• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We were on the Red River North of Georgtown floting down the river when a tractor drove alongside the bank with a bucket full of garbage and dumped it the river.

If that is indeed the case, document it, and send it to the NDG&F and the DNR.

That is inexcusable behavior, and should not be overlooked or unreported.

It was such a beautiful evening I had to put my boat in at the Convent and check out the Walleye situation. Nothing for me. One boat had 3.

If it's not raining tomorrow afternoon I'll hit it again.

Concentrate on the transitions from hard to soft bottoms.

Gravel/Clay to sand and to the soft muck. The frogs are headed to the muck.

Start shallow and work deeper mid-day, and back again to shallow late in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Some nice walleyes are showing up again on the Red, increasingly so from the South to the North.

Smaller lighter jigs tipped with larger minnows worked slowly near current breaks are pulling fish. Also some minnowbait type crankbait action, but you have to keep it very...very...very....s-l-o-w. This produced larger walleye on average.

Still some long rod fishing to be had out there, so try to sneak in a few outings before we switch over to Hard Water..and that will come very soon too.

I have a 20ft skeeter is launching at convent to run south ok for this boat to run towards wildrice? and anybody know about running same boat from johnson park going North or south from it?

Frank, you can go South from the Convent landing with your boat, but be very careful- lots of stuff to hit. Same from Johnson- shallower going South than North, but plenty to hit either way. If you take it easy either way, you should be fine.

Try some Glow jig (Glow pink, Green, or Red) and Fatheads or smaller suckers on jigs in the deeper holes on the sharp bends South from the Convent Landing. Find the front drop up current that bleeds into the hole and hug the current break near shore.

It is a slow poke bite right now, but the walleyes are on and off in the afternoon now.

Take it cool...no big hurry, use your eyes to watch for logs, use your electronics to watch for fish, you will be ok running to the South.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO YA'LL WOULD LIKE TO GET OUT BEFORE THE FREEZE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN COMING WITH ME JUST GIVE ME A CALL 701 540 8502 ANYTIME IS GOOD

Increased current and high water levels will slow safe ice development this season on all the regions rivers.

If you choose to test it, exercise extreme caution. Do not fish alone when testing any early ice be it on rivers, lakes or streams. Use the Buddy System for safety sake.

Be VERY CAREFUL, no ice is ready on any of the tributaries of the Red River at this time Nor is it anywhere close on the Red River.

It will be a tricky freeze up on the rivers. Levels will fall, producing "Cave Ice" on the shore line, and near snags. Potentially very dangerous stuff.

Do not take anything for granted. Test ever step with a bar no matter where your travel, never assume anything.

With the likelihood of Cave Ice, pay close attention to the shoreline as it will not freeze up evenly, or it will reopen and remain hidden under suspended ice on the shoreline.

I can not stress safety strongly enough, it is that risky.

Be smart, be safe, do not fish alone if you must. Have a plan if your buddy does go in.

I can not recommend attempting any fishing on any of the regions rivers at this time.

I would also wish to add, please take the time to speak with children on the dangers of the rivers and ponds in the area prior to the Holiday Vacations soon upon us. Residents and visiting nonresidents' alike, inform them that all rivers and ponds are not same to wonder upon at this time.

May you have a safe and joyous Thanksgiving Holiday.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..... ><,sUMo,> ~ ><>

Very Tragic news, my heat go's out to the family's of these young men.

A 12-year old boy drowned in the Mouse River in Minot after falling through thin ice. A 9-year old boy was rescued.

minot%20police%20patch.jpg

Source: Bonnie Amistadi, KFGO News Center

MINOT - A 12-year old boy drowned in the Mouse River in Minot after falling through thin ice. A 9-year old boy was rescued.

Police sergeant Scott Redding is warning people to stay off the ice. The boys were walking along the snow-covered, slippy bank when they lost their footing.

The 9-year old was clinging to a piece of ice in the middle of the river when rescuers got to the scene. The second boy was found unconscious under water.

• 2 weeks later...

Ice on the Headwaters Region and Central Red River Region is still, a NO GO.

Not safe yet, and very dangerous where it may appear to be frozen over...don't trust it..at all!

Current is the culprit, and that makes slow ice and very mixed ice depth.

My advice, stay off it completely yet.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from our annual trip north for monster greenback's. The cabin we rented ended up being about 1/4 mile from the Balsam Harbor access so getting on the lake was cake. The bite was tough with the high pressure system coming in and the cold weather but we managed some nice fish near stoney point and out in front of that creek that folks use to access the lake SE of Stoney. We had some good fishing past the village at BH as well. Over all we got 5 master anglers for 10 people and quite a few fish in the 23-25" range. I personally got a 29" that went 10-11 lbs. Biggest of the trip was a 30" fish that was in the 11-12 lb class. Our accomodations were great, the cabin we rented on the lake was more than big enough for 10 guys and it had ample seating and couches. We'll do it again for sure.

Sounds like a good trip despite the rough cold weather conditions.

I spoke with a couple other groups that were up last weekend too, they did much the same. The weather had them pinned down a bit so they didn't wonder much and still did respectful numbers and some sumo's mixed in.

Before the trip I spoke with a buddy of yours from Fargo who joined you. Did he do ok? Did any of those new recommendations pan out for him?

Thanks for the report Peter.

Yeah, the cold weather made it tought to move around. Burt didn't have a great trip, he was pretty close to my house most of the time and while I caught fish, he had trouble marking anything. It's funny how it works, my partner barely marked any fish and I had lot's of action on the graph and the rod eek

Yes it was a fun trip. We will have to do it again Peter. I will be heading back up in March too. I just cant leave that lake alone. It is awesome.

Before your next trip up. Check out the Spro Aruka Shad Jr's once. wink

You can see them on the Gander site if you wish, good price...great colors.

The cabin was on the lake, we accessed the lake at Balsam Harbor which was about 1/4 mile from the cabin. Fished out from there and south towards the mouth of the river.

• 1 month later...

New to all this posting stuff. Looking for any info on fishing the Red in the Fargo area. First cats caught last summer, can not wait to get out this spring.

Hi Learnin'- welcome!!! There will be plenty of good info on here between now and then. With high water coming you won't likely be softwater fishing for cats very soon. The good news is that'll give you plenty of time to keep an eye on info in here that'll help you with presentation, location, bait, etc. for cattin' on the Red throughout the year. Also, check out the search function- tons and tons of info to look up that's already been discussed...

• 2 weeks later...

My fishing last night on the Red River went ok, not great, now shabby either. Conditions are current and flow is way up, lots of stirred up clutter and debris...Vex locked in LP Zoom 6' Mode all night and debris clutter was a factor.

Salmo Zipper scores 6 walleye 1.5 lbs to 3.5 lbs, and 3 sauger in the 1.5 lb range. In 5' to 7'.

Frabill Thermal Tip-up rigged with a Frabill Essentials Tip-up glow walleye bead leader scores 3 walleye but the larger eyes of the evening, ranging from 4.5 to 6 lbs. Tip up was set in 3' of water under 3' of ice. Bigger fish are cuddling up tight to the shore it would appear.

A Funny evening bite in very shallow. Only 2 Goldeye...that was a welcome change from 30 - 50 Goldeye an evening.

No werewolves, but the rain and ice pellets falling had me jumpy for a while thinking there may be one lurking around. eek

I'd guess your river outtings are about done for the year, aren't they Ed? With the increased current, I'd think conditions will deteriorate quickly from here on out... Be safe!

I'm looking forward to fishing some soft water soon...

Ice is holding up remarkably well so far on the central Red. Once any real run off hits the ice will begin to float and the shoreline becomes unsafe, then it's done. Once we get some steady sun, it will be all done in a few days. The cool temps have granted us a few more days to test the ice.

Not a time to take any risks, caution is a must.

I will be readying my long rods for use by the end of this week.

OK, I'm sticking a fork in it...the river ice in our region is done...not safe..stay off it!

The rivers are on the rise now and the shoreline access is softened to the point going in or down is a certainty if you try it...so don't even try it.

We will be a couple weeks from open water fishing to the South on the Red, and so far that ice is not on the move. Time to get them long rods out and get them ready for spring walleye and pike action around the Dakota's.

Some lakes and ponds are accessible to the North yet and would be my choice for late season ice action. Even there the shoreline access is quickly deteriorating and one should be very cautious. I hope to get in some perch action yet and maybe some walleyes.

I'm certain that there is no more river ice fishing for me tell December 2011 now.

Be safe...have fun.

How is the fishing on the river once the flood waters recede? Maybe anothe way to ask the question is how early in the Spring does the fishing pick up on the Red River around Fargo?