• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good morning all,

New to the website and post. My brother and I and another have a yearly fishing trip the first full week of June to Lake Wabana, staying at Murphy's Landing Resort. I'm always looking for fishing reports, water temps, etc. for there and surrounding lakes. I know Wabana can be a tough fish with the clarity of the water. When we hit it, the gills and suns are usually on their beds, HOPEFULLY the smallies are too, and the crappies are staging closer. Finally my question, has anyone been there, or knows of someone that has and can report? Maybe water temp too? It was cool last year, made the smallies come in a little later than normal.

Any info for the Iowa boys is greatly appreciated!!

Nitz

Fishing report for Deer River Minnesota, for area lakes Winnibigoshish, Sand, Bowstring, & Round lake. Bg Winnie has had the best action the last few days, fishing Highbanks areas and Plughat point areas, in 10 to 12 feet range 1/8 oz Jig & shiner has been the best presentation. Round lake also has been doing well, especially in the evenings, 9 to 11 feet of water again 1/8 oz jig and shiner being the best lure and bait combo, and a lot of northern pike action, the same goes for Sand lake & Bowstring, and limit is 9 per person as long there under 22 inches and 1 over 36 inches. walleye action has been fair to good, on these bodies of water.

Charlie Worrath

www.mnfishingpros.com

[email protected]

218-246-2159

It was quite a week of fishing nothing but rain wind and cold for the days I fished. I spent my time on winnie and little cutfoot most of the time. Winnie has been good even with all the changing weather. we have been fishing wherever we can get out with the wind, one day it might be stoney one day it might be the dishes and the next plughat. the fish have been hangin a little deeper than normal. I have been catching most of my fish in the 9-11 ft range with 1/8 oz fireball we had on day with no wind and I actually went to a 1/16 oz jig. For minnows we are not seeing alot of winnie shiners yet mostly the shiners from Millacs they tend to be bigger and up here it has been the smaller the better.I have even used a few chubs and caught fish.

when its been too windy for the big lake I have been on little cutfoot and been doing pretty good, most of the fish have been in the 10-14 ft along the breaks and we are even getting a few crappies in there. I doubt that will last much longer but if you get blown off winnie give that a try.

When you are done fishing and ready to cook your fish up dont forget our batter(Charkies gone fishing ) and (fising fever) fish and game baters. you can get them at GDP and most of the resorts around the area

good luck fishing

Jason

A little late on this one but was on a small lake in the GR area this past sunday from 6-8:30 and ended up boating a 28.5, 28,28, 27, 23, 19 and 17 all in 10 f.o.w. I have never caught this many pigs in one evening so it was a blast to say the least. Water temp was around 60 degrees it was a clear evening and no wind.

Deer River, Minnesota, Winnibigoshish, and Leech Lake area, Water temps are still on the cool side, hovering around mid to high fifties, so with a couple more warm days to increase the water temps a few more degrees, the bite should improve. The bite is pretty good now on both bodies of waters, 9 to 12 feet range, depending on the wind and cloud cover. Jig and minnow, preferable a small shiner are still the best presentation at this time, as you can catch other species that are mix in. Still look for shallower area, like Tamarack flats on Winnie & Portage Bay on Leech, for the best action.

Charlie Worrath

Mnfishing Pros guide service

Deer River,Winnibigoshish and Leech lake area, Water temperatures are

still below sixty degrees!! Despite cold fronts moving through the area

every other day the Walleye bite continues to be good. It seems if

we have some cloud cover you had better be looking into the shallower

water sometimes as shallow as six foot. Jig and a shiner of course still

seems to be the go to bait and the lighter the jig you can use the

better, some days its been actually better to feed a little line on a

bite to improve hook ups because of the sluggish nature the Walleyes are

sometimes in.Walleye fishing is also very good on our smaller body's of

water such as Bowstring,Sand and Round Lake all have been giving up good

numbers of fish. Good luck to all.

Jeff Skelly

Mnfishing Pros Guide Service

jeffy, you don't get the bite up there.. maybe you need to call down to the 612 area to get the good bite that going on up there in the north woods. love Eddy!!!

Deer River, Minnesota, Winnibigoshish and Leech Lake area. Walleye

Fishing On the two big lakes continues to be good to getting better

every day. I fished Leech last Wednesday and caught good numbers of fish

under the slot, plus alot of fish in the slot! It seemed the magic depth

was 15 to 16 foot and again the Northland Fireball Jig tipped with a

shiner was what they really wanted. Lake Winnie continues to produce

good numbers of Walleyes fishing a jig and minnow in 8 to 10 foot of

water. Some days you have to move around a little to find them it seems

but at the end of the day we are usually in pretty good shape. Bait

dealers still have spot tailed shiners left but starting to get low so

that means it wont be long and the go to bait will be a Lindy Rig and

Leech! Good luck and good fishing.

Well even though the temps outside havent been all that warm and the water temps are still below 60 on most lakes I have been fishing, the walleyes seem to be starting to move to the deeper water. Fished Bowstring, Winnie And trout lake the last few days and I have been getting most of our fish in the19-22 ft of water. The bars are starting to go. We are still able to get shiners so the northland gumball and a shiner is my bait of choice. I have had to go up a notch on size in some instances so now I try to use a 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz depending on the wind. If the wind is blowing I think the shoreline bite is still good but we have had some calm days and the humps seem to outproduce the shoreline. So its time to break out the lindy rods and we will probably have to start thinking about leeches and crawlers real soon up here.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

fishing was ok we each boated around 10-12 walleyes a couple northern and one smallie but the biggest was only 23 inches

Jason

• 1 month later...

Hey Jason...I will be up to Bowstring around the 20th of August and was wondering about a fishing report for that lake. Thanks in advance for any replys.

Ron

• 4 months later...

Depending on the location, I have heard of as little as 2 inches all the way up to 12-13 inches. Fishing has been decent for the most part.

What I would recommend is find someone to go up to the lake a few days before you go up and shake things down. Have them check the ice conditions, shake down the bite, and heat your place up and shovel things out for you. Then, you show up and...BINGO. You walk out with sneakers and pound the fish. smile

Was steadily on Kegs all weekend. Ice conditions varied from 6 inches to 13 inches. I visited or dropped lines from Tioga Bay all the way to Woodtick Creek.

Fishing was ok depending on what you were wrestling.

Pike are cruising for the people spearing. Lots of 26 to 30 inchers are showing themselves.

Perch, panfish, and crappies are being caught in the bays although consistent action is hard to come by.

Walleys on the other hand are being on the finicky side. We hit multiple spots in the morning and evening Friday thru Sunday. Friday evening was the best. We iced 8 between 2 of us, 16 - 18 inchers. Friday morning skunked, Saturday morning one, Saturday evening a couple eaters, Sunday morning 2 eaters, Sunday evening skunked. Eyes are showing themselves for that half hour of low light, but depending on where you are, one spot they might be lock jaw, the next spot few may eat. Not the early ice Kegs eyes we are used to seeing.

Lots of people out fishing this weekend. I would STILL NOT ADVICE TRUCKS DRIVING ON THE ICE!!! Be safe. Kegs has been known to eat full size trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fished a bunch of smaller lakes in the area for crappies for the past week and the bite has been as hot as first ice bite. The fish have been extemely aggressive all day long even on the clearer watered lakes when ya usually have to get em at low light. I fished pokie Saturday evening in search of one of those plump keggy wall mounters, but I left with tail between my legs and a full minnow bucket frown

• 4 weeks later...

Might be that no one has much to report right now. Personnaly I havnt been out as much as I would like, but on the plus side, I'm working much more this winter than usual, Thank you Pipeline!!

boatfixer might be right. walleye fishin has slowed for the most part from everyone i talked to. You might still find a good bite once in awhile but you have to put your time in or be lucky. I don't think the crappy guys are sayin anything (tight lip syndrome) so that maybe good or bad .i don't fish crappy's till late ice- early suntan weather. Trout fishin was been hit n miss but i have'nt put as much time into that as in the past . Have'nt been makin the trips like last year, economy has something to do with that. They say that "no news is good news", but with fishing reports, I think it means Boatfixer is right.......no fish are bitting.

We've also been subjected to some fairly uneven weather patterns as of late. Those that are fortunate enough to have more opportunities to hit the ice may be keeping up with the different patterns. Unfortunately for us weekend warriors, its hit and miss...