• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

went out yesterday with the wife. Her 1 mud-puppy, me 1 small sauger and one miss. Some jack a$$ in a white pickup truck came driving through 3 feet from my shack and almost ran over my tip ups. I looked out the window and saw he had a liter bottle tipped back. The guy was actually chugging it. I was so mad I almost called the cops.

I'm not sure where you were at but I see it almost every busy weekend on the croix, someone just pulls rite off the main "roadway" on the ice and set's up shack and puts thier tip-ups rite on the road. Now as the roadway is a well beaten path this is where the majority of the traffic is going to travel regardless of people fishing there or not. I do not suggest fishing tip-ups in any busy area such as shanty town or along the main roadways without clearly marking them with a 5 gallon pail or a shovel in the snow or something. I've almost ran people's tip-ups over driving thru shanty town trying to get off the ice, those things are hard to see until you are rite on top of them.

We were about half way between shanty town and the highlines about 50 yards off the Wi shore. No where near any road traffic. We drove in virgin snow. So hence being quite annoyed. I swear the guy was just doing it to screw with us and other fisherman in the area.

I could understand being a little upset then. I think I saw you were you the ones that had about 8-12 tip-ups out?

P.S. there's no fish over there whistle

spent friday, late afternoon on the croix. Marked fish, lost a fish on a buckshot no bites, not a great day to be staring down the hole but fun not to be working.

We were out Sat. under the high lines and nothing was biting. My son and I caught 2 small crappies from 6:30am to noon. Had a few bites that's it. Nothing happening. 37ft. of water. We were wondering if anyone else caught anything. Of course there was this WHITE CHEVY shortbox pickup driving 20 feet from my house at 40mph too which didn't help matters! I heard that Shanty town was slow that day. Anyone get anything at Shanty town worth mentioning? Went over to the NSP open water area for the night bite and got not even a bite. I'm surprised no one is fishing over there. Last year there was 40 houses over there and people were catching some good fish.

Jeez, with 12 pages of poor fishing reports why are there SO many people fishing the river right now? Seems way more than in years past. Usually things pick up as we get into February, guess everyone's hoping to be there when it starts.

Me? I'll be spending my time on other sheets of ice for a while. I've already been humbled enough by this one to last for a while.

Went out for a couple of hours last night and had a lot of fun. Tried a brand new spot for me and marked a ton of fish. Took forever to figure out what they wanted. Ended up catching about 10 crappie and kept two over 11". Glow lures for once did not work. Caught all on a red/gold Scandia tipped with the smallest crappie minnows in the bucket. *Interesting note* had to switch where I was hooking the minnow a couple times to get the fish to bite. From 3-4pm, the fish would only hit if the minnow was hooked through the lips and after four, they only hit if the minnow was hooked back by the tail. Never toyed around with this before but it made a difference.

AugieDawg, that's interesting with the hook placement. I never really messed around with that before. It's a good tip though, I'll have to try that the next time the fish are finiky.

Me? I'll be spending my time on other sheets of ice for a while. I've already been humbled enough by this one to last for a while.

Man i hear ya there i couldn't handle it anymore back to the lakes i went. Been doing ok so far. Any word on a gtg out there at all. Missed the food last year but it was fun fishing and chating!

Any word on a gtg out there at all? Missed the food last year but it was fun fishing and chating!

If and when the bite picks up, I'd be happy to put together another GTG. Someone else may want to pick the secret spot this time though. blush

Jealous of anyone who made it out today to enjoy this beautiful weather. Look forward to hearing reports.

Wow....just nailed them today. NOT! Was south of Shanty town......1 [PoorWordUsage] in 6 hours. Lame.....Where are the fish? Maybe at Cub fish dept. Got a massive 10"er' and that's it!

Signed,

Bewildered

Yea, I was going to take fiance there Saturday, but it was her 1st time on the ice, so wanted some numbers.

We nailed them on Chisago and kept some. Chheng had a blast! ...and she cleaned all the fish and deep fryed them also. Say what?? What a gal.

Made it out last evening after the Vikings game for a couple hours. Fished just south of Shanty Town and managed one small walleye and missed another. Marked fish in and out most of the time but only a few aggresive enough to chase my jigging spoon. Anyone else get out on the ice yesterday???

Sounds like you did better than a lot of people that I talked to. One of these days we are all going to catch a break and the bite will start again. What depth were you fishing if you don't mind me asking?

I was fishing a depth of just over 40 feet. The walleye and the miss came from just off the bottom while the other somewhat aggresive fish that i couldnt get to bite came in from the side at about 25-30 feet (crappies I'm guessing???)

Problems with my Field Tuff underwater camera. I can't seem to see anything underwater. The infared lights seem to be working fine. Any help out there?

Problems with my Field Tuff underwater camera. I can't seem to see anything underwater. The infared lights seem to be working fine. Any help out there?

Welcome to FM! The St. Croix is pretty murky. Could your problem be just that? The stained water? Have you tried it on any other area lakes with more clear water?

We tried the camera out at Willow River State Park and all we could see were bubbles.

I've spoken to the factory and they said that it's fine

When I use my camera on the St Croix I have to be in water 12' or less otherwise I cannot see anything. I used to use it a lot up in Andersen Bay or on top of the point on Andersen Point or along the break into deep water if I got too deep I just couldn't see anything unless they swam right up to the camera.

That's what a guy told me last year. He had an Aqua View and he said anything he saw had to be right on top of the camera.

The Marcum 825C will get you down to about 25FOW on the Croix after that the water is just to stained to see much of anything. A lower grade camera will not get you down as far. I would suggest taking your camera to a clear lake where there is no current and check it out. If you have problems with seeing stuff then I recommend upgrading and returning your current unit.