• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyes are biting on the Wild Rice in the southern valley!!!

The Walleye might think it's October already and are on a feeding frenzy.

Crawlers?

If your interested in checking it out with a pre trip let me know be glad to help an wet a line for cats, been awhile. Boar

Sounds good. I would like to think I can get there sooner, but reality is it will be mid-summer before I can make the trek. Thanks for the offer.

Threw out a circle hook with chicken liver in the Sheyenne tonight in my backyard.

Nice 20" Cat. Nice to have something fight on the end of the line.

SheyenneCatfish.jpg

Also got 3 kitty cats. Threw 'em all back.

Walleyes are biting on the Wild Rice in the southern valley!!!

Thanks for the tip Brian. wink

Flow is up guys, more lead is wise. Cats are hunting the channels headed to the dams now. Wood to wood, channel-run to channel-run is a good plan. Sucker is doing best in this cooler water.

Heard a rumor of a very big Walleye caught at the Kidder Dam. Might be a state record. Anybody hear of such a rumor????

Which state would a record be for when you're fishing from shore? Is it the side of the river you're on? How about if you're fishing in a boat? Just something I've always wondered about.

A state record on a boundary waters jurisdiction situation would apply to the state you were licensed in and or reside in, either permanently or as a temporarily guest in that state.

Nonresident of either state, but licensed in one or the other, the record would be applied to the state your licensed for and were the temporary resident of at the time.

The physical act of registering it properly with one state or the other would influence the officiating of the record I am sure. So doing so in both states on the boundary water in question in that situation would be smart, as long as your previously licensed in both states at the time.

Flow is up guys, more lead is wise. Cats are hunting the channels headed to the dams now. Wood to wood, channel-run to channel-run is a good plan. Sucker is doing best in this cooler water.

Ed - saw you at GM the other day - you were busy with customers.

I'm not familiar with the "Wood to wood, Channel to channel" phrase. Please elaborate.

Channel to Cahannel and Wood to wood is a patern set by channel catfish in Pre-Spawn mode.

Cats on the move, such as they are now, tend to move up the channel and roam around snags/wood.

So a good strategy is to work the channel edge on a snag and the up current face of the snag. This allows for a duel coverage presentation strategy for pre-spawn roaming cats. They move in the channel and feed and rest on the wood/snags.

Yep, this time of year it's a good bet to anchor upstream from a snagpile. Get lines set in tight to the snag, but also outside of the snagpile, near the edge of the channel. Like Ed said, it's double bang for your buck.

Channel to Cahannel and Wood to wood is a patern set by channel catfish in Pre-Spawn mode.

Cats on the move, such as they are now, tend to move up the channel and roam around snags/wood.

Thanks for the tip.

How did you guys learn this stuff? Did you waterboard a Catfish into giving up this intel?

Your very welcome.

I've spent a lot of hours on the regions rivers over the past 30 years or so, something is bound to sink in over time. wink

Well... I took a shortcut-- I just listen to Ed a lot! grinwink I may have spent an hour or two on the rivers around here as well...

I do the same, listen to Scoot that is.

Always good to get as much info from as many reliable sources as one can to formulate the "Plan".

In an ever changing fishing environment, such as on rivers, the more ya know, the better you will do. wink

Heard a rumor of a very big Walleye caught at the Kidder Dam. Might be a state record. Anybody hear of such a rumor????

I called a few people I know in the area and they heard that a 13lb 6oz walleye was caught down there. Don't know if it was at the dam but it sounded like it was spawned out and not real thick.

yup, been der, we hit the 500 lb mark in one day with my personal best of thirty lber. Sounds like a fish story I know but they were stacked like cord wood with low watBoarer right below a spill way.

yup, been der, we hit the 500 lb mark in one day with my personal best of thirty lber. Sounds like a fish story I know but they were stacked like cord wood with low watBoarer right below a spill way.

Doesn't sound like a fish story at all- we've topped 1000 lbs in a day up there before... I've had many times when the fish averaged over 20 lbs per fish and we caught over 50 of them in a day. There's some wonderful fishing to be had on this side of the border, but none of it holds a candle to Stu's neck of the woods.

Yea Stus got a gem thats for sure, I gotta get my passport an get back up there. boar

• 2 weeks later...

Got out for my first cat outing of the spring saturday. Put in at the convent landing headed upstream. had a couple with us who have never cat fished never been on the Red. We boated six fish from 4 to 10 pounds all in the channel snags. They were blown away by the beauty of the river, we watched deer, an enormous beaver and wild turkeys while anchored. This old walleye guy has become completely addicted to cats on the Red what a cool resource in our backyard. Now I have a question for you wise cat vets. The same spots I fished last year in August were producing 15 to 20 pound fish. Is this a seasonal thing were the big fish get going later in the summer post spawn? If so where are the big mammas now?

Cats are in early pre-spawn mode now....they tend to spawn in mid to late late June here on the Central Red River Basin.

I start near dams and work back from now on.

They will seek out spawning areas soon and hang around them picking out choice spots, males will be fighting for and preparing there nest sites.

The high fast water has the fish up in the tribs early and will draw them in more in weeks ahead. Ideally they want relatively shallow warm water (70+) and stable water levels to spawn in. Right now they are searching for this and on the move a lot.

As they near spawn and nest, they will get extremely picky and preoccupied with territory, and you will see short hits and runs that are not true feeding.

They actually are moving baits away from there nest site, and not in the mood to feed, defensive hits and housecleaning.

I think we are a couple weeks away from that yet. Once it hits fishing is very tough for a week to two weeks, and after that...game on tell freeze up.

Ed, that being said, I expect the fishing to stay pretty good for the next couple weeks. Don't you?

Yup...it's running a bit late temp wise so it should be darn good for a couple weeks or maybe even more?

The heavy rains up North may mess them up a while...7" in the Pembina area will push it up to 41 feet fast.

Here...we are good.

Thanks for the feedback guys I have learned alot from your posts. I was out again last night and had very steady action all evening. I actually brought my flyrod and had a blast with the goldeyes towards sunset. There was a major hatch going on and they were rising everywhere around me. Tied on a larger dry fly and they went nuts on it. Must have caught twenty fish in 1/2 hour all tail dancing to the boat. 12 inch goldeye on a 4 wt flyrod is very fun. All the cats were 23 to 26 inch fish, all males I suppose. I did notice the short violent runs which were all drops. Thanks again for sharing info...

Watersguy...another very fun way to catch Mooneye/Goldeye...is tiny crankbaits...teeny tiny ones...and a ultralight rod.

The tiny cranks like the Bitsies and Snap Beans, often used on Gills and Crappies, are deadly on then Sumo Mooneyes....it's a blast!

bitsy%20pond%20minnow%207.JPGBitsie

80-80-EACDE2408C370CC0080459FCFB5B17EF.jSnap Bean

Another tiny crank I love is the #3 Salmo Hornet, harder to find, but deadly.

small_e7cktw.jpg

Salmo #3 Hornet

square_49iy5v.jpgwink