• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

McGregor-Aitkin-Crosby-Deerwood Area fishing reports

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• knoppers

• Crappie2760

• Born2Fish

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aitkin area - lots of snow!  Shocker, right?  Never really measured the ice but I doubt it’s over 20 inches thick with maybe 16 inches of snow on top.  And slush happens....  Bring a snowmobile if you

From this past weekend in the Brainerd/Crosslake area...found the panfish on the weedlines or just out from them in the 10-16' of water range and used all sorts of methods but the best had to be 2.5"

family cabin on Ripple over that way, a good lake too...   sure looks like a good time for ya!!!!  👍

Posted Images

palisade1kid

Are you on Big Sandy?

Aitkin area lakes have started.I was on 5 lakes this last 4 days.

I can no longer confirm or deny any lake that I'm fishing due to local rhetoric.

I'm also guiding now and I'm not going to give up hard earned intel. Too many have taken advantage of this info over the last 5 years.

I will give up general info that is current however.

I am sorry in that I'd love to tell you exactly the what,where,when and the how to's,but I have learned that there are too many greedy fishers that keep everything. I've watched guys keep every gill inlcuding those over 10-11 inches...I've seen guys keep those 13-15 inch slab crappies.

Oh hey CK...thanks for posting!

That's over now.Sorry...I do guide and these fish that would normally be CPR'd for others to catch is hurting my business and the lake.

I made all of those posts in years past to prove that I can find and pattern quality fish....I no longer need to prove anything to anyone.

Sorry...oh and if someone sees me on a lake and wants to publish it... that's on them not me to which lake some of these fish are being caught.

trappingaddiction

Thats pretty sad with people keeping all of the bigger fish. A few medium sized ones for the table and one for a mount I can understand, but you dont need a limit 13 inch crappies. Just look at Pelican lake down by Monticello/Buffalo. A few years ago there was lots of 10+ in Bluegills and 12+ Crappies, not a bigger one in the lake are 2 inches under that with lots of 6 in crappies and sunfish. Would you be able to give more specific info on the lakes in an email (I wont be harvesting the 14 inch crappies)?

palisade1kid

Sorry.... do it for 1 then I'll have to do it for everyone....how does a guy pick and choose.

Besides you may be great ,but what about your buddies or your buddies buddies.

.....you can email anyway and we will see what your looking for.

Respect your opinion CK. Nothing wrong with what you say...thanks for the email, btw.

trappingaddiction

I completely understand, you cant trust many people in the world today. Send me an email at [email protected] with any additional info you didn't put, or want to put on here. I fully understand you not naming lakes, I would not name some of my good fishing lakes either.

Feathers Rainin

Yea there are a lot of people who like to ask about lakes but are tight lipped with sharing. Thanks for showing me a spot or two CK. Hope to see you on the water when I make it up that way.

palisade1kid

In the past I've noticed many guys showing other spots and patterns I've shown the original guy to there buds and there buds come with other buds and so on.

One day I made a post about an area.....went back the next day mid week and 30 guys welcome me that I've never met.

The thing that kills me is that I love to show others how to get deadly and the patterns that work well.

It's a love/hate thing.

If we all released fish it would be no big deal.I really don't mind catching crappies with a pre-exisisting hole in their upper lip,bluegills either for that matter.

These lakes I'm working will remain secret...unless I'm hired to guide.

You'll notice that all of the pics no longer have shorelines anymore.

It's either the bottom of the boat or the sky.To bad too because of the beautiful scenery.

Water temps are right at about 60 in the shallows on the north end of the lakes I've been on. The main bodies are running around 50.

I am seeing stacked school in 10-15 fow just adjacent to the shallows.

There are some males moving in and I anticipate them to start nest in the next 8-10 days.

Some females have been caught to in on the shallows.

Remember water temps will dictate exactly what is supposed to happen as to the spawn and when the slabs will be in shallow. Gills are being found now as well.I also anticipate them moving in in greater numbers withing 2 weeks.

I've been seeing some lilly pads extending off of the bottoms providing some structure for the pan fish to hold too.

I've been seeing some small bugs flying around too so the food sources are there.Minnows are surfacing as well.

Good luck out there guys.

palisade1kid

It was a wet day....much needed and it may help the water warm a bit...we did manage many nice fish in several areas from 8-12 fow.

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

Those are some nice fish!! I was also in the area yesterday fishing out about 3 hrs in the rain and was not catching anything we decided to make one last stop on the way in and im glad we did i will have to have my buddy send me the pictures but we caught our limit of 8 to 10 inch sunnies in and hour plus 5 crappies biggest crappie was 11 inches but the record goes to a 11.5 inch pumpkinseed! There was three of us and we rarley keep fish but with the luck we were having we decided too and boy thats was not fun cleaning all those fish... All were caught in 4 to 5 FOW and would take anything put in front of them.

palisade1kid

That's a monster seed....bet it fought!

The weekend was a bit slower with this cooler weather but it played out about the same as it has with the same pattern of working 6-10 fow.

DSC00415.jpg

palisade1kid

The bite is growing stronger.....still out in deeper water than what I'd think ,but with 20-30 degree nights.....water temps today looked to be in the low 50's.

The guys I saw today were all using minnows and struggled....we downsized.

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00449.jpg

bturck

CK: A question comes to mind as you indicate your reluctance to share info. I understand totally. You should see the lake I have a cabin on in Central MN. It is nuts the amount of metro folks that drive 60 miles to line the banks and fill pail upon pail. Anyway my question: How do you protect these spots with people that you guide? I would think they would be braggin to everybody and giving up some hot spot info also.

palisade1kid

I'm more reluctant online than in person.

There are thousands of lurkers screening these forums looking for spots.

Plus patterns change and these fish move a lot so if you don't stay on them maintaining a pulse you can go back and struggle.

I do see guys going back on their own from time to time....as long as they learned to CPR...who cares. I really try to get them into the mode if they don't already CPR.

I do agree....getting a bunch of greedy keeping fishers can hurt a lake,

especially the smaller ones.

Oh and I tell these guys that what they do on their own is their busines but if I see them dragging in hordes of their buddies they will never glean another spot from me.

So far it's working.

palisade1kid

We lost lake warm...it was 46 degrees this morning with snow and 30 degree air temp.

We still had an average day appling finese tactics.

DSC00518-1.jpg

DSC00522-1.jpg

palisade1kid

It was a much warmer day...no wind.

The key to fishing today was to be on the move...as the schools moved we needed to as well...relocating would not take us long.

DSC00013-1.jpg

DSC00020-1.jpg

palisade1kid

It was a fun time seeing Boone again for our openers.

Lance...aka Mr. Clean also joined us for the day.

I'll admit the entire weekend was slow or at least slower than what I've been seeing for crappies.

The walleye bite was there ,but it also was a bit slow.

DSC00060.jpg

Here's Lance with the money fish for Sat.

DSC00041.jpg

We started on crappies...Boone caught his PB!

DSC00066.jpg

Lance and a nice one...

DSC00064.jpg

Thanks again guys for making the day fun!

DSC00063.jpg

Did you stay on BSL or Round? We caught 4 nice eyes on Sat on BSL, wasn't great, but not near as bad as I was thinking it could be.

palisade1kid

Did you stay on BSL or Round? We caught 4 nice eyes on Sat on BSL, wasn't great, but not near as bad as I was thinking it could be.

I had pm'd you to keep the names of the lakes off of the forums.

trappingaddiction

^^ Why?

Because smaller/moderate sized lakes are vulnerable to overfishing/overharvest than larger lakes. He is nice enough to let certain people know, and then they tell everyone else and the next time he goes there, there is 5 times as many people as last time fishing there.

trappingaddiction

then maybe he shouldn't say in the first place....problem solved.

He was being nice enough to let someone know, so it is to late now, now he just knows its best to keep the names to himself.

Feathers Rainin

Thanks for the post. Whats that hen doin off her nest? Make some babies for me on opener.

palisade1kid

The bite is rockin boys...only they have moved with warmer waters now in place of those colder days.

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

palisade1kid

Water temps are in the mid 60's on most lakes or higher.

Gills and crappies are showing up shallow.

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

Crappie2760

nice pictures! I can't wait to get out and catch some Pike this weekend!

Anyone having any luck on Minnewawa for Walleye this year? I used to catch a few but the last few years they have been scarcer than hen's teeth. Any tips on technique for these shallow water walleye would be appreciated also.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Coleman
      By Coleman
      Has anyone been on the water of areas lakes?  Kinda curious what the water temps are hovering around?  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... The lake is still ice covered with big stretches of open water which is expanding daily.  Anglers fishing the lake are fishing in front of the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters LOW.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River during the spring walleye season which lasts through April 14.  The walleye season opens again on May 15th.
      Pike Fishing.  Open water is available in the back bays such as various Four Mile Bay, Bostic Creek, Zippel Bay and backwaters on the Rainy River where pike spawn.  Some nice pike being caught in shallow water areas.  These areas are off of the main lake and perfect for small boats.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   This past week was nothing short of incredible for walleye fishing on the Rainy River.  Large numbers of big walleyes were caught and released.  Many fish 30 - 33+ inches in the mix.  Exactly why anglers love the Rainy River in the spring.  
      Good reports up and down the river including Four Mile Bay.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Most anglers targeting holes in the river.  Some sturgeon being caught on rolling sand dunes with fish laying in the depressions. Wherever there is food and a bit of slacker water!
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Locals are able to get their boats from the mainland (Angle Inlet) to most areas of the islands.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• leech~~
      By leech~~
      Whats your guess? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Most of the lake is still ice covered with the exception of large areas adjacent to inflowing water such as the Lighthouse Gap (Rainy River) and Morris Point Gap (Bostic Creek) areas.  Open water is expanding daily.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14. 
      Open water is becoming available in many of the back bays around the lake where pike spawn.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   River fishing started out strong, slowed down with cold weather and the Big Fork and Little Fork Rivers spilling mud into the Rainy River and now is picking up again.  The water is clearing and water temps are on the rise.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Walleyes caught in various depths down to 35 feet.  
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon aren't as affected by dirty water as they feed by scent.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Various areas are starting to open up.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Mata Eveleth
      By Mata Eveleth
      Hey just trying to find a report that says like on March 20th, 2021 the water level measured at Crane Lake was.. say 18 feet 6 inches.. measured again on April 5th, 2021 and the depth is now at 17 feet six inches.. something simple. been searching around this web site.. and way to complex.. KISS   Keep it short and simple.. over and out.. same thing any web site you just want a bit of info.. and all this run around crap.. pffff.
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Made my long awaited return to the Rush yesterday. Never got a WI license last year, so it was good to be back! Beautiful weather! But conditions could not have been worse for trout! Water was lowest I’ve ever seen! And gin clear, without a single cloud in the sky. We were fortunate to catch the 3 we did. Way too many people out for my liking. But our gear worked, and our boots didn’t leak 😁 so it was a great day as far as I’m concerned.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Ice fishing is all finished up on the main lake.  The focus is on back bays for big pike and areas of open water on the lake for walleyes.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14.  A limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of 6 fish with up to 4 being walleyes.  Walleyes 19.5-28.0 inches must be released with one allowed over 28 inches.  The walleye season runs through April 14th and starts up again May 15th for the MN Fishing Opener.
      On the Rainy River...   Five boat ramps are open on the Rainy River and there are 42 miles of open water for fishing.  Nelson Park in Birchdale, Frontier, Vidas (near Clementson), Timbermill Park in Baudette and the Wheeler's Point access at the mouth of the river 12 miles north of Baudette are all open.  
      River fishing has started out strong.  Good numbers of walleyes are being caught by some with trophy fish in the mix.  A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be excellent with big numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      White suckers are on the move in some of the local rivers. Night crawler on a #6 hook and a 1/4 oz slip sinker brought many to shore the last two days. Crazy light biters. 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Resorts have pulled off fish houses for the season.  There was some ice fishing happening this past weekend but ice conditions are deteriorating quickly.  Big pike and some nice walleyes were caught.  
      Big pike are setting up adjacent shallow water areas of bays, streams and shorelines setting up to spawn.  Soon those open water areas will turn on.  The pike season on LOW is open year round.  The limit is 3 pike.  Pike between 30 - 40 inches must be released.  One pike allowed over 40 inches.  
      On the Rainy River...   The Rainy River is open and numerous boat ramps are open. Nelson Park in Birchdale, Frontier and Vidas (near Clementson) are all open boat ramps.  Timbermill in Baudette will be soon.  River fishing has started out strong.  Some nice walleyes are being caught and it should only get better as water warms.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay, catch and release only.
      Sturgeon fishing has been excellent with big numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 6/30/21.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.
      The majority of ice fishing is finished up at the Angle.  Some locals are still fishing but most are looking forward to open water.  

• Rip De Lips
      By Rip De Lips
      Is the special 40 inch min pike reg for this lake gone? I only see a 10 per day sunfish limit listed. Thanks 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JerkinLips
      Before the slot limit days, I would use my 13" shoe as a gage for what to keep.  Wouldn't have kept an eye under 14" back then.  The slot limit (18" max later raised to 20") helped the Vermilion population significantly, but the recent increase in fishing pressure had definitely decreased the population of quality eaters.   I would like to see a 13" or 14" minimum, but a reasonable compromise would be a 12".  A 12" walleye still has a little "meat on the bones" and would provide an opportunity for those desperate for a meal.  Considering hooking mortality, a person stopping at four 12-14" fish would probably be better than fishing all day to catch four quality eaters.
    • monstermoose78
      Good luck tomorrow!! 
    • monstermoose78
    • going4it
      I got the girls, waiting for the boys to show up. 
    • walleye345
      Hello I am looking for a weight system to help me catch more fish.  I am torn between Snakebite Snaps and Offshore Snap Weights.  They are 2 very different clips. Anyone know anything about either?  Was looking to grab some here soon.  
    • JBMasterAngler
      Looks like natural causes to me. My guess is someone collected all the dead fish from the shoreline, and piled them up to be cleaned up later. 
    • Raven77
      Looking good!
    • SkunkedAgain
      Engine already started and tested....just need to get my boat and motor in the water! Bring it on
    • SkunkedAgain
      I was thinking about that....we really need to get the discussion rolling in the open water thread because....      
    • PeachyHans
      I reported it to the park. If I can get in touch with someone directly I will ask if this is something that happens. Seems to me that if it were the park staff the fish would have been disposed of in the trash or composted. I'm also confused about the state these fish are in (some of them are pretty old and crispy).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.