• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

I haven't fished the Croix at all this winter, but have a bunch of time to fish this weekend. If I watch the ruts, is the ice still in good shape for a 1/2 ton 4x4?

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Was out Thursday afternoon(3-5:30) and walked out in front of Bayport Park. There were only a few people on the ice. I did see 3 full sized trucks cruise by me on the way up the where the high lines were and did see a truck a bit further south- so the ice must still be reasonably thick. Ice was about 20 inches thick where I was, but top 2-3 inches was slushy and watery.

I may give it a go tomorrow as long as the ice near shore doesnt fall apart.

Marked a bunch of fish, but had no biters. Threw everything I had at them but they wouldnt bite. Same old St. Croix, just warmer.

• 3 weeks later...

I was out just 2 days ago and the ice was still 16" out of Bayport Park. I walked out of course and fished and caught some nice smallies. I had to hop out onto the ice 4-5 feet from the shore but, I caught 12 smallies around 2# average. Only 2 people out there on wheelers. The ice is bad now...it's over for 2011.

Took the boat out couple times this week,Franconia & old log cabin.Wow water Is high!! tried fishing a little with no luck,water Is very muddy just putted around and watched all the ducks that are heading back north.Sure was nice to be on open water again!!wont be long til the silvers start snapping!

Took the boat out couple times this week,Franconia & old log cabin.Wow water Is high!! tried fishing a little with no luck,water Is very muddy just putted around and watched all the ducks that are heading back north.Sure was nice to be on open water again!!wont be long til the silvers start snapping!

Lots of goldeneyes flying when I was down there last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Been out on the openwater and hammering crappies. Biggest one so far was a 13.5" black crappie.

I was out Sunday for a few hours and worked an area I have done well at for whitebass and only picked up one and 2 incidental walleyes while working the area. Water is still high and fast with a fair amount of debris floating around but dropping nicely. I didn't find any crappies yet but with a bit of warm weahter both the white bass and the crappies will turn on soon!

Tunrevir~

Was out yesterday and worked my way around Stillwater and all the islands underwater, managed 5 whities and 1 pike in 3 hours.

I launched from the Stillwater Public launch without problems(speaking from a guy who launched a 20 ft. Bass Boat). There is a lot of debris laying around at the turnabout at the bottom of the launch so be careful for who ever decides to use it. Remember the river is still NO WAKE, be careful and happy fishing.

My sources says the Whities are begining their spawn run. Limits were easily caught. However sporadic. This weekend and coming week should really turn the feedbag on.

My sources says the Whities are begining their spawn run. Limits were easily caught. However sporadic. This weekend and coming week should really turn the feedbag on.

[PoorWordUsage] I've only been able to catch two. I've fished from taylorfalls to prescott. Ford Dam to Redwing. Gonna wait another week.

But in the meantime time to chase some lake crappies.

The best whitie bite is yet to come. I think I'll wait another 10 days or so. When they are on the run, there won't be a funner time on the river! smile

The whitebass bite has not turned on so far in the areas I have fished. The fish are there but the all out suicide bite hasn't materialized yet. I saw some surface activity last weekend and was able to catch one whitebass but couldn't get others to commit. Last year at this time the bite was in full swing but with the cooler temps and few warm sunny days the bite has been off in the areas that I frequent. Once the weather begins to moderate a bit and warm and the water temps start to come up the fish will be in the usual areas that you find them in each year.

AwsomeZZ, the whitebass run happens every spring and every fall as the water temps warm/cool the fish school up and go on the feed. I find them on shallow sandy flats areas just off the edge of current breaks or in eddies just off the main channel. Evenings and early mornings tend to be better then midday but every once in awhile you will run into a school out over the deeper basin areas. They are prolific fighters and great fun on lighter tackle and when on the feed they will hit just about anything you can toss out. Some of the better search baits are jig and minnow, small crankbaits, mepps spinners, plastic twister tails(white being good). Cast or troll shorelines and look for points and eddies or riprap areas to start. Trolling can be a good way to locate fish and once you find one then go back and work the area thouroughly with jigs or your favorite bait of choice. Once the temps come up the fish will suspend out over the basin areas with a few fish still nearshore but the schools will be out deeper chasing shad and minnows over the basin. One way to key on them in the summer months is to look for circling gulls and surface activity as the school pushes baitfish up towards the surface while feeding. Glide in slow and work the area with small minnow style cranks or spinners or plastics. I love this time of year!

Tunrevir~

Your a diehard Jloomis, I'll be on the water tomorrow to find a few for myself:)

Tunrevir~

Worked Copas to the high bridge yesterday,not a single Silver! Then today(Easter) took the wife and all 3 dogs out,didnt fish real hard but found a couple crappies! sre was a nice day to be out(and away from Inlaws)

After the last couple days I atleast have a couple spots picked out for next weekend opener..... smile

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The boat launch at Osceola Landing on the St. Croix will be open for use on the fishing opener on Saturday, April 30. However, due to recent flooding the picnic area and overflow parking area at that location will remain closed. This will result in very limited parking for vehicles and trailers. Alternative locations for launching boats should be considered.

fished 3:30 am - 7:30 am with one small eye to show for it. Nice and wet out there though.

Fished from 7 - 12 with no fish to show for it. pulled cranks and lindy's. wet, windy and miserable. it was nice to be back in the boat, though.

Just got back from the Croix. Fished the Prescott area with Andy from 3:00 to 7:30. Caught 30+ Walleye/Sauger with about equal numbers of each. Most fish were small and all Walleyes were sub 15" but we did manage a few nice Saugers. Trolled crank baits and caught fish from 17 to 25 FOW.

Saw serveral boats get pulled over for making wakes on the Croix.

went out in the a.m. shorefishing the upper st croix and found a pretty good bite. caught eyes slip bobbin with fatheads very close to shore. lots of dink eyes but did manage a few keepers with smallest one at 16in. also did very good with a homemade hair jig i tied myself(experimenting). this was the magic color for us today. bite was good til the heavier rain came down. tried other colors but this one was way more consistent. had fun with the kid also. left by 9am "soaked". even through our rain gear but would do it again.

full-38022-8258-2011_04_3009.26.51.jpg

full-38022-8261-2011_04_2220.57.21.jpg

Awesome job tengy! Isn't it great to watch your kids catch fish? And its also a great sense of accomplishment to see that smile on there face!! I also like to tie my own hair jigs and spinners, its fun to catch fish on them. Its a great little hobby to have for those mid-winter below zero days when you just want to stay inside. The combinations are endless!

Talked to a few buddies that fished hudson and bayport and they had a couple but nothing to write home about. My old man and I had similar results. The rain was no big deal but the wind is my downfall. I get frustrated to easly fighting the wind. I like do be very precise on my presentation(probably more than i need to be)and gave up by 10:00. There will definitly be better days to come!1

We (3 in my boat) fished from 5:30am-1:30pm and boated 22 eyes with 6 going in the box from 15 1/2-21". Mostly pulling crawlers.