• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Not afraid to walk for some good fishing. I have seen some interesting spots on the river map. Thanks for the advice and I will see if I can get the brother in law to go first. Heck I will even tie a rope around his next to pull him out if he falls through. smile

I know this isn't the right season, but I'm planning some St. Croix canoe camping trips this summer. Anyone know a few good stretches for camping and fishing north of Stillwater?

Thanks

I know this isn't the right season, but I'm planning some St. Croix canoe camping trips this summer. Anyone know a few good stretches for camping and fishing north of Stillwater?

Thanks

It's ALL good north of Stillwater, but look way upsteam. The stretch from Riverside to Grantsburg is awesome.

If you are planning a St Croix canoe camping trip the only place to go for info is the St Croix National Scenic Riverway page. You will need camping permits so this is the place to start plus they have all the river maps you will need.

Here is the link:

http://www.nps.gov/sacn/index.htm

Thanks guys. Didn't know I would need a permit for it. Will check out the area near Grantsburg; I hunt in the Webster area and I get in to WI through Grantsburg. I had no idea the St. Croix was so beautiful and had good fishing until stumbling across some trip reports!

Back to fishing reports... managed 5 crappie and 3 rock bass at highline point today 12 - 6, very subtle bites as usual, been catching more rock bass this year than usual. Average Crappie size has dropped of for me lately, about 8 or 9 inches. Enjoyed watching the Eagles when I wasn't marking fish though. Guys fishing awfully close to the open water near the king plant again today, YIKES! Don't know what they're catching but you couldn't pay me to fish that close to open water!

hello!

I've been out of the game this season, had a baby! Wife's letting me out, can one drive on the ice now and access from the marina? Are people driving across the river like previous years? Thanks for the info!

hello!

I've been out of the game this season, had a baby! Wife's letting me out, can one drive on the ice now and access from the marina? Are people driving across the river like previous years? Thanks for the info!

Oh yeah, they're driving all over.

Thanks DonBo! Any reports as of late? My last ice trip probably...might as well get skunked on the croix!

• 2 weeks later...

Been out a few time this past weekend with no success. Tried crappie town/ north of crappie town/ by high lines/ south of main ice road with nothing but a few small crappies and a white bass to show for my efforts. Anyone else having a hard time getting anything to bite. I'm marking some but not getting much to bite. I've thrown them everything I've got in my tackle box. From small jigs with plastics to small lipless cranks to deadstick minnows.

When fishing the croix you must remember that there are many species that you could be marking. Shad get large and will make a pretty good looking mark but good luck getting a bite. The croix can be frustrating that is for sure!

I have been having similar luck and have the last few years this time of year fivebelow. Many bodies of water become tough to fish mid-late ice season. I have gathered that small plastics and waxies have outfished minnows and other lures on the Croix. When you see marks higher up in the water column moving faster and sporadically, its usually mooneye. Marks near the bottom can be many things (mostly rock bass, sauger and crappie that bite for me), fish hard when you see more than one fish near the bottom and keep your bait above them. I have had best luck doing this as the fish seem to compete for your bait. Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Ice is breaking up on the upper river. These pics are yesterday at the Sunrise Ferry Landing. Pics don't do justice, but there are huge slabs of ice getting pushed up on the shore. It looks pretty cool in person.

full-23674-52874-image.jpg

full-23674-52875-image.jpg

Still some ice down by Prescott. The commercial fisherman should be down there in the next week or so pulling carp.

Does anyone know if the river is open up above St. Croix Falls?? Thinking about heading up there on Sunday to try to jerkbait some smallies if its open.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Shack

• 1 month later...

I was stuck in a mandatory business conference today and when I finally get the chance to see how the river was I don't see any posts

What's Up

Didn't anyone fish today?

HTB

I fished the MN side down by Prescott. Caught a 33 inch, 9.25 pound pike, lost another that was about 30 inches or so at the boat. Also got 5 smallies, 2 white bass, and on the very last cast of the day, a chunky 17 inch walleye.

Sounds like the bite was slow for walleyes.

Was there many anglers out?

HTB

Trolled lead core from Stillwater to Hudson,not a single fish. DNR was checking fish at boom site landing and couldn't believe we had nothing as he said Saturday they check a bunch of walleyes. Go figure.

I thought there were a lot of people out, but was expecting more. I didn't see anyone else catch a fish. Everyone was either trolling or jigging, we were the only ones casting along the shorelines.

What were you casting? BTW great mixed bag trip (what else would you expect from the river? right)

Flicker shads and clackin' fat raps. Actually found a brand new flicker shad floating down the river. I rarely leave the water with more tackle than I show up with grin

Fished out of the Somerset landing this past saturday. Figured there would be a lot less people on the croix since it was the Minnesota opener. I was right! Had an interesting start to the morning...arrived at the launch at 7, started getting things ready, plugged my gas line into my motor, and found a nice rip in the line. Gas shot everywhere when I squeezed the hand pump! Had to drive to the nearest gas station to get some duct tape for a quick fix. By the end of the day, the tape gave up and my motor started taking in too much air. Luckily I was upstream of the access when it finally went kaput! :blush: Anyway...river was at least 2 feet low! I was hoping the rain we got leading into the weekend would've at least made some sort of difference. All of my secret spots were high and dry. Was able to catch 6 smallies, 4 whities, 2 hammer handles, and a big sheepshead. Lost a nice walleye at the boat. I think the white bass are a couple days away from really turning on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fished from Afton & points south 8 hours Friday early AM & into the PM and not much was happening for anyone; pretty slow.

Saw 3 Walleye caught, 4 Smallmouth & 1 Sheepie.  I caught some White Bass, a 13" Crappie, & had a nice Walleye on.

Highlight was watching 3 Sturgeon being caught by the Kinni. 

Water temp was 58F.  Hopefully it'll pick up when water temp goes northward of 62F.

• Thumbs Up 1