decent amount of crappies 8"-12". Today hit the same hole and was able to pull only 4 dink crappies. They sure have slowed down. Time to hit the lakes.

I would'nt give up on the caico bass...they are just moving around the edges of basins. I suggest once your on them, stay on them. When we were out there last weekend they would come in spirts. I could just imagine a school of them swimming around together. One minute Im graphing lots of fish, the next minute there gone!

Was out 3:30 - 6:00 last night. Marked fish off and on. Saw a few eyes and sauger on the camera, but no bites. Fish would come look at bait, but then jigging just seemed to spook them off.

11:30-1:30 today. Marked fish----a few sniffs but nothing. Probably tried about 6 different presentation in 3 separate locations.

Finally made it out there for the first time this year! Couldn't find my hot holes from last year so I had to drill some new ones. wink Marked a few and had 3 misses on the same fish that's it. Hopefully it gets better. Been hearing a lot of mixed reports. Good luck out there and keep those poles bending unless your catchin' my fish let them go back.

Was out today hole hoping like crazy. Drilled bout 25 holes strategically cool and worked any hole that was marking fish. Caught 5 crappies 10"+ biggest one being 12.5", and 2 whitebass. If your planning on just sitting and waiting out an area you can say goodbye to catching alot of fish. I didn't catch over 2 fish out of the same hole today. The fish has definetly turned off. Good luck you'll need it.

Fished last night and this morning, one 12 incher last night after dark, and two this morning at about 830. Then they turned off. Didn't even look at my bait for the rest of the time i was out their. Ones I got this morning were hungry!

Was out today from around 11am-3pm. Set up in 5 different spots trying to find fish. Only caught a handful of small crappies and then just when i thought i finally got into a good one it came out the hole a bit "sheepish" if you know what i mean. Thats the river for ya!

Got out yesterday afternoon for my first time. Got one silver right away at the edge of the basin, sniffers after that. I setup for walleye shallow and found that some debris washed into one of our productive spots. I thought I setup over fish waiting for me to bait up, turned out to be a log (or something?) suspended off the bottom. It was very odd. Would be banging a jigging rap and all of a sudden it wouldn't drop. Finally figured out it was landing on something every so often about 4' off the bottom. Never hooked into it?! Felt like we were dragging sandpaper in the bottom 7" too. My buddy hooked a couple of leaves and declared it was a tree, I wasn't in a position to argue. Kept telling him to land a hunk of bark or something! We didn't re-drill cause I didn't want to bug my other buddy we poached in on at the last minute.

Got skunked for the first time on the Croix yesterday afternoon. Had one take the bobber down and let go before I could set the hook. Was marking fish almost the whole time, just one of those days. On the bright side, the ice was 17" on the MN side out of Bayport.

Maybe all the ice vehicle traffic has slowed down the bite???? Have you river veterans experienced this in the past?

Maybe all the ice vehicle traffic has slowed down the bite???? Have you river veterans experienced this in the past?

Sounds to me like the bite ALL of last year. Lots of lookers, very few takers. If you happen to be there when they turn on, you can expect to catch a few. Numbers are rarely the way of the river.

Got out today from about 8-5. I started out on the outskirts of shantytown for a couple of hours and caught nothing so I decided to move. Went to move spots and my H2O decided that it couldn't read any satellites for the whole rest of the day, so I was winging it. Tried 2 spots where I thought looked good on the H2O map and couldn't pinpoint where exactly I was in relation to depths, so I just decided to setup on a hole that I was marking fish in, but couldn't get them to bite. Moved for the 4th time and decided to try a spot from last year that I could find by shoreline markings and found some fish. 7 crappies from 2-5, biggest one was 14 and the smallest was 9. Most of the fish I caught came through at 24' over 35'. The key I found was that I couldn't just set my bobber at 24', I had to move it up to them without spooking them and they bit almost everytime. Maybe I was just lucky and had the right setup and the right fish moving through.

Had my hunt do that a year ago. Showed the satellites but wouldn't lock on. Lowrance said it was a internal antenna problem. Sent it in and it took 9 weeks to get it back. Just about bought a Garmin.

Mine wouldn't even show any satellites. I did a search on the internet and it looks like quite a few people had the same problem. I found out that you can do a hard reset (which you will lose all your data) or a soft reset (most of your saved data remains). I did ythe soft reset and so far it works better than it did before. It found me in my house in about 3 seconds.

Good, at least it was an easy fix. At least you didn't have to talk to the wonderful people of Lowrance. I got 4 different people in one day and got 4 different answers. Oh well it happens i guess.

Yesterday was a 5 crappie day, today I shifted gears went shallower. First time using a 4cm Fisca balance perch color. Ended up taking home 3 walleye in the range 2-16 inch and a 19 inch. 2 shorties went back in the hole. All caught between 3:30 and 5 pm.

Sounds like you had a good couple a days. WTG! I sure wanted to get out today with the nice weather, but that dang work just keeps gettin in the way of all my fun. frown

For today a warm day with the sun out and fishing an area with no traffic helped I think. Yesterday I had to work pretty hard to get fish on the ice. I think the traffic just might have something to do with the bite, there was a couple of cars out there speeding and speeding around that cant help the bite. Tomorrow or Friday I think I'll stay closer to home and walk down to the beach and see what the point has to offer and may walk down to St.Mary's point.

alright who made that race track out there.... i swear someones going to go through over there... fish arent biting much out there ey? well atleast for you guys wink

lol, why not do it when the sheriff was at the launch? but the minute he left it was on again... i dont really care but people just be careful out there, p.s. if you are doing donuts please be more entertaining!!

Moe_V

Shhhh