• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Yeah, the river is crazy right now. My father-in-law is helping put up the dike in town right now because of the rising water.

• 4 weeks later...

The fishing must be realy good on the river right now because nobody is reporting. How's the fishin? Whitebass or crappies hitting anywhere?

Tunrevir~

Oh no! shocked The whities are running already? I still have to work on my boat! Will they still be around next week?

Oh no! shocked The whities are running already? I still have to work on my boat! Will they still be around next week?

Nope - They are gone already. You missed it.

Now that is the stuff I was talking about! Fishing is going strong all you gotta do is get out and fish it:) I have had decent cathes of whitebass and even managed to scrape up a few nicer crappies and perch so far. Water is already at lower spring flows and looks like the opener is going to be a bit tough to scratch out some eyes this year in the shallows. Good stuff guys, keep it coming.

Tunrevir~

Originally Posted By: JBMasterAngler

Nope - They are gone already. You missed it.

grin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Went out yesterday, fished between Beanie and Bayport. Caught a few White bass. Fishing was slow, otherwise maybe it was just me.

Went out in the kayak from Osceola this morning from 8ish to 11am. Got 3 nice white bass (3 casts in a row...guess that's how it is with them)... a couple smallmouth and a small pike. Beautiful morning despite the loud construction on the bridge.

Went out yesterday evening... Caught quite a few Whitebass... Yesterday was beautiful to be out on the river. Hardly any wind at all. The white bass sure liked it.

Really like seeing the quality of the walleyes being caught up on the croix these couple days, I would say the avg. is 17" or so, compared to the confluence area where is like 12"

3 guys, 6 hours, 20 walleyes/saugers (8 keepers), 20 white bass and 10 smallmouths. Fun day on the croix.

Made it down after work for a few hours took the wife with, hit several areas on the croix but couldn't seem to get them to bite, went down to the prescott area and yeah they were bitting but had to do sorting ended up with three in the box, put quite a few in the boat though

3 guys, 6 hours, 20 walleyes/saugers (8 keepers), 20 white bass and 10 smallmouths. Fun day on the croix.

Mind if I ask what was working for you guys? Crank baits, lindy rigs...?

Thanks for any info!

We found the white bass on jig and gulp minnows first, then switched to mimmics. The walleyes were mixed in and when the bass moved we moved with them, hooking smallies. Find the shad/baitfish and work that area good.

Andy and I were out on the River and picked up some nice Walleyes ranging from 17" to 20" with a bonus 25". Andy caught the 25" and it was immediately released. As a matter of fact Andy caught most of the fish last night including a double on the handline of a nice pair of 18" Walleyes. I got to be the net-man most of the evening! All fish were caught between Prescott and the Kini in 25 to 32 FOW. It was a good night out on the water, at least until it started raining.

Great job Dale and of course Andy, that new boat starting to smell fishy cool

Yeah I dropped enough of those fish on the bottom of the boat already. Dale tried to on Sunday but it ended up in my tackle bag. whistlegrin Great job on being a great captain again Dale!

that new boat starting to smell fishy cool

Andy, you're leg cast has gotta be getting pretty fishy by now too.. smile

Good job & reports guys. I got out yesterday in the morning for a while, we found fish in shallow 7'-14' rigging crawlers. My buddy went home with four nice ones and we released one right at 20". Tried pulling cranks with very little luck. Heading further south to check out more of the river tomorrow.

The sheepshead have been on a tear the past few days, sadly most the spots that hold walleye hold flocks of sheep willing to nip off the tail of your crawler without hesitation.

Chewy and I fished from Afton south this morning. It was a pretty tough bite. We found a few light biting fish rigging crawlers, only one legal. We got it in 14' around 5:45 am rigging a mustad slow death hook. Spent a good amount of time pulling handlines; Andy caught the greater half of a dozen or so really small walleye and sauger in 25-30'.

made it out last night for a few hours...found a few fish here and their, tryed 5 spots. they all had walleyes to catch, however most were small ended up with only 2 keepers. fish were bitting on rigged fatheads and crawlers nothing on leeches which supprised me.... in 12-25FOW, red hooks, blue hooks, to be honest i do not think hook color makes a difference just get the bait in front of the fish.

A quick question if I may I began fishing the Croix last year. I do not keep many fish, strictly catch and release so I rarely know the slot regs. What is the slot regs on the Croix?

Fished Thursday evening from Prescott to the Bluffs trolling crankbaits on snap weights along the shorelines and points. Picked up over a dozen 10" to 15" Saugers and 3 Walleyes, 2 shorts and 1 at 19". All fish were caught in the 24' deep range.

It was one of those nights that the active fish seemed to be at the same depth. If I fished deeper or shallower, even just 1 or 2 feet, nothing was biting but there was still a lot of fish showing up on the sonar.

Ran across 2 guys with a dead motor so I towed them up to The Bluffs. While I was at The Bluffs I figured I might as well fish there and that is where I picked up the 19" Walleye.