• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Chris Stolp - can I ask what type of camera you're using and which location? Just because I've tried cameras before at Bayport and can't see a thing because the water is murky. Fished over the weekend, and caught 3 white bass. Thx

Fished bayport today 6:30am till 2:00pm....21 holes....no fish

only marked fish early morning. Has the late afternoon bite been any better.

DA,

Camera is a home built using IR illumination. Location WI side in 24 FOW a little north of the main Shanty town. Current present, but not main channel. With the illuminators turned on, eyes(walleye/sauger) glow like head lights in the night. Probably can see the eyes out to 5 or 6 feet. Fish must be within 2 3 feet to see.

Fished yesterday from 7-5 right by the shanty town in 39ft. Caught 7 crappies, a mudpuppy and a tiny white bass. Bite was between 10-noon. Nothing else before or after. Saw them on the screen, but they wouldn't bite for anything. They sure liked to go right past my minnow up to the sinker though!

I live at sunnyside marina in Stillwater. Always people fishing across river on Wisconsin side. Anybody know if they are getting on at Bayport and driving up or is therean access out of wisconsin?

Figure I want to try the river again maybe.

with 3 guys we found fish coming up and looking ....and managed 1 white crappie and about a dozen or so white bass. but those lookers sure had me going, come shooting off the bottom like they were gonna smack it, then right back to the bottom ...DOH!

we were out from about 2-8 last night, up till about 7 fish were coming in off the bottom in around 35' of water, just couldnt connect with minnows, waxies, small, big rattlers, glow in the dark, chubby darters, gliders nothing maybe I should of tossed the kitchen sink down at them?

Wow you too! I've been starting to think I was hallucinating. Question though, does this mean they're getting active?

Originally Posted By: Shawnny B
nothing, maybe I should of tossed the kitchen sink down at them?

Tried that, no luck. frown

I find the ceramic style work better, they sink faster than the stainless steel. The stainless flutters on the way down and the ceramic drops quickly hitting them on their noggen and they float up. laugh

Um, should I put a disclaimer here. grin

Out today from 10-3 and caught one very nice smallmouth and a couple mudpuppies. Saw an even bigger smallmouth on the camera. We moved to a real rocky area and saw lots of walleyes on the camera but couldn't get them to look at anything. Smallmouth was definitely worth the trip. Took some good runs. Smallmouth were in 18-20 feet. Seeing Walleye in 15 feet of water.

Are there any good muddy bays on lake St. Croix? Everywhere I have went it's been rock or sand.

Not to my knowledge.? A big portion of it is sand with the rest being of course rock. But you learn something new every day out there. I'll have to get the camera out a little more to find those rocks!! I tend to drill holes and just start hopping around w/out even sending the camera down. 2 more days left to go after those gamefish and also to get the shacks off!!

really have 3 days left mn regs. say walleye and sauger close on march 1 st. i spoke with east metro fisheries and they said that is correct you have til midnight on monday.

Oh yeah i worded it as if people were working on Mon. Wi regs say March 1st also. So 2 full no work days is what i meant. Sunday will be my last day, out on the river anyways, till open water. frown Might make it down to the sippi in april!

fished from 7:30am till 1:30pm 1st on the mn side by the stacks

no bites very few looker....around 11:00 moved over by deserted shanty town..want to thank fellow in silver truck for finding the spot..the 1/2 hr run started about 12:15 and lasted till 12:45 or so 6 bluegills (5 caught on minnows)and 3 large crappies

last 45 min didn't mark any fish till I had to leave it turned out to be a looker. This was my last time on the croix this year good luck too everyone...as they say....catch one for the odieman!!!!!

Great day on the river yesterday. Fished in 30+ FOW from 1:00-7:00 pm and was able to catch 2 12incher crappies and 8 10inchers.

Great day on the river yesterday. Fished in 30+ FOW from 1:00-7:00 pm and was able to catch 2 12incher crappies and 8 10inchers.

mind sharing what they were biting on.

been out a few times in last week and got nothing but a few white bass...haven't seen a crappie in a few weeks.

thanks

biting on minnows of course.

My tip would be to switch to a differnt color/size jig every time a fish looks and doesn't bite.

Was out Sunday and Monday, it was pretty slow. I had a lot of bites but only managed a few gills, and silvers and one stout smallie. I noticed somebody left a couple of nice northern's on the ice to die.

It's really a shame that people do that, I'm sure they could have found someone who wanted them. Gonna try to get out next weekend for one last over-nighter out there, as long as the ice around the shorelines hold up.

Yeah with these warm temps expected to stick around for awhile, the ice wont hold long. Then the chance for rain will really chew things up.

I was thinking of going out at bayport is ther still good ice to drive on or should i bring a lifevest?Is anybody catching any crappies out ther yet?

plenty of ice still but the sun put a hurt on the snow out there today. roads were getting really sloppy, with the temps and the sun tomorrow it will be defintley ice cleat time. hopefully we will get some more snow to prolong the ice season , and hopefully the crappies will really put on the feedbags. got a few today but they were not fast and ferious by any means.drilled a lot of holes today. they seemed to be more agressive today between 10:30 & noon. this eve. they were down ther but just wouldn't move.

side note launch area is getting pretty sloppy if we continue to get these great sunny days it won't be much lonnger for driving.

Thanx.So is it closer to hwy94 or hwy8?Do you guyes have any good places to start looking.Dont want anybodyes honyhole but some pointers would be great if not that is fine i love the search as much as the catch but helpful hints are allwayes welcome in my book.THANKES

Thanx.So is it closer to hwy94 or hwy8?Do you guyes have any good places to start looking.Dont want anybodyes honyhole but some pointers would be great if not that is fine i love the search as much as the catch but helpful hints are allwayes welcome in my book.THANKES

Here's the directions. You'll see where everyone is fishing.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...oix#Post1765774

You'll only need to read through the posts on this thread to see what is (or is not) working.