• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Good to hear, lewyong. I've done well on Red glow jigs.

I'm taking a couple days off work next week to go fishing.

North or South of ShantyTown??

Both thursday and friday. We were checked 1 survey, 1 for liscense. They both said reports are terrible with one group having six average crappies being the best. Browns beach area dead c

Was out there yesterday and got the ol' skunkaroo frown Got there at 1 and headed north past shanty town. Busted out the auger...blade needed to be replaced shocked Had to drive into town and get that all taken care of. So that wasted about 2 hours out of the day. We were in 34 ft of water. Marked some fish, they would casually snoop at the baits from time to time, but weren't very interested. They were tight to the bottom, but would come up as much as 10 ft to check out the bait. Any idea what they might have been?

had fish doing that and when we could get them to bite they were littleB-)white bass

Ihave noticed thatthefishing at least for me dies almost completely around 11

Took the daughter and son-in-law down there yesterday and went myself today before the snow. Fished south of the shanty town and only managed two small crappie for both trips. Probably my last trip this year. Caught them in the past but can't do much this year down there.

sinker

if you want to head out let me know I'll get you out. the bite window I've found is only a few hours

any time you want to go around here let me know I'm new to the Hudson area don't know many laces besides the river to fish

yesterday north of shanty town 38 ft we got 11 crappies all nice 10 1/2 to 12 inchers caught 6 to 8 foot off bottom between 730 to 1030 am on red glow jigs & minnows been that way the last three weekends really nice fish but not a lot of them and only about a two hour window. lets see what happens next weekend

sinker

if you want to head out let me know I'll get you out. the bite window I've found is only a few hours

any time you want to go around here let me know I'm new to the Hudson area don't know many laces besides the river to fish

Yeah, there's not a ton of lakes locally. Some are ok but the river gives you a decent chance. Did much better in years past but the ones I have got this year have been in the morning.

yeah, the afternoon bite on the croix is tough. the few times that i've actually had activity the bite window was only an hour long. mornings are the best if you can be on the river and fishing from 7 till 1130 you should be able to catch them if they are there. morning fishing on the weekdays are awesome because the river doesn't have all the activity during the weekends. one thing for sure though, what was working when we had no to very little snow cover is not working as well now ;-) gotta change it up!

oh, and those fish that shoot up from the bottom to your bait, most of the time they are small white bass with a small crappie mixed in once in a while. if you are marking fish tight to the bottom and some suspended, target the suspended ones! crappie fishing that is...

Was out there yesterday and got the ol' skunkaroo frown Got there at 1 and headed north past shanty town. Busted out the auger...blade needed to be replaced shocked Had to drive into town and get that all taken care of. So that wasted about 2 hours out of the day. We were in 34 ft of water. Marked some fish, they would casually snoop at the baits from time to time, but weren't very interested. They were tight to the bottom, but would come up as much as 10 ft to check out the bait. Any idea what they might have been?

This has happened to me the last few times out too. When I finally got one to take it was a small white bass.

Got out Saturday for the first time since I dislocated/shattered my ankle and fractured both leg bones in multiple spots on Dec 28th, ice fishing. Yep, I did that.

Anyways, fished from 330 till about 730, north of shanty town, 32 fow. Missed quite a few fish, lost a very nice crappie at the hole and ended up icing 2 tulibee, 1 silver bass, 1 walleye and 2 channel cats including the beauty below. I knew it was either a trophy eye or nice cat.

For what it's worth, this accident really put things in perspective (being on bed rest for 2.5 weeks will do that). Don't take anything for granted (especially the little things like walking). Enjoy fishing every time you get out regardless if you catch anything. Finally, thank goodness for good surgeons and Titanium!

full-26186-30045-chadscat2_8_13.jpg

full-26186-30046-ankle2.jpg

I didn't know the croix had tulibees. You mean mooneyes?

Guess you beat me to it.

And yes some time laid up and not being able to even care for yourself will put things into perspective. I just got back to work after 6 months of recovering from rotator cuff surgery. Still not good but enjoying life much more with a better outlook on life.

I didn't know the croix had tulibees. You mean mooneyes?

I have to admit, 30 years fishing and I didn't know the difference until reading up on the difference here .

Yep, they were Mooneye. Learn something new every day!

Got some really nice crappie and sunfish today

Great! North or South of ST?

I'll be out Tomorrow AM & Friday AM - will ya be out?

I'll give detailed reports here.

way,way southof st. No. I have towork the next two and then out all weekend. drilled probably 30 holes and just bounced from one to another

Thursday 2/14 AM report:

Vacation day, 6AM - 1st one out. Forget my Flasher at home, but that's ok.

7AM NO ONE anywhere around me & some guy in a Ford truck pulls within 30' of me and sets up!! mad I could read his license plate through my diffused plastic window! WTH... getting crowded with NO ONE around on a Thursday?!?!?!?! Why do people do that??

So I move. Then move again, only wayyyyy out. Did Ok there - caught a nice White Bass 20 1/2" long. smile

Back out tomorrow morning.

The crappies were on fire yesterday. Fished from 6-11:30. Caught about 25 crappies, about half were a decent size. Also caught a perch, a couple white bass, and a 3lb smallie. Minnows on a fiska jig was the preferred presentation. At times it was hard to fish more than one line. It was nice to finally be there on the right day. I haven't had action like that on the river since early ice last year.

Nice to hear some good reports for a change. I was thinking about hanging up this silly sport and taking up bowling instead. blush Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Nice to hear some good reports for a change. I was thinking about hanging up this silly sport and taking up bowling instead. blush Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Yea, DonBo, give it a shot again! smile

Tomorrow may be slow with the cold front coming, but we'll see. I'll remember the Marcum this time. smile Will give a report.

Crappies were going crazy again this morning from 6-9am. After that it has been a flurry of 3 or 4 fish, once or twice an hour when a school of aggressive fish move through. We're having the best luck on lindy fat boys and fiskas with a minnow. Whites ands pinks for color. Don't jig, let it sit dead stick style till the rod tip twiches or slowly raise the bait away from the fish to get them to chase. I brought my 4 year old out and we are having a blast. Good luck!

Forgot to give the Friday report:

In the fishhouse 12 hours Friday, 4 hours just North of ST & 8 hours by the Highlines.

1 small White Bass & 1 Mooneye by ST and nothing by the Highlines, not even a bite. frown

Anybody seen the sturgeon on wcco news on valentines day that was a beast fish holy dump how did she manage to get it out of the hole

out yesterday from 6:30-11am. Fished about 150 yds south of shanty town. not a single bite on minnow,had a fish on for a second on waxies. other than that it was REAL slow

Out yesterday from 11-5:30. Went south of ST for the first time ever. First spot was crickets. Second spot was a different story. Caught 15 crappies, 1 small eye and 4 silver bass. 8-9 of the crappies were over 10". We even had a double. Jigging produced the eye, bass and some of the crappies, but most crappies were on the bobber.

Both spots were away from everyone with the closest person probably 500 yards away. Fished in 32 fow.

Bonus was being off crutches finally too (although still pretty gimpy)

full-26186-30241-feb17_13croixcrappies.j