• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Got this buffalo through the hole Saturday. Is this common during the winter? It put up a good fight, but I would of liked to see the fish that broke my line after battling it for a few minutes. The one that broke my line fought 10x better. The fish was suspended in 20 FOW in 32 FOW and swam up 3-4 feet and took my lure after I raised my lure past it. I'm guessing it's a cat that's over 10 pounds since I caught one before that acted like this that was 4'13oz. The buffalo fought better than the 4'13oz cat. So if anyone runs into a big fish with a silver kastmaster spoon in its mouth along with over 30 ft of line, let me know what kind of fish it is. This is the first time that I have had my line break like this by just keeping tension on it.

full-43194-30251-img_8837.jpg

most of the time this season I have been the farthest south portable and been by myself with the closest people 4 to 5 hundered yards off been nice with BIG crappie and some huge mooneye this year. Been having a ball

A nice big fish fight could've easily been a channel cat, although I've also caut sturgeon and sheepshead suspended up there in the 25 fow zone. And they just look like a bunch of schooling fish on the sonar when such a big fish comes in.

and some huge mooneye this year. Been having a ball

Nice! My step-Daughters like to eat Mooneye better than White Bass!

Heading out for the first time ever on the Croix Thursday AM. Only have a car and was wondering how access is? Read in previous posts it's all pretty packed down and wanted to confirm if that's still the case or if I'll be walking the sled out? Thanks!

Heading out for the first time ever on the Croix Thursday AM. Only have a car and was wondering how access is? Read in previous posts it's all pretty packed down and wanted to confirm if that's still the case or if I'll be walking the sled out? Thanks!

Access is a little rough, but just drive around it.

You're suspension will get a workout in the pothole minefield on the dirt road......

Thanks guys sounds like I'll be fine, I get that thing through worse without pushing it too far. As for the fishing, I'll report back as long as I make it out

I was out this morning for the first time for a few hours and tried 3 spots south of ST in 32-38 FOW, caught 5 crappies and 3 white bass, biggest crappie being 11". Probly caught 1 of every 6 I marked, they were all marked/caught on the bottom. I caught one crappie on a minnow all the others were caught using waxies, I threw just about anything down to try and catch more but either way they would look at it for a few minutes without touching it before leaving. All the crappies were caught with my jig still, the bite was so light I probably wouldn't have caught them without my spring bob.

I was out this morning for the first time for a few hours and tried 3 spots south of ST in 32-38 FOW, caught 5 crappies and 3 white bass, biggest crappie being 11". Probly caught 1 of every 6 I marked, they were all marked/caught on the bottom. I caught one crappie on a minnow all the others were caught using waxies, I threw just about anything down to try and catch more but either way they would look at it for a few minutes without touching it before leaving. All the crappies were caught with my jig still, the bite was so light I probably wouldn't have caught them without my spring bob.

Ditto on that, been out a lot the last few weekends with little to show for. Few keepers and a huge white bass. Really hard to get them to hit the lure yet they always seem to take look at it.

I use the red tungsten jigs and waxies. Tried minnows for the first few trips and waseted my money. GO small and red. I work them hard to get them to look at it and then slow the action way down. I have felt maybe two fish actually hit it most all of them are that there is all of a sudden just no weight on the line. When I start to lift real slow there they are, fish on. So it is a tough bite. I know my girl has had a real hard time detecting the bites and says I am stealling her fish. With all honesty I have never caught so many big crappies through the ice ever. Lots of 12 and 13 inch fish

GSP4ME what depths are you targeting we will be heading down there tomorrow am. FYI your mail box ifs full so I could not pm you. Thanks

I was out on the st.croix, all but 1 dink crappie. Surely like gsp4me say use small jigs. I did but didn't have waxie... Since the croix is a hit or miss, I was so sure that the fish would bite in this weather today. Its probably that time of the month for that river, its having menstruation issue...

Very few people checking out this forum now. I guess most of you are out fishing now, I'm jealous wishing I was out on the river tonight. Good luck out there and save some fish for me as I hope to be out there tomorrow. I have to deal with a sick kid now.

GPS

Sounds like you're getting the hang of fishing the river. It's addicting for sure. The bite on the river is fluid...and ever changing. The bite this afternoon was great, but I had to be nimble with changing presentations...maggots, plastics, minnows...etc. For awhile they were smacking plastics...then maggots, then minnows..back to maggots.

Good fishing. SM

You all were a big help to get me started. I just had to get on the ice start drilling holes and marking fish. They are fickle down there and for me at least it has not been a all day bite. The area I have been in is done by noon. Very seldom is it past that for me plus I have not had the time in the evening to get out there. I was surprised to see most of the crappies have eggs in them already.

how is traveling for a sedan after yesterday's snowfall, seemed to total about 3-4"? I have a front wheel car. =(

If you stick to the main paths you should be alright. I would not recommend going off the beating path with a car.

Fishing has been fair to good so far this morning. I've got 8 in the bucket. Threw back 2 shorties and 2 small white bass.

Mooneyes, all you can catch. We found a suspended school and you couldn't keep them off the line. Fun to catch but not we wanted moved, 100 yards away and the flasher was full of fish but nothing would hit. I switched to larger buckshot and med. shiner. Something took the bobber down but I missed it. That was it and ended up leaving before nine last night. Sure was nice in the afternoon though, was able to sit outside and enjoy some hole hopping.

Also DNR stopped by for a survey. Very nice gentlemen, he asked some questions of course and we asked some to. When he we left were wiser, we were not sure what we were catching earlier and that is how we learned they were mooneyes.

4AM: Off to the river to see if they bite early.

Marked LOTS of fish early and later.

Moved 5 times in 8 hours. Big moves. All over.

Same thing everywhere - they'd come in, look and swim away. Threw a lot at 'em.

Skunk-a-roo.

this weekend was the best bite of the year, windows 8 to 11 am 330 to 5 pm sat today 830 to 11am lots of crappies 10 to 12 inchers two buddies and my self 36 ft 6 foot off bottom we only keep 6 apiece don't want to clean more then a meal release most of the bigger ones see what happens next weekend

this weekend was the best bite of the year, windows 8 to 11 am 330 to 5 pm sat today 830 to 11am lots of crappies 10 to 12 inchers two buddies and my self 36 ft 6 foot off bottom we only keep 6 apiece don't want to clean more then a meal release most of the bigger ones see what happens next weekend

Uh!

I guess I didn't try anywhere near ya; this was my worst trip today.

I was just north of ST, in shallow East of ST, South of ST, more South of ST & WAY South of ST.