• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

Joe

Good pom pom talk guys. smile I went out this morning again from 6:30-10, got really really wet. We caught 3 nice fish, 2 walleye and a sauger around 17". Basically fished the same areas as yesterday, 24-32' rigging crawlers and leeches. Fish were showing up on the graphs as the day before, they just weren't sucking up the baits very consistently. Lots of fish were mouthing the hook, barely adding weight to the lure while swimming along with the boat. We had a couple fish hit good earlier in the morning, got two on leeches on deadsticks that set themselves good. We got a few sheeps, 3 channel cats and both Seth and I had some sort of beast get off after a decent fight - we didn't catch a glimpse of either one. frown Anyhow, looks like once the weather flattens out fishing should still be pretty good. Good luck everyone!!

Went out Friday evening with Mike (Quentico). We dragged crankbaits all evening and picked up 1, 17" Walleye, 9 Saugers ranging from 6-17" a few bass and a crappie. Most of the fish were caught in 23-27 FOW. Mike caught 2 smallmouth bass at the same time when he was getting ready to drop the handline down. Both lures were on or near the surface of the water very near the boat. It was quite exciting for a few minutes in the boat. We had a little light rain and almost no pleasure boaters. Over all it was a great evening on the water.

Its always great learning a new technique like hand lining from someone who really knows what they are doing. Someone whose able to teach and put you on plenty of fish so you can get the feel for it. Thanks Dale.

Went out today, didn't do well trolling cranks with lead, but switched to drifting with a leech with a copper spinner and had non stop action. Lots od catfish,some sheephead, some smallies, 4 short walleye,3 sauger, and a 23" and 18" walleye. Had to keep the 18" for dinner and was glad to see it was a male when cleaned. Delicious! Think it was the best day since spring. Fun

Went out this morning, put in at the Osceola landing and headed South. A lot of shallow water, one missed fish and we decided to head back North to the 'cliffs'. Picked up some smallies along the way and something heavy bit me off after a very short battle. A lot of logs down in that stretch of river, as my diminished supply of jigheads will attest. Highlight of the trip was when I reeled up a 5' 6" Fenwick ultralight with a halfdecent Shimano reel on it. Not much of a fight, but I kept it ;-)

We had great fun yesterday despite my dim expectations after reading the fishing reports prior to our launch. We landed over 30 sunfish, several rough fish, a 1 1/2# smallmouth & a 14" & 18" Walleye and even a Rock Bass. Left with enough for dinner and only fished with nightcrawlers at the Railroad Bridge in Hudson from 0900 - 1430. Early on was more rough fish, then the fun came with the keepers. NightCrawler on bottom or with bobber next to bridge structure at a 8 foot depth. Walleyes were around 10 foot.

Been out handlining almost everynight since saturday and putting some decent ones in the box, averaging 4 a night with many shorts, doesn't look like I make it out tonight but tomorrow night looks good and of course I'll be out all weekend! Most fish or coming out of 25-35' hot color #5 chartrouse floater

was out Wednesday afternoon and caught some nice fish. crawler harness, no spinners . The dead stick produced the best, the bigger fish came out of 30-35.

On the St Croix I spent the morning running all over but the bright side is boated alot of fish seemed every place we tried caught at least one walleye and a handful of smallies lindy riggin 20-35' walleyes ran on the short size depending on the area. Then went on pool 3 below prescott anchoring above the cans and working the wing damns with a leech or crawler if no action with in 10 casts or so, side down to another one, use caution when fishing around wing damns there tough on lower units, boated some really decent eyes/sauger mix though with most fish coming off the back tip. Finished up handlining the no wake and once again proved to put the nicer ones in the boat, even with all the activity the walleyes were smacking #5s and 7s hot color for the afternoon winnie perch. What a great day out on the river and it was nice finding active fish should be out fishing every night this week looking forward to it cool

It has stopped raining. Still a little windy and the clouds are supossed to clear this afternoon. I'm heading down to Prescott to pull cranks and do some lindy rigging right now. Good luck.

Bricks boat works do great work! Went out this morning caught alot of whites and a few eyes and some pretty nice slabs and one big cat, heading out in the morning again

Trolled cranks out there for the first time yesterday in 25'-30' of water. Worked the YMCA flats for a couple hours and then tried the afton bar. Come home with nothing. Had a few hits but didn't hook anything. Marked a fair amount of fish in both areas but couldn't get them to bite.

We were out in the same water yesterday morning, with about the same result one sheep and one short eye.We trolled cranks and crawlers.

Fog was so thick this morning had to troll by gps for awhile but boy the fishing was great for about 3 hours or so, the walleye/saugers mix was crazy between 4:30 and 7:30am boated well over twenty handlining, had 3 doubles talk about cool, got a nice slab crappie bonus but the highlite was a fat 20" smallie let go of course to fight another day, what a great time playing in the fog, kept some really quality tails this morning,nice to see a couple other handliners out this morning, hope your morning went great also cool

mix was crazy between 4:30 and 7:30am boated well over twenty handlining,

Not to get folks lined up at the boat ramps in the dark or anything, but the early bite has been pretty positive from my experience too. 5-7 has been more active than later.

I got out Friday night, and Sunday night this weekend. Pulled cranks around Afton in about 20 - 25 FOW and made out with a few fish each time. All saugers, not a single wally (not complaining, just thought it was interersting). Also caught some sort of wind jacket off the bottom. Game me a good fight as the thing probly wieghed 10lbs all soaked in water! Sunday night was a zoo out there! Had somebody decide that they needed to cut through the 10 ft opening between me and the channel marker rather than using the other 150 yards of open cahnnel mad

I love that factor of river fishing, alot of inconsiderate boaters out there in some really large boats, saturday evening handlining had a boat on each side of me come way to close up on plane really rocked the boat but I don't let it bother me much just go with the flow cool

Hit the river this evening for some handlining and found some active fish boxed three really decent eyes and caught quite a few shorts as well. fire tiger hot color tonight cool

Good job...

For as much as you get out and box fish, you must eat alot of them buggers. I always wonder how much I should eat out of the river and once or twice a month seems like enough for this guy.

Thanks for the report, perfect weather last night too.

I love fish, I eat fish aleast twice a week have so for years, I don't buy into all media garbage about consumption of fish, heck there isn't much a person can eat if you listen to the media. Theres two types of people in this world those who eat what they want and those who wish they could eat what they want, I like to eat cool

I like it. I agree with the media garbage you speak of. I don't like to eat too much fried food, and I havn't really found a fish recipie that I like that isn't fried so I need to lay off it a bit! I could eat fish at least 3 days a week otherwise.

Just a suggestion, you could try peanut oil as it is healthier than regular old vegetable oil. And it also tastes better in my opinion. Just my .02