• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

Work is extremely slow and a coworker just bought a few new "Toys" for ice fishing so we figured we would do a mid week trip out to test out his gear. Got set up around 830 finally got heater working around 9.  Fished a deeper basin between shore and an island.  Turned on the graph and the fish were solid underneath us.  He actually thought it was interference on his graph initially.  He took out his MH rod with 10-14 pound braided line on it with a 1/4 oz lead jig and asked what he needed to use for bait...umm you got anything smaller?   I got some 1/8 oz maybe a 1/16 oz jig.  I showed him what I've been using and he asked if I was messing with him.  So I dropped my line down his hole since he had the graph on and proceded to pull up a 10 inch crappie in 1 minute.  He examined my jig and said I don't know if I tied that jig on if it'd go down the hole because my line is soo thick.  Just use mine and I handed him my Power Noodle with a Free Fall on it.  Minute maybe two later he was pulling crappies up.  We proceeded to catch fish almost solid all day but the best bite was between 10-12 and finally around 12:15/12:30 we forced ourselves to take a quick lunch break.  A lot more 6-8 inch gills with a few being over 8 paid us a visit getting thrown back down the hole.  Right before lunch when it was HOT the crappies came through and we had a school of large crappies with a few being over 13 with the biggest being 13.75" that was a hog!

Right away my coworker was using the 4 mm with a Ripper Plastic by Panfish pirate and he didn't believe he could catch fish without bait so he was tipping them with a wax worm till he saw I wasn't using any and was it was saving a lot of time.  He was using a Wonder Glow jig and in the morning a Bubble Gum colored Ripper was the key then in the afternoon we switched to a Chartreuse color and it seemed to make a difference.  I was using a pink and white jig with stripes in 4 mm with the same Ripper plastics.  

At the end of the day he decided he was going to try his stuff.  He took his "Smallest" jig he had which was still about a size 6 or 7 mm and tied it onto his braid and dropped it down with a Ripper.  NOTHING.  He ended up having to put wax worms on it and he finally started catching blue gills.  He caught a few of them then switched back to what he was using and instantly pulled up a crappie.  He kinda proved the line and size of jigs made a difference for catching crappies in clear water.

We had 13.5 inches of ice and 12 inches of it was clear ice.  I did drive my SUV out after verifying my path was safe and the ice still had almost an inch of "Head space" on top so we weren't sinking the ice.  Felt great not having to pull our gear out by hand!

20191218_140801.jpg

20191218_111402.jpg

20191218_110553.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Personal records are meant to be broken and last night it was smashed. Fished all over Becker and Ottertail Counties trying to find big panfish with Jesse Thalmann with Thalmann's Guide Service. At dark I had a huge mark come in and inhale my 4 mm Panfish Pirates Wonder Glow with a Bubble Gum Ripper plastic. It put one heck of a workout on my 32" Yogi Rods LLC Power Noodle. If your looking for a fun trip hit up Jesse and book a trip. If interested in plastics use CHILL5 for discount, get some before your buddy does.

received_626920378051996.jpeg

20191223_104810.jpg

FB_IMG_1577133980501.jpg

FB_IMG_1577133975497.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was out on Saturday. We found between 8-12 inches of good clear ice. The problem is the crusty snow layer on top and the slush in the middle. We walked and man do i wish i owned a tracked machine. Once you get off the main path/road it is sloppy and deep.

Fishing was slow but we were also limited on how much we wanted to move around. Don't think i will be taking the truck out this year unless its on a plowed resort road :)

• Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Yes our groups fishing up in that area has came to a halt for now. . Conditions are brutal  the snow and slush are a real nightmare to say the least. Hopefully this colder weather tightens things up and the snow settles some. Could be some time or if at all before vehicle traffic happens up there. Maybe in a few weeks LIda will have a road plowed. As for now the Panfish gods win the battle but hopefully soon I'm back for redemption. ?

• Thumbs Up 2

I have not been out but I have been hearing reports and getting pictures from lakes and it does not sound good.  A guide around Henning went out after the storm and saw a water spot and when he went to investigate he dropped all the way through.  There was 10 inches of ice prior to the storm and I pulled his fish house off of that lake with the ranger on the Saturday before the storm.  I am hearing a lot of reports of 4-8 inches of slush but in other lakes 10-14 inches of slush.  Roads that were made prior are usually pretty good if you can find them but the moment you get off of them you are now testing out the height capabilities of your muck boots.  

My hope is that people stay home and let this slush freeze some so it can freeze solid then we can go drive back out there with atv's and side by sides.  I was seeing on some lakes 3/4 ton pickups and tandem axle fish houses out on them.  When I drilled a hole though I only found 10 inches of ice and when we were fishing a half mile away from them our water level started going up and down 3 inches and it was them leaving the ice causing waves that far away.  I haven't driven anything other than my Rav 4 and the Ranger onto the ice so far this year.  

Sorry haven't made posts lately, I got sicker than a dog right before the first of the year and am just now starting to feel better again.  

• I Like it 1

For anyone wondering what it is like out there on some lakes here are a few pictures I have collected from Facebook over the weekend.  Pickup going through is a guide on Ottertail.  The other two pictures is a public access that had a plowed road then the slush showed up after people using the road.  Out in front of our cabin it looks like a lake but our only hope is that by pushing the snow the slush will freeze up solid and then we can drive on that after this cold spell.  

This weekend I'm throwing around the ideas of fishing southern Minnesota just to avoid the snow and slush.  I have reports of fish biting by Morris and a Women's Anglers of Minnesota event is going on in Cokato area so we might head that way and pray things stiffen up around here.

Pictures...I didn't take them but for safety of others I think the owners wouldn't mind me sharing for people's safety.

Screenshot_20200105-112109_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-112111_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-193254_Facebook.jpg

• Wow, ❤ 1

We were out in the Ottertail area Saturday in a UTV with tracks and it was tough getting around even in that...many times the slush/water was so deep and bogging us down we knew if we stopped we'd never get going again, which was unfortunate because several of those spots were right where we wanted to drop a line.  It was fairly warm Saturday but if the temps were around Zero or below I don't think it would be possible with the build up of ice underneath and in the tracks it would have froze it solid; so thank goodness we had unusually warm temps. At the end of the day we ended up with a couple of limits of nice crappies but we worked for them and the water/slush took most of the fun out of it.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woodspliter said:

Thanks for the reports guys!  Now I won't feel so bad if I don't get to go this weekend.

I'm volunteering south of St. Cloud to get onto safe ice down there.  I just don't want to tear equipment up around here. In my opinion with the weather forecast it's best to wait one weekend, watch the Bison win and the Vikings lose drink your sorrows away then Sunday recover from drinking your sorrows away.  Let everything freeze up solid and hit it hard on the following weekend.  This cold that is forcasted will help us out so much!  I'm just hoping guys don't go out then accesses and lakes get torn up then it freezes and we have giant ruts to fight rest of the year especially snowmobiles driving around.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Well not much of a fishing reports but was on one local lake Sunday. Last week ton of slush this weekend if it had slush it's a brick. If no snow its sugar sand. darn near got stuck when found virgin snow and sank 18 inches. Fishing was slow but fish were just moving around and it was too cold to hole hop. I'll be out next weekend to plow roads to get hard side out. 

Did see a report of 4" ice and 12" slush frozen on star. Stay safe

• Thanks 1

Belated report from the weekend following the New Year. Lots of snow, lots of slush. Ice conditions at that time were not great. About 6-8" of good ice and then layers of water and frozen slush made up the top 6" of "ice". Observed open holes that water was circulating up through that weren't refreezing. Fishing was good though. Lots of nice crappies and bluegills were caught in shallow water but fishing in the deep slush and snow was miserable. Also caught my personal best crappie a 15.5" beast on a jigging spoon and minnow head.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • I Like it 1

Way to go grey ghost!!!  that is a beast of a crappie what did you end up doing with it?  After getting my 15 1/8" over christmas I'm hoping to get a 16 now lol always gotta have goals.  

As for the slush you talked  about I am hearing lots of guys saying all that slush froze up solid in the past week and if it's slushy its new slush pockets.  I'm hoping to get out this weekend and see what I can do to try and get our hard sided house out and if I can set my portable up on another lake or if the wind will be too strong.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chill! I let it go and plan to get a replica mount. 16" crappie has always been my goal too but this was an awesome fish. Yours was a great fish too.

Thought it would take an extended cold spell to lock all that slush up. Hopefully your reports are right and the lakes have healed up so you can get your house out where you want it. Keep up the great reports.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

I have only been on one lake (BP) and there was a ton of slush prior to the freeze up and none last weekend driving around with the Ranger.  Buddies have been out to other lakes but are reporting the same thing in our area.  Now up by Park Rapids I'm hearing they are still finding slush.  I don't know if the snow up there was fluffier or thicker but it's helping insulate the lakes better up there and the slush is causing some issues still.  I was originally going to do a Facebook Page get together on Saturday on Pelican Lake but with the wind forecast I'm staying off of that lake and might try getting our perm house out onto BP to get out of the wind.  Times I wish our house was road legal so could take it to the lakes I actually fish at night but it is what it is.  I'm just hoping we don't have huge drifts on the north shore after this storm comes in this weekend because that's where we are at lol.  If I can get out I'll be making about 2 miles of total roads and I'll have a better grasp on what the lakes conditions are going to be like.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Genes Sport shop in Perham or Park Region CO-OP in Pelican Rapids otherwise many other places  along the way depending where you are comeing from. Fletchers Bait in Sauk Centre  is another great bait store I like to stop at on way through heading up. Denny is a great guy always willing to help any way he can and has some top notch bait to boot.   But rarely do I buy spikes I always buy in Bulk from Speedy Worm before early ice order 10,000 spikes and split them and the cost with a few other fishing friends.  I Maintain them in a bait fridge by simply regulateing temps and changing out fresh sawdust every so often last for at least a few months. .This would be another option for you and pretty economical  plus you will receive them in a few days. 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thanks 1

Tried big pine today. Plowed out north access. Got onto ice and snow was flowing nicely had speed then started loosing speed and the slush started coming over my plow. Backed up got hung up maybe 150 yards out. Hour half later I finally got myself free. Crossed a 3 inch wide crack and it was shooting up like a geyser. I was wet and cold from hip down. About 14 inches of slush. Got off the ice and called it a day. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

• 1 month later...

Well we weren't local last weekend but tried ice fishing in Milwaukee harbor. went with a guide and got on the ice at 630 by 655 I was taking pictures of my fish. At 722 buddy was getting pics with his fish and that's when action stopped. fished Sunday from 630-230 and had 4 bites 2 fish. Monday 1 bite no fish. Was an interesting trip.

Going to be fishing locally this weekend then might be scouting a lake by Alexandria the following weekend. 

Reports...obviously second hand. Lake travel is getting better but still random slush pockets. Also hearing more roads being plowed. if you haven't caught on hearing not much for action. very light bite and guys doing ok are using small jigs and cameras help knowing you have a bite. 

20200216_065541~2.jpg

20200216_072245~3.jpg

• l Love It 1

You know it was a busy weekend when you get to sleep in Monday morning to go to work.

Saturday I guided for Thalmann Guide Service. had 5 clients from SD and 3 from Kentucky. weather was about perfect for hole hoping. drilled a ton of holes to find fish up shallow. In the evening I took off to a different lake to scout the night bite. We had a huge town in our usually vacant spot. We ended up with some nice crappies and biggest was 14 inches. 

Sunday took off from access at 600 and instantly was on the fish. Tulibee season has begun!!!! With our groups I think we got 57 tulibee and 1 sucker. 

After breakfast/lunch a nap was in order for me!!

20200222_104729.jpg

20200222_132242.jpg

20200222_135630.jpg

20200222_194726.jpg

20200223_102618.jpg

20200223_100927.jpg

20200223_102646.jpg

FB_IMG_1582510170693.jpg

20200222_112336.jpg

20200222_113858(0).jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been busy and finally home to fish locally!!!

Saturday we hit a lake I haven't been on since deer hunting. Second spot we tried we found them! Gills and crappies were in 12 feet of water 2-3 feet below the ice. Ton of fish. Had to increase our size of presentation to deter smaller fish. 

Saturday night after a great lunch and most taking a nap we got back out. At the access guy flew buy us as we unloaded and dropped his suv into the ice. Had to get out his passenger side door to ask me to pull him out. Hey I made $5 pulling him out, $4 in quarters lol. Fishing was slow but if they came through the crappies inhaled the lures. I set the ladies up in the house but Katie was on fire, heard minnows were her secret. 

Sunday tried lake 3 of weekend. Drilled ton of holes from 5-12 feet and that 7-9 feet we found the huge gills and crappies. Kristen got a 9.75" gill and right as we were tearing down Scott landed 13.5" crappie. Color made huge difference and when I lost my pink plastic and put green on I quit catching them, switched back to pink and boom back to catching. 

Sorry if too many pictures. Scott and Kristen took amazing pictures and I stole them lol. The colors are amazing!!!

FB_IMG_1584409741152.jpg

FB_IMG_1584409765557.jpg

FB_IMG_1584409774760.jpg

FB_IMG_1584409777662.jpg

FB_IMG_1584322108300.jpg

FB_IMG_1584322123760.jpg

FB_IMG_1584322103758.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

13 hours ago, Rick said:

Ummmm...WOW @Chill62 ??

Hopefully that's a good Wow lol...my ex used to say WOW too but whole different meaning! lol  These are just a sliver of the photo's we took.  We were trying out a new plastic Kristen was using and had a camera down recording it for action and showing how aggressive the fish were.

FYI Kristen's photo got shared by Ice Team's Facebook page.

• Yayyyy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got out the last three days and I need a vacation from my outing lol.

Friday we fished am for tulibee and ended up with 19 before switching in the afternoon for crappies. Found a deep hole and the slabs were STACKED UP!!! Hole was 30-36 feet and fish were 18-bottom. Had to drill a ton of holes and stay mobile. Literally you'd have fish in one hole and 5 feet away nothing. Average size was 12 inches with a few 14s. 

Saturday tried for tulibee again and I think we got 10 for 7 of us. Switched to the same crappie hole and first 5 fish up the hole were tulibee lol. After a while we found crappies but just couldn't find them. Switched to 4 or 5 other spots then we finally found them. Thought were perch because bottom 5 feet were solid fish. Crappies were averaging 11 inch. Had to stay mobile and drill a lot of holes. kept enough for a supper. 

Sunday morning my buddy and I went after big tulibee and got a late start (9 am start). We started by targeting spots people hadn't been lately. Instantly we had 3 on the ice. It was weird they were coming out of the mud. After hour half we quit graphing them so took off for new spots. We ended up with 4 fish biggest two were 4 lbs 4 oz and 3 lbs 12 oz. After that we took off for crappies again. We parked the ranger and guess fish wanted to hide under it. Literally had 10 holes drilled with 10 feet of the ranger and we just kept circling the ranger. We did film a YouTube vide and hopefully the wind wasn't too strong for the audio. 

Sadly I doubt I will make it back out again. 

20200327_182418.jpg

20200329_123234.jpg

20200329_125402.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

• 2 months later...

Well I have been slacking but we really haven't been getting into them lately. Saturday we got into some right before wind picked up and had to move spots. 

Eyes are switching to leeches, find edges of weeds and you'll find them. Lindy with plain bead edge of weeds.  Saturday we were pulled up and 5 min later girlfriend says I got a weed...ya not really. Measured 30 inches on the bump board and was released. 

Crappies are aggressive and we had best luck 7-12 feet casting up letting it sink and pull back. White soft plastics were ticket. Tried out new Panfish Pirate Ripper XL and wow huge action! Switched to same size twister tail and color and no luck. 

Good luck!

20200606_090006.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  An excellent week of fall walleye fishing.  Bring lots of bait as the fish are active.  There are lots of small fish in the system that bodes well for the future.  You will catch your eaters and other larger fish, but will usually have to sort through small fish along the way.
      Anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner is the go to method.  Most fish are usually adjacent to the bottom.  Live shiners are available and effective.  Some anglers still using spinners with a minnow or trolling crankbaits.
      The best reports are coming from 17-27 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths. 
      In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers. 
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River, consequently, there are walleyes around.  Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat.  
      Trolling crankbaits is an extremely effective technique in the river.  Also great in locating walleyes or when fish are scattered.   
      Sturgeon activity continues good.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Fall fishing up at the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic for walleyes.  In some areas, walleyes are stacked and active with big numbers of fish being caught.  
      Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great.
      Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.  
      Big crappies are active in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 24-30' around various structure.
      Muskie action was hot this week.  Jigging large baits has boated good numbers of fish as well as casting and trolling. 
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      Want to avoid crossing the border?  Charter transport via water and ice and flights over the lake are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air both this fall and into the winter months via ice.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A really good week of fall walleye fishing.  Big numbers of fish being caught.  It should only improve as water temps get cooler.  This fall has been unseasonably warm. Big numbers of walleyes and saugers are set up along the south shore and anglers are catching a lot of fish.  
      Most anglers are anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner.  Live shiners are available and effective.  There are still a lot of walleyes being caught on spinners with minnows surprisingly.  Trolling crankbaits has also been catching a lot of fish.
      The best reports are coming from 18-28 feet of water across the south shore in areas such as Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Graceton Beach, Long Point and Rocky Point.  Various schools within these depths. 
      In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, sturgeon and even a few crappies are in the mix for walleye anglers. 
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River and more and more walleyes are entering the river each week.  Fishing has picked up but most believe when water temps reach the 40's, it will get even better.  Currently, temps are in the low 50's.
      Jigging with a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are tough to beat this time of year. 
      Some reports of big fish being caught, but not in big numbers... yet.  
      Sturgeon activity continues good.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Fall fishing up at the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig and plastic.  Some strong reports with warmer than normal water of spinners with a minnow or plastic being the hot bait. 
      Gold, pink and/or glow colored jigs and spinners are doing well.  Reminder, no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, consequently anglers boating into Ontario waters reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great.
      Various areas of structure such as points, reefs and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  12 - 26 feet is the range depending upon the spot.  
      Big crappies are in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 25-30' around various structure.
      Muskie anglers report good fishing overall.  Trollers reporting mixed results.  One day is great, the other not so much.  Covering water trolling is a strong fall muskie technique and should get better as water cools.   
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• MNAngler01
      By MNAngler01
      Hey guys, not sure if any of you fish this stretch of river often… I’ve found a lot of old inactive forums and thought I’d start one. Has anyone been out on this stretch recently?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  An incredible week of walleye fishing and it should only get better throughout the month as the water cools.  With traditional fall walleye movements around the lake, big numbers of walleyes and saugers are set up along the south shore and anglers are catching a lot of fish.  
      Most anglers are anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner.  Live shiners are available and effective.  There are still walleyes being caught on spinners with minnows as well as trolling crankbaits.
      The best reports are coming from 18-30 feet of water.  
      In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch and sturgeon are in the mix for walleye anglers. 
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River and more and more walleyes are entering the river each week.  Fishing has picked up consequently.
      Jigging with a minnow, in many cases a frozen or live shiner, is the go to method.  Emerald shiners are a favorite native forage for walleyes in this system.  
      With 42 miles of navigable river and lots of boat ramps from Wheeler's Point through Baudette east to Birchdale, there are many stretches of river to fish.  Good reports up and down the river.  Schools of walleyes are moving through chasing shiners.
      Sturgeon activity continues to pick up with good fall reports.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test, circle hook and a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Fall fishing up at the Angle and just over the border adjacent to the Angle continues to be excellent.  Most anglers are using a jig and minnow or jig / plastic with some still pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.
      3/8 ounce gold, pink or glow colored jigs have been hot.  With no live, frozen or dead bait being able to be transported over the border from the U.S. into Canada, NW Angle anglers fishing into Ontario reporting various plastics on their jigs and spinners working great.
      Areas with structure and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold good fish.  14 - 27 feet is the range depending upon the spot.  
      Big crappies are in their fall spots and being caught on jigs and minnows in 25-30' around various structure.
      Muskie anglers report good fishing overall.  During stable weather, fish were shallow.  Cold front pushed the muskies deeper.  Covering water trolling is a strong fall muskie technique and should get better as water cools.   
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The jig bite has begun and walleyes and saugers are cooperating very nicely.  The walleyes continue to transition to fall locations including in 25-30' in front of Pine Island and west along the south shore have been hot.  
      A nice mix of walleyes and saugers with perch and pike mixed in.  Lots of good eaters along with some sorting of smaller fish.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with a fathead or emerald shiner.  Strong jig colors, gold, orange, glow white, pink or a combo.
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success.  This is a good method if the jigging bite isn't happening or if water goes flat. 
      The month of October is an excellent time to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchor up and jig over the side of the boat for a very enjoyable and typically memorable day.  Charters and guides are available with area resorts.
      Pike continue to be active with the cooling water temps.  
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River and overall the walleye fishing has been good.  
      Most walleye anglers on the river are anchoring up along a current seam or on the edge of a hole with a jig and minnow.  Try different areas.  There are 42 miles of navigable river and lots of boat ramps.  In some cases, it is helpful to find your own spots and get away from other boats.  
      Sturgeon activity has picked up as well with good fall reports.  A gob of crawlers and/or frozen shiners on a sturgeon rig (18 inch leader made of 60lb test with a 2-3 ounce no roll sinker) is the ticket.  The keep season ends September 30, 2021.  The catch and release season continues through April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing this week.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Spinners with crawlers or minnows still producing.
      Areas with structure and sandy areas in neck down areas continue to hold fish.  14 - 19 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto on structure and neck down areas.
      Big crappies being caught on jigs and minnows in 25-32' around structure.
      Muskie anglers report good fish being boated trolling and casting shiny crankbaits.   
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Spent the weekend at Vacationland, Otttertail. Lake level down almost 3 feet so only one landing with enough water to launch a boat. With 20 to 30 MPH winds and 3 to 4 ft. waves we chose to fish surrounding smaller lakes. Had great time Catch & Release Bass fishing. My prise money fish was a sunfish.

My giant "Ottertail Money Sunfish" he looks sorta small cause I have very large hands and I held him a long way from the camera. He did put up a good fight. He is still swimming.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fun week of walleye fishing as the water temps cool to the low 60's and fall colors have started.  The walleye are transitioning to fall locations.  Three different methods used to catch walleyes this week.  Drifting spinners, trolling crankbaits and anchored up and jigging with a minnow, which is becoming more effective each week.  
      Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  Jigging with a frozen shiner or live fathead has really started to be effective.  Give it 30-40 minutes and set up in a different spot if there is no action.  
      Congrats to all MN Tournament Trail tournament anglers this past week.  The winning team had a 7.52 lb avg per walleye for 10 fish.  There are a lot of big walleyes in Lake of the Woods right now.
      Daily limit is a combined limit of six walleyes and saugers (with up to 4 being walleyes).   Don't forget the slot, 19.5" - 28" must be returned with one allowed over 28" per day.  
      Fall is an excellent time to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchor up and jig over the side of the boat for a very enjoyable and typically memorable day.
      Pike are active and most are caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  The feedbag is definitely on.  
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far, good angler reports and nice walleyes being caught.  Fall on the river is nice as a small boat will work just fine.
      Most walleye anglers on the river are anchoring up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from Wheeler's Point through Baudette to Birchdale with lots of boat ramps.  
      Sturgeon activity has picked up as well with good fall reports.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow continue to be effective.  As water cools, minnows on some days are outfising crawlers.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto on structure and neck down areas.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  A lot of fish are caught on figure eight.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great walleye action this week with numerous pike mixed in.  Walleyes are starting to gravitate to fall patterns.  Walleyes being caught in various depths 13 - 34 feet of water.  Most anglers are still drifting with spinners or trolling crankbaits, but the jig bite is picking up steam. 
      Water temps in the upper 50's and low 60's.  Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  
      Reef fishing is starting to pick up.  Jigging with a frozen shiner on or near reefs is a fall goto and things are just starting.
      September and October are excellent months to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchored up with a jig and minnow, this is a fun time of year.
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners are continuing to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far and walleyes are showing up.  Anglers are catching fish in the river.  Fall is here.
      Most walleye anglers on the river will anchor up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  Fishing is taking place from Wheeler's Point to Baudette to Birchdale.
      Fall is a great time to fish sturgeon, bass and pike on the river, although the vast majority of anglers are after walleyes.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow is effective.  Minnows on some days are starting to be preferred by the walleyes.  Try both.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  Some nice fish boated this week.

• AnglerJake
      By AnglerJake
      Heading up to Garden Lake Resort Sep 16 - 24. Any reports or tips from up there? Thanks!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really strong week of walleye fishing.  
      One of the main areas to fish is still deep mud.  Basically 28 - 34 feet of water.  Various schools of walleyes move around the basin relating to different kinds of forage.  
      Big walleyes eat a lot of everything but really key in on tullibees (ciscos) who live primarily in the basin.  Other forage can be perch, perch minnows, emerald shiners, blood worms, crayfish, and the list goes on.  
      Various schools holding shallower, over rocks or sand, based on bait options in that area.  Reefs are still holding fish, normally on the sides and base where rock meets the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are still very effective for catching walleyes this week.
      As we approach mid to late September and October, the jig bite will fire back up!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes hanging out in some of the deeper holes throughout the river.  Moving up and down the river, hitting numerous spots until you find which areas have walleyes is a good method for success.
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits to cover water.  Oftentimes, walleyes won't show up on electronics if they are laying in a depression in the river bottom.  Only way to know is to fish the area.
      Bass and pike are plentiful on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler is effective.
      Underwater points, sunken islands and neck down areas with a bit of current in 18 - 27 feet holding fish.  These areas are good areas to jig.
      Pike and muskie anglers are still finding good fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW, the NW Angle, Baudette and the Rainy River at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Tom7227
      I can't figure  out how enough heat would form to cause a problem. What part could be getting hot?  That sort of makes sense but then it will start and quit again quite quickly.  I don't  know what engine it has and that's a problem with it.  Finding the parts is troublesome even with Jack's Small Engine.
    • smurfy
      thats the engine on the one i have.
    • delcecchi
      The not restarting for hours....   Could it possibly be an ignition thing where as it gets hot it stops providing spark and has to cool all the way down to start again?     That's the only thing besides flooding I can think of.   Typically, isn't the spark on small engines produced by magnets on the flywheel going by a coil?    So when it quits and won't restart, is it getting spark?      And is the plug wet when it quits?        Has it got the Honda motor or something else?   
    • smurfy
      That's odd Tom, I have a power washer from northern tool also. Not sure which one but only issues I've had with mine is I had to replace both tires???🙄🙄
    • Tom7227
      Full throttle before I even start to spray.  When trying to restart it pulls easy and I keep the wand open to assure it doesn't get backed up.  I agree it has to be a fuel issue.  But the tank to engine line is a straight shot except for the fuel shut off valve.  When I was replacing the carb the fuel would run out of the fuel line quite a bit until I remembered to shut off the fuel line.   The gas has been brand new non-oxy every time I have tried it.  
    • Wanderer
      When you try to restart it does it pull easy or hard?   When mine has water pressure built up, it pulls hard to start.  I trigger the wand to release the pressure so it starts easier.   Maybe the hours for yours is due to pressure that needs to bleed off?  Hard to tell not being there.     I can kill mine at low throttle just by spraying.  Are you running yours at a high throttle position?  Again, hard to tell without hearing the RPMs of the engine.   Otherwise for fuel, it could be a blockage or venting issue anywhere in the system. If there wasn’t a change in performance with the change of carburetor, the carburetor is probably not the issue.  If it sat with old gas for a while something could be varnished up and the engine starves for gas until it quits.  Taking hours to get enough fuel flowing again to run seems odd if you actually get to run it hard enough to spray for even a few minutes.   Hearing the way it behaves would help a lot for me.   I’ve had pressure washers that you’re not supposed to let idle for extended time without spraying and others like my current one that bypass just fine while it’s running.  I’m just wondering if your killing it on high pressure AND low idle.  Mine will die every time that way.
    • Tom7227
      It is a Powerhorse, the northern tool house brand.  It dies while I am spraying.  If I replaced the carb what more fuel issues could there be?  The carb replacement took about 5 minutes and was extremely simple.
    • JerkinLips
      I retired 2½ years ago.  My wife finally agreed to move up north after she retires the end of 2021.  When she retires there is nothing that would keep us in the cities.  Blaine has been very peaceful over these turbulent times, but I have a lot of buckshot for my three 12ga shotguns just to be safe.  Anywhere from Barnum to Soudan would be fine for us (easy day trip to Vermilion).  Would go as far west as Grand Rapids.  Would love to live on Vermilion but the prices are just too high now.  Best of luck to you.
    • smurfy
      How far north?????🤔😅
    • leech~~
      Wife just retired. I retire next May. Hope to follow you north before the next round of riots and lotting in Brooklyn Center! 👍

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.